1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

Thanks for making aware tht you can get lost in the void

Discussion in 'Gameplay Help' started by yahakio, Oct 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. yahakio

yahakio Trainee Engineer

Appreciate being made aware that their isnt any border, now lost ship i spent hours creating after going for joy ride appreciate this is alpha but warning would of been intelligent no????????

Great game just pissed ive lost the first ship i created gta start from scratch now cheers.

Either sort your coding out or make people aware with a pop up first game start, DONT WANDER OUTSIDE STARTING AREA WARNING SHIPS MAY BE LOST

Wasnt hard was it?

Cheers for awesome game with promise just dont miss important things that can frustrate and disinterest new players, kinda put hold on my playing for bit as i really didnt want to loose a creation i enjoyed putting together.

If their is a way to recover said ship id appreciate info just little irritated and put off.

2. reaver

reaver Trainee Engineer

I feel your pain. I had the same problem but there was no way I was giving up that many hours so I made this post:
    https://forums.keenswh.com/post/lost-in-space-fixed-sorta-6593388

3. yahakio

yahakio Trainee Engineer

your a legend i appreciate it my friend thnks alot really.

4. yahakio

yahakio Trainee Engineer

One tiny problem dont have any lines with MyObjectBuilder_Character in the same file using notepad++

Any help be appreciated cheers

5. yahakio

yahakio Trainee Engineer

right ok appreciate the help was because i was still inside ship out now but to teleport my self and the ship well, can i teleport just the cockpit? or do i have to do through figure out each individual parts location were i want to teleport it to? rolf cus thts alot of parts and alot of numbers to crunch.

6. Fox

Fox Apprentice Engineer

Perhaps a polite request from the devs that a warning like you suggest would be a good idea? Like "Hi Devs - I know its alpha and we're all new to this but it would be a good idea to warn people creating a new world that they may get lost as there is no 'return to base' option. I just got lost without giving this an ounce of thought so a message like this would be good.'

Wasnt hard was it?

7. yahakio

yahakio Trainee Engineer

Id go along with that frustration and spending hours creating a ship and loosing it to a small short sight, but yeh could of been more polite about it i apologise.

8. Fox

Fox Apprentice Engineer

I'm assuming the craft you lost was a large one. Otherwise you'd have simply restarted. The post reaver made should be stickied or something like that in the short term as I'm sure this might be an even larger problem for others who have many ships and large bases. Hope reaver's trick works for you.

9. yahakio

yahakio Trainee Engineer

<div>OK wonderful got Reavers trick to work,

To save your lost ship and Character do the following.

Number one make sure your character is outside the ship and then save the game. Otherwise your character wont show up within the save file.

Go to C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Saves

PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP THE WHOLE SAVE FOLDER BEFORE YOU EDIT THE FILE JUST INCASE IT CORRUPTS IT DIDNT FOR ME BUT YOU ALWAYS WANT A BACKUP.

Open the folder inside and find the save file you wish to save the ship and character from.
    Look for the file called SANDBOX_0_0_0_.sbs and open it with notepad or notepad++ makes no difference.

CTRL+F and search for the following string this is for your character, should be at the bottom of the file.

MyObjectBuilder_Character

Now we need to Change the position of your character, a few lines bellow MyObjectBuilder_Character their should be a few lines that should look like the following your location will be different, but remember you characters original position as your need to look for your ship using those cords as it will be close by.

<div>&lt;Position>
    &lt;X>-1688,967&lt;/X>
    &lt;Y>328.754&lt;/Y>
    &lt;Z>-3269.88422&lt;/Z>

I had to change mine to the following or at least close to get put back above the starting platform, digits after the decimal dont seem to matter just make sure the first set of numbers before the decimal are close,

<div>&lt;Position>
    &lt;X>4,967&lt;/X>
    &lt;Y>6.754&lt;/Y>
    &lt;Z>93.88422&lt;/Z>

That will have moved your character to were the starting platform is, but your ship will still be were you were so lets change its position.

Remembering were your lost character position was, search for

MyObjectBuilder_CubeGrid

and look for one with a very close position to your original lost Characters position.

Once you have found your ship change its position to the same as you did with your character save the game and reload the save file.

You and your ship should be over the starting platform or close to it you will clip through your ship and be spat out if you choose to change its position to the exact position you placed your character, dont worry i have tried the save several times and it just spat me out with no damage to the ship you can of course change the ship position slightly to make sure this dosnt happen.

Just remember to back up your save file before you click the save button just incase for some reason this corrupts your save file it didnt for me and i tried editing the file several times to make sure, it loaded the same without a problem.

And again thanks to Reaver for making me aware of this fix just wanted to hopefully explain how to go about editing the file a little simpler.
    </div></div></div>

10. Rimmorn

Rimmorn Trainee Engineer

So you're angry at devs because you didnt think that SPACE is kinda borderless and stuff gets lost there?

11. yahakio

yahakio Trainee Engineer

Nope not angry was just frustrated, the world is meant to have border but its disabled their is nothing outside. Its a problem with the game engine apparently, with no map or cord system in place and very short draw distance means you cant see were the starting area is even a short distance outside the play area.

Problem was that we weren't warned about it, just a minor short sight that cost a few people ships and frustration i appreciate it alpha just would of been nice for a warning to stop said frustration.

Little digging and i found a way to get my ship back so no issue, spent alot of time building my ships and i should of been little more adept and showing my frustration in stead of it looking like i was seriously angry.

12. Blako

Blako Apprentice Engineer

If there comes a point where we go out looking for resources there should also be a way back home. There was a suggestion to use antennas (somehow) to know which way is home.

13. gh0st

gh0st Apprentice Engineer

The game is still in alpha, so it will be buggy. I've lost a couple worlds where I was part way building a big ship. So being at this stage to me that is tolerable. However once an official release comes down he pipe, issues like that should be resolved.

Patience , this one is gonna be worth the wait. I rarely if ever join a forum for a specific game. This one is a 'killer app' in my view.

14. brainsuker

brainsuker Apprentice Engineer

I think this game needs Navigation system very very badly. Perhaps the Dev should prioritize of making a navigation system first before exploring on other features.

15. Joeliosis

Joeliosis Trainee Engineer

All of this is funny to me

16. zyphyer

zyphyer Trainee Engineer

Why?

17. Wammbo

Wammbo Trainee Engineer

meĀ² hehe ^^

@zyphyer

because its a small dev Team and i think at the moment they have bigger Problems. I understand if the ship gets lost its pissing off, but we are still in Alpha and making a safari tour throught the game.

18. Isabaellchen

Isabaellchen Trainee Engineer

There are no errors. Or at least they aren't as bad as they seem to be.
    Thank you for that thread.
    Just started off and the first thing i did was turn off gravity.
    No clue how to resotre it, but i can imagine drifting off happens pretty easy...

Edit: k found out that its X

19. Admiral Yuki

Admiral Yuki Apprentice Engineer

Because he most likely thinks that it is common sense that you can and will get lost easily in space; and that some people do not realize this.

20. brainsuker

brainsuker Apprentice Engineer

It just a system that not implemented / created yet. But the dev must aware that losing a ship just because there is no navigation system is a bad experience. So they should solve it first

21. melak47

melak47 Trainee Engineer

I don't think a navigation system is much of a priority right now - there isn't really anything to navigate :p

22. Iain Marcus Davis

Iain Marcus Davis Trainee Engineer

this getting lost bit has been a thing for too long it just needs to be fixed. it's unreasonable that on the easy start two base you can easily see an enemy ship approach and fly out to it but once out there you can no longer see the antennae from the base you just left? that makes no logical sense whatsoever? it's also unreasonable after over a million sales to assume that everyone feels confident fiddling around with the code itself to fix the problem.
    this like the undersized g menu that wont fit half the mods it needs to is one of those tiresome problems that really makes me chuck in the towel repeatedly. the game takes far too long to set up for this kind of garbage to come along and screw up a save. this is the kind of persistant unfixed nuisance that made me quit "star made" .
    just fix it it's a game breaker.

23. moomin

moomin Trainee Engineer

Same here :) It probally happens to everybody once :) But i quickly realised when the asteroids slowly disappeared i needed to turn round..

Also a good fix is to join a server with active (and patient) server admin that doesnt mind teleporting ur stuff back on a survival game.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.