1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

How the game is played

Discussion in 'General' started by Skream11, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Skream11

Skream11 Trainee Engineer

Looking round the forum i see alot of people want alot of things from this game like planets and all out war and such but i dont want it to become like an fps or something star warsy. i think the best description of what this game should be comes from it's description on steam. I see space engineers as more of a co-operative survival game not to say a few rival skirmishes wouldnt be fun as long as it's not COD idiots runnning around firing guns wildly.

Steam description:
    <h2>"Space Engineers concentrates on construction aspects, but can be played as a tactical shooter as well. We expect players to avoid engaging in direct man-to-man combat and instead use their creativity and engineering skills to build war machines and fortifications. Space Engineers shouldn’t be about troops; it should be about the machinery you build."

</h2>

2. Tkindle

Tkindle Trainee Engineer

It's a sandbox game with large open areas and large amounts of weaponry that will presumably be built using limited resources. Put people in that situation and they will fight over them no matter what. I would be completely prepared to expect pirates in fighters landing in your ship after blowing a hole into it so they can shoot you and your crew and take the ship as their own or to salvage it. Only thing affecting how often this will happen depends on how easy it will be to get resources. If resources are too common people will get bored and go to town on each other for fun, (lots of Dayz servers have this issue) although the ability to make completely custom bases and ships that you have to sink time into might change that a little. If resources are too rare players will feel the need to use piracy to get what they need. Although if in game communications works really well, like in game proximity voice chat, being able to speak to other near ships through a radio transmission system and whatnot we might get more people teaming up. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

3. Skream11

Skream11 Trainee Engineer

i dont particularly mind the idea of pirates as long as its tactical and not just griefers but what i meant was i feel it would ruin the experience if everyone was just building ships just to kill each other just for the hell of it. Make alliances, trade with each other. that what i would like, then as you say the fighting follows naturally as alliances break and people need resources i feel it will be much cleaner that way.

4. Ironmike

Ironmike Apprentice Engineer

I see it playing out like minecraft - for multiplayer, each server will be different and up to the server owners to strike whatever balance (or lack of) between the social/explorer/achiever/killer playertypes.

5. solver

solver Trainee Engineer

Personaly i guess it will be as how i play minecraft, 95% survival with friends and building cool stuff, 5% pvp.

6. snakeboy1

snakeboy1 Trainee Engineer

agree^^^^

7. Artikbot

Artikbot Trainee Engineer

If I am to be dead honest, I hope there are COD idiots running around firing guns wildly. My heavily armored fleet carrier will love blowing the ever living crap out of them for then allowing me to descend on a small fighter to harvest their lifeless corpses for resources.

8. Lockerd

Lockerd Apprentice Engineer

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

a billion times that, I've already made my battlecruiser with weapon ports in mind.

9. PyroWeasel

PyroWeasel Trainee Engineer

I know I will probably be flamed for this, but I really want to do a lot of Pvp. EVE online captured my imagination for a while, but this game has huge potential in the field I'm most interested in.

EVE let me customize my ship layout... To an extent. SE will fulfill my dreams. I can do combat with other players using a ship of my design. Decked out however I want. Design my ship from scratch for a specific role.

Of course I will want to do the survival portion as well, but I get easily bored with this.

10. Evito

Evito Apprentice Engineer

I will be one of those much dreaded pirates, along with a few buddies of mine :) Nothing like a group of pirates working together.

But theres a fine distinction, we do it to gain resources and influence not just for the hell of it, the fun for us comes for accomplishing our selfset tasks.

If we happen to get on same server fully expect me with my buddies to come screaming towards your asteroid stations in dropships :)

11. Dcjxd

Dcjxd Trainee Engineer

I really don't mind pvp or pirates in my vicinity, although i plan to focus on mining and building a neutral station in multiplayer, providing some way of peacefull rallypoint/dockyard/refueling station for factions and individuals. If someone wants to attack and plunder, I'll most likely let them do it, considering the fact that pirates like to operate on a steady income provided by territorial authorities. Why not let pirates fight pirates for coin? Come whatever may, I'm not a fighter but i really love the idea und execution of full-scale player controlled interaction in EVE, with people specializing and organizing and comming up with great designs fitting their purpose. After all I'm a bit naive and hope that there will be a strong sense of fairness and good sportsmanship within the player base and enough space for people to build up and interact instead of/before being stupidly blown to peaces. Who knows, maybe some form of police/strong organized PMC will emerge offering services to neutral station owners and corporations.

...yeah, well... I LOVE Eve, never played it but my outer-game profession kinda got me hooked up on the social dynamics :D This could become a small scale version of EVE, with similar structures and dynamics. Lets wait for Beta and hope the best!

12. Dcjxd

Dcjxd Trainee Engineer

If a game gives you weapons, you're morally free to use them, wether offensive, defensive or just in your holster or as deterrence. No reason to flame someone for using what the regular game gives them, exploits and glitches aside.

13. PyroWeasel

PyroWeasel Trainee Engineer

Well in dayz I get raged at for being a bandit and turning the game into (CoD). The players who want to play "survival" Arnt too fond of individuals like me. This game ;however, could be insanely fun. I have played mine craft before and build huge buildings and landmarks and such, but it got boring for me when that's all there was. Now I can make a virtual Lego spaceship and fight someone else's virtual spaceship? Dream come true.

I just have to hook my friends on it now. They Arnt too find of mine craft mode, but they are interested in multiplayer.

14. Wammbo

Wammbo Trainee Engineer

sry wehn i have to say taht, but pleeeeaaaase dont call it "Minecraft" because this game have nothing to do with it. (The grafic in "Minecraft is sh****!)

15. djon162

djon162 Trainee Engineer

I agree. this game is for builders not killer. there are enough shootem ups out there. Get creative and buld things, share things. what the hell! is not there enough death in the world without bringing it into a game designed to exlore your creativity.
    nuf said!

16. gh0st

gh0st Apprentice Engineer

Evito. I'ma firin mah lazers !!!!

That is a great aspect as well and intrigues me. Bandits come by loot the place. steal a ship perhaps , who knows. Sounds like fun, I might just be interested in joining a band of merry men pillaging the galaxy for loot.

17. KriegsMeister

KriegsMeister Apprentice Engineer

I am hoping for something along the lines of a mine, build, combat cycle were players compete against eachother to collect the most resources in order to build better ships to combat against other players so that you can gain control of more territory and be able to collect more resources in order to build more stuff to combat more ppl and so on and so on, in a never ending cycle of expansion and exploration

18. zyphyer

zyphyer Trainee Engineer

I'd like to see PvP and all the forms it comes in. Anyone here play Darkfall: Unholy Wars? The clan aspect of that game was epic! Holdings would be contested by other clans. After a certain time period (something like 24 hours, don't quote me I'm probably wrong) the holding would become vulnerable and boom PvP! If you weren't in a clan you weren't going to get to the top.

19. ghosttr

ghosttr Trainee Engineer

I like building things, but some combat is good.

20. Havreboll

Havreboll Trainee Engineer

I would rather see that one stick to build ships, war machines and fortifications rather then engaging on your own as you are an engineer not a soldier. Though i hope the main focus will be on buidling ships, machines (both war machines and for mining, construction), space stations, diffrent stationary facilities etc.

21. Gentry

Gentry Senior Engineer

why does every god damn thread need an obnoxious poll

22. Kamoba

Kamoba Senior Engineer

Because each vote 'bumps' the thread without the OP needing to bump it ;)

23. Mac D

Mac D Junior Engineer

If there were no polls, I would likely just be posting "I agree" or "I disagree" on every second topic. It would still "bump" them to the top of the list and annoy Gentry and I might even beat Kamoba to 2000 posts!

Just joking about beating Kamoba on post count (I set realistic goals)

24. MasterKane

MasterKane Trainee Engineer

I'm most interested in kind of two-staged gameplay: one (creative mode) to build things, and other one (combat mode) to try out that things in action. Unlike many people out there, I don't like the whole ideas of mining or survival mode, since I consider repetitive grinding in any form as a generally bad gameplay decision - taking creative decisions is far more interesting than clicking mouse button all the day long. Hovever, I also don't like all-out PvP where you're forced to build things and fight at the same time, since in that case constant pressure prevent players from any kind of grand construction or creative novelty and degenerates game to FPS-like gameplay. I see SE PvP mostly as starship knights' tournament, not like deathmatch. Didn't voted yet, since there's no poll variant to describe that point.

25. JamesL86

JamesL86 Senior Engineer

Here is the thing that I think needs to be thrown in to this conversation.

If I understand the Devs intentions as far as multiplayer goes, then there is not going to be any possibility of random encounters with pvp and such since there will be no persistent multiplayer servers. From what i gather, you will simply setup a public host and people will queue into it or a private host that you can invite friends into. There will not be a persistent world other than the one you create on your own computer and this will hold true for each player.

This to me renders nearly all MMO multiplayer comparisons moot.

Personally I hope I am right. If I ever get any indication that other players will simply be able to just drop in on me unannounced and uninvited I unfortunately will be forced to find another game to play.

Now NPCs on the other hand, if the way they spawn can be customized, would be great.

26. Kamoba

Kamoba Senior Engineer

Where did you get this information James?...

Because all the information I have seen leads me to believe a system like MineCraft...
    Player hosted Servers...

27. JamesL86

JamesL86 Senior Engineer

I may have not exactly been clear on my post Kamoba (although i did try lol). I was refering to the difference between an MMO server setup and hosting a world from your own machine. In an MMO (in my experience at least) everything is persistent and all players are connected. In the system I believe will be implemented in Space Engineers, You will have to host your own world yourself and (i assume) set the limits on who and how people can join your personal instance of the game.

This ties into the what I have read from Dev posts specifically stating that they have no intention of setting up there own servers and that multiplayer will most likely be done through the Steam matchmaking service.

Now please please please keep in mind that before I started playing Star Trek Online I hadn't played any multiplayer games for a years and those were Space 4x games with matchmaking serivces like GameSpy. Thus I draw the conclusion that the Space Engineers multiplayer will work in a similar manner in that you setup a game and link it to the matchmaking service where people can join it, or, you can host a private game with your Steam buddies through matchmaking or LAN, or, you can keep your world to yourself.

[edit] Also I have never played Minecraft and probably never will honestly.

28. Kamoba

Kamoba Senior Engineer

*gives thumbs up.*
    That's a better description and makes more sense now, your other post made it sound similar to COD matches or something :D

You're right, the game will not have an MMO presence like many people seem to hope/believe ;)

29. Evis

Evis Apprentice Engineer

Seems that communities will host their own servers, that themselves will be persistent, but unique to that server's instance.

I believe matchmaking will be enabled via steam so you can join friends in progress.

If you haven't played minecraft then you're missing out on some of the foundational gameplay that seems to be driving Space Engineers in some ways.

I recommend you check out Feed The Beast or the later updates.

It has a real 'engineering' feel to it.

30. JamesL86

JamesL86 Senior Engineer

To Evis: I looked at Minecraft once while a friend was playing and in all honesty... the graphics suck... I mean they just suck... One issue I have with gaming is that it has to have a "look" to it. This is the same reason I gave up playing Galactic Civilizations I &amp; II. The gameplay was awesome but I JUST couldn't get past the look of the game. Also, how does one go about hosting there own server? I mean are there people out there that actually have PCs that powerful and broadband that fast?

To Kamoba: Glad I could clear that up.

Now I don't think people will be able to play against each other like they think they will unless we have one key ingredient... ships that you can take into someone else's world. Follow me on this: If you build a ship in your world, how do you get that ship into someone else's world? They only way I can fathom this is a game mechanic like as follows: You get into one of your ships, then while in it you select a menu that has all the other worlds available from other players, then you load into the world you pick with your ship. However, now you have added your own creation to someone else's world. How would that be reconciled? Does your ship get copied into the other player's world? Does this new world exist separate from either player's worlds as a stand alone instance? How does this work without the Devs having a game server of there own?

Now one way to solve this I feel is to have a secondary standalone bit of programming for matches to take place. A new empty world would be created just for the match and the player's ships would be copied into it so they can fight. There would only be the resources that are on these ships available. All you would need would be the current coding, plus the coding for combat, and maybe a bit beyond that but this "fighting world program" could be significantly simpler than the full game. Steam, most likely would have to run this secondary combat world themselves.

On a side note I honestly believe that the bulk of any combat will most likely take place with NPCs etc.

Finally I also see a way for PvP combat in the SAME world could exist. If you have a co-op world with your buddies then you, perhaps, could each build something in the same world then perhaps designate each other as a hostile and shoot at each other.

Another note: I don't know a whole bunch about newer ways of building game instances etc for multiplayer but I have often wondered how the processing works. I know in an MMO the servers "build" the world and the players interact with it and the severs send info to each player as needed, thus each players computer only renders what is needed at that time. What about multiplayer games that don't have dedicated servers? Does one person's PC have to run the whole thing? Is the matchmaking service's servers doing the bulk of the processing?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.