1. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

In Game Data Monitor

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by foodflare, Nov 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. foodflare

foodflare Trainee Engineer

I searched assorted things, but couldn't find something regarding this. My suggestion entails having a button that would bring up a real-time display of data about Space engineers. This data would preferably include but not be limited to: number of placed blocks in this world, current RAM usage, Frames per second, number of stations, number of large ships, number of small ships, and tentatively a coordinate system. These are merely things I feel would be useful both in game and for helping with solving the cause for issues.

2. Blako

Blako Apprentice Engineer

Quite useful for troubleshooting.

3. Ralirashi

Ralirashi Apprentice Engineer

I can agree with technical details like ram usage, fps, ping. But things like # of ships/stations shouldn't be included. Or at least not in multiplayer.

4. Kamoba

Kamoba Senior Engineer

That's what I would have said if Rashi hadn't.

5. foodflare

Might I ask, why not include the ships/stations?
    In regards to single player, it'd be useful for keeping track of your assorted ships/stations.

My reasoning for keeping it for a multiplayer setting, is that you could use that feature against your enemies, either by making a multitude of 1 block ships/stations or building many ships and having them all be connected into a singular ship thus lowering the ship count.

But if you don't want to retain the cumulative count of ships/stations, I also thought maybe you could have that count be of the ships/stations the individual's character has actually witnessed within a certain range.

6. Kamoba

Kamoba Senior Engineer

Because it removes tactical elements, you'd have no need to scout your enemies before directing an attack, you'd know what you're up against.

It also removes the ability to keep a set amount of ships 'hidden'

Carriers (not all)hide how many ships they carry, this is a tactical advantage.

7. foodflare

My prior post actually mentions a couple of methods of actually using that feature tactically.

For example, say player A is in a situation in which A has low resources and doesn't wish to be attacked, A may then create several small/large 1 block ships to make it appear that A is in a better situation than A actually is. Player B sees the number of ships and thus determines it wouldn't be worth it to attack A at this time and instead go gather further. Then A can gradually turn those 1 block ships into actual ships with a small sense of security because B thinks A is in a better situation than A is.

As another example. Player C is in a really good situation and wants to engage in a fight with Player D, but doesn't want D to retreat immediately and actually full on engage. Player C then makes a fleet of ships that are all attached together by a block thus taunting D into believing there's a chance for victory. Then when D gets close enough that D can no longer escape the engagement, C detaches the connective blocks and thus Decimates D's forces.

These are merely 2 possible tactics.

8. Kamoba

Kamoba Senior Engineer

So the general thing to do would be just spam 20 new ships at the start of each game.
    Or a silly amount of ships...

Without the number being displayed, this data can't be abused...

Although yore right, there are more who would goto silly lengths to abuse these tactics than those who'll use it in reason...

9. ryudragon27

ryudragon27 Trainee Engineer

this is a cool idea as even now, we can use things to determine our enemy's strength, like radar, so say, if the ship we are in has an antenna with enough power fed into it (longer distance of sensor=more power consumption) then it could see the amount of "energy signatures" within range of the antenna

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.