1. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

Looking for some tips from the pros!

Discussion in 'Gameplay Help' started by ash, Oct 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. ash

ash Trainee Engineer

Hi there everyone! Obviously I am new, but have been perusing the forums looking at the incredible work I've seen some of you post. I just got the game today and have been tinkering with it for 3-4 hours. I've made a few little ships (which all were horrible looking and didn't perform well) Was curious if any of the Pros out there could shoot me some pointers as I'd like to build an asteroid base and have a nice looking ship and a functional one too. Also want to get into the construction of one the big boys with all the interior, getting walls to work (still cant figure that out) and such. I also don't get how some of the photos I've seen have the curved outer hulls, the angled etc. Lastly, is there any benefit to starting on quickstart (which is what I've been doing) as opposed to free world or survival? Thanks a bunch for any and all help. Love this game, now to figure it out! :)

2. Evito

Evito Apprentice Engineer

Use the angled hull pieces in the G menu, you can rotate those in any direction you want by using INS/DEL/PGUP/PGDOWN/END/HOME.

Ensure you have 4 sets of gyros for every 150 meters of ship atleast, thats per 60 blocks lenght/width

And if all else fails, make a nice looking hull before placing engines then build exterior engine nacelles for them.

3. ash

ash Trainee Engineer

What is the best way to get a good small ship to be quick and efficient. Figured I could practice on a little guy then upgrade to bases and a large ship. Its so hard (at least for me) to make a little one that is cool looking and also efficient. I've tried loading up on gens and gyros and pump a bunch of thrusters in it, just never seems to work out. Any other tips besides the aforementioned would be great aswell. Much appreciated.

4. ash

ash Trainee Engineer

I cannot get the right formula to make a little exploring ship. It either wont turn wont accelerate, ugh!

5. Catfish

Catfish Apprentice Engineer

I'm pretty new also, but maybe I can help.

What works best for me is 2 gyros, 4 or more power generators, 2 small thrusters in each direction, except for rear, which I use a large thruster. More thrusters in the front if you want to be able to slow down quickly without turning around. Landing gear is a good idea also. Make sure everything is symmetrical, or else your ship might behave strangely.

For making it look nice, try building the engine block in the back first and then building armor over things. Don't forget to use lots of slopes, corners, and inverted corners!

6. mad-rooky

mad-rooky Trainee Engineer

For smaller ships, just try it out, this is for what the sandbox is. :thumb:
    For larger ships it is very helpful to use the symmetry mode.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDllYDRBMXE&hd=1
    If you want to build a large ship for a specific role, then plan what you need and build a frame which includes all needed sections. After this its easier to make changes. when you are happy with this, you can build up the hull, this will go very fast then.

7. Kamoba

Kamoba Senior Engineer

I never had issues when making something un symmetrical...
    Unless using the landing gear ;)

Try find what works best in ship controls for you, if you find you have to rely on the inertia dampeners allot, you may find that you'll want to invest in extra thrusters in all directions (but keep in mind, we don't know how expensive they'll be material wise though O.o

And if you look at the small reactors, they have a 'yellow' square on one face, although this is only an assumption, I think this is needed to refuel your reactors, either manually or through a conveyor system, so in my builds I keep my reactors connected to a medium container using conveyors.

Try to keep your intended use your priority, so if you're making a cargo hauler, try not to focus on combat but more on acceleration and storage before weapons (if any at all)

8. hrdrok

hrdrok Apprentice Engineer

Ya this advice is solid. Don't try an make an all purpose ship out of the gate. It will overwhelm you. Make separate ships for separate jobs. They will perform better.

9. Catfish

Catfish Apprentice Engineer

Yeah, that was my bad. At the point I wrote that reply, I had discovered that asymmetrical carriers do not work well, and assumed that applied to all ships.

10. ryudragon27

ryudragon27 Trainee Engineer

my recommendation for small ships is this: 1; dont use a lot of mass, you should have the cockpit, thrusters and fit the reactors ON the thrusters along with the gyro's and 2; have plenty of thrusters and at least 3 gyro's, and 1 big one at the back (optional depending on your design) and 4 facing the front, you shouldnt need much on the top and bottom because small ships dont need those much

11. Remus

Remus Trainee Engineer

Just something you should know, that took me awhile to figure out. Gyros make you turn faster and the more you have the faster you turn. At the moment you could add as many gyros as you like to a ship and you can make a big ship turn like a fighter. I am assuming that when the game is fully developed they will have high recourse costs though.

And don't worry about your builds too much, I built loads of stuff before any of my stuff started looking nice; 2 whole space, stations 2 large ships and many small ships.

12. damoran

damoran Junior Engineer

I am by no means an expert but I'll share what I've learned.

1.) take your time and re-do every little part of a design until it looks/works how you want, the fun is in the creation (flying it around afterwards is a bonus ;)

2.) start small, I built probably 6 small ships before placing my first large block. You learn things at the small scale that help you to grow INTO the larger scale ships.

3.) Find things that work and repeat throughout your builds, this will become your style (for example, ribbed bulkheads or a cool looking yet functional engine cluster)...This can also apply to things you know you do NOT like. For example I can't stand the vents/windows, never use them because I know I hate the way they look 99% of the time.

4.) Build larger ships in sections first (frame or block them out) checking for things like ease of interior navigation (walkways), alignment of landing gear, stairs and ladder placements etc. Think about how you get in or out of the ship. If it is supposed to haul cargo, can you get to the containers easily? This is the time for you to figure out these challenges and address them before you put hours of detail into the hull. Once you get all that in place take a sculptors hand to it and make the outside look great.

5.) I find that less is often more even with large ships. Building a medium sized ship means you don't have to add 200 thrusters to get it to move. Personally, I don't build very large because I think they need a larger thruster. A massive ship does not = massively better just because you want the ship to be intimidating. Let the ship form as you go, think about what you want it to do, how players will use it and let the scale form organically this way.

6.) The detail is in the shape. I've seen so many people create a ship that is essentially a brick and when they are finished they try to detail it by slapping 50 antennas on the side or painting stripes in different colors. If the shape itself is interesting you'll find yourself less inclined to clutter it with useless flare. Actually, all ships are a combination of simple shapes, it is your ability to combine different basic shapes into a more complex and appealing design that will make it or break it.

7.) Symmetry - people like it. It is human nature to appreciate good symmetry, it will also give you evenly dispersed thrust and mass (not that it matters so much in this game). Use the symmetry mode to build quickly and evenly. You'll also find cool design elements while working in symmetry mode you might not have figured out on your own. But also, don't be afraid to turn it off at the end and add a couple of small things that change it up just a bit (usually inside the ship).

8.) I usually focus on where my engines are going first and let it take shape from there. Use the engines as a design element as well, don't feel like you have to cover them up. They fit with the tone of this game which is very industrial. Do vary them....don't place them in a straight line.

9.) Cockpits work best centrally located in large ships. In small ships almost always unobstructed in the front-center unless you intend them to be flown in 3rd person. The cockpit determines which direction is up/forward/back etc....

10.) Stop every 15 minutes or so and do a quick fly around. Approach it from different angles and walk through the corridors. Look at the sides, bottom, aft. Seriously, you'll find stuff you may have missed in the design and you'll think of new ways to work things.

Good luck.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.