1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

Update 01.006.010 - Jetpack dampeners are enabled by default

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by George.Mamakos, Nov 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. George.Mamakos

George.Mamakos Apprentice Engineer

Jetpack dampeners are now enabled by default

2. Kamoba

Kamoba Senior Engineer

Thanks ;)

P.S. first post!

3. ThisIsDelicious

ThisIsDelicious Trainee Engineer

I think the movement speed of jetpacks is way too high. It was (relatively) easy to navigate before but now I'm bouncing around the place. It takes too long to stop moving in one direction probably because of the speed you achieve almost instantaneously, even with the dampeners on.
    Other than that, the symmetry mode and others, real good stuff. Just wish you hadn't made moving around with the jetpack such a pain.

If this simulates realism however, I'll just suck it up somehow :)

4. Kamoba

Kamoba Senior Engineer

Good words.

5. Stiletto

Stiletto Apprentice Engineer

Hello folks.

The jetpack is actually pretty alright. It just takes a bit of getting used to, really.
    The speed it achieves quickly is lovely, but it does take a bit more of fine control over the thrust usage in order to not look like some sort of man-sized pinball.

Though, that's my opinion.

6. Tian

Tian Trainee Engineer

agree. and max speed of large ship is to high aswell

7. Stiletto

On that note, the speed limit on objects could do with some sort of user adjustable setting or so.

I mean, you have a ginormous capital class ship, but your acceleration is slow due to it's size and probably the number of thrusters it has is insufficient to propel it into high speeds. Not to mention that it would be a pain in the butt to actually retro-burn in order to brake and not crash into things.
    Obviously, a smaller and less weighty vessel with quicker acceleration and agility would be naturally set with a higher speed limit due to it's higher thrust capabilities.

So, my humble opinion on the matter. I don't even know if such thing is possible to do.

8. Kamoba

Kamoba Senior Engineer

Adjustable speed settings is a suggestion on the suggestions section I believe....

9. Stiletto

Yes, you're completly correct on that, Kamoba. Teaches me not to read the suggestion section first.

My bad!

10. Kamoba

Kamoba Senior Engineer

Naughty, you need punishing..
    2 minutes building block! You may not build for two minutes!

11. Stiletto

Nooooooooo! *Darth Vader pose!*

12. Evito

Evito Apprentice Engineer

I would have Vastly preferred that dampeners are offline by default.. accidentally exit a small craft cockpit and the darned jetpack starts automatically slowing you down while your craft flies on :)

Though atleast now we have a chance of catching it if it wasnt running full speed if you act quick, always did dislike artificial speed limits in space. (well yea still have em but atleast not multiple different speedlimits)

13. Ondrej.Petrzilka

Ondrej.Petrzilka Developer

Hi, when you flying more than 10 m/s and you exit the ship, dampeners will be off :)

14. Lo2k

Lo2k Trainee Engineer

It seems something goes a bit wrong with character animation in this version... each time you are rotating just a little bit, he does a tiny step with one leg. This could be just a gimmick in third person view but it makes a stutter at every move in first person view which gives headache very quick :)

15. Delta_Ares

Delta_Ares Trainee Engineer

Can someone help me with the Symmetry tool. When i use it it won't let me build but when i do build it doesn't mirror my building PLEASe HELP ME

16. JESSERUIS123

JESSERUIS123 Trainee Engineer

I think that the jet pack goes just a little too fast, in my opinion it shouldn't be able to go as fast as the ships can, other than that I think the update is great.

17. leafspring

leafspring Trainee Engineer

Great updates (been gone for a week) but I think the jet pack acceleration is too fast. Makes building small ships extremely twitchy as opposed to before.

18. Kamoba

Kamoba Senior Engineer

Check one update down matey..

19. Maxnwil

Maxnwil Trainee Engineer

I would think the jetpack speed is so high to allow you to escape a fast moving capital ship. Previously, without gravity you simply got slammed into the back of the ship and stuck there; now you have some freedom still. Not particularly realistic, as using a jetpack inside a moving spaceship would be the same as any inertial reference frame- you shouldn't notice your "Absolute" speed until you look outside. Really, the idea of "absolute" speed should not exist, and speed limits should not exist, but I can imagine how that would cause epic problems. [/astrophysics]
    tl;dr: The ridiculous jetpack speed might simply be compensating for some of the problems that crop up with this game's execution of space-physics.
    P.S. I still agree that the high speed jetpack can be obnoxious;
    "Let me just carefully place this block... oh I'm just an inch below where I need to be... I'll just adjust annnnnd---
    Great. I'm on the moon now."

20. Kamoba

Kamoba Senior Engineer

Wow your Jet Pack is fast if you made it to the moon!
    I'm still in deep space...

21. Boroski

Boroski Trainee Engineer

Make the Jetpack speed back to what it was, what's the point of even making a ship if your jetpack is faster than one? Why even bother making small ships now. I can't understand why some people think this is acceptable.

Don't pander to the casual crowd because all they care about is making everything easymode and that sucks for the rest of us who like a challenge.

22. Matius

Matius Trainee Engineer

The same problem right here. Symmetry mode doesn't work. :p

23. DocTanner

DocTanner Junior Engineer

"The jetpack sucks, make it faster!"
    Devs make it faster.
    "The jetpack is too fast! Make it what it was!"

... there is just no pleasing you people, is there?

24. Venomine95

Venomine95 Trainee Engineer

Hey, I had the same problem at one point and when I tried saving, the game corrupted my save. The best thing to do now would be to create a new world and then try these steps:

1. Start a new Large Ship
    2.Press M once.

3.Click on the block.

4.Press ESCAPE and you should exit the symmetry UI, but the red plane should still be there.

5.Attempt to place blocks around it and see if they are indeed being placed on the other side.

6.If Step 5 doesn't work, try making a larger platform before adding the plane of symmetry. Then repeat step 5.

If after all of this does not work, you will have to start a new thread on the appropriate section of the forum.

25. Kamoba

Kamoba Senior Engineer

You're slowly coming to the realisation of the same thing which makes me a royal a-hole.

26. eqweqrrewyey

eqweqrrewyey Trainee Engineer

I think that there shouldn't be any speed limit, because there isn't one in a real outer space (in Newtonian physics) or at least there should be an option to disable/change speed limit.

27. DocTanner

DocTanner Junior Engineer

*sigh* Yes, Kamoba... yes.

28. ravenhawk82

ravenhawk82 Trainee Engineer

I like everything having the same speed limit, as that's how reality is. Given the same form of propulsion, everything can go just as fast with no wind resistance or other friction getting in the way. It's only acceleration that changes. Put two identical tiny thrusters on different sized ships and they will both reach the same speed eventually; one will just get there faster.

29. Ralith

Ralith Trainee Engineer

Considering the vastly improved realism and increased difficulty in executing controlled movements, decrying this change as "easymode" is hilarious. Being forced to arbitrarily and unrealistically stop accelerating after you reach a certain speed is stupid and serves only to delay the lesson that any player of a newtonian-physics game must learn: if you want to go slow and retain control, don't be constantly accelerating. Just gently tap the buttons until you're going in the speed and at the direction you want. Try turning off inertial dampeners, facing the way you want to go, and just tapping forwards once for a nice gentle glide, then turn dampeners back on to stop once you've arrived.

The point of ships isn't getting around faster, it's carrying more stuff (be it fuel, cargo, mining equipment, or weapons systems) around with you.

30. Rainbow Unikorn

Rainbow Unikorn Trainee Engineer

The jetpack is pretty better, not too nervous.

And thank for the symatrical mode, it's wonderfull !

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.