1. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

Update 01.008 - Hand drill, small ship drill, tweaked rotation functionality

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by George.Mamakos, Nov 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Sims_doc

Sims_doc Junior Engineer

could explain why i've being seeing drill ships for the last two weeks.

2. Dzarek

Dzarek Trainee Engineer

I agree with that !!

It was be fun build one thing to use with another etc. And it will improve actually activity ;)

3. Squiffy101

Squiffy101 Trainee Engineer

Great that you released it...I've never experienced the rate of updates that guys send out and I seem to have an odd perversion of getting involved in Alphas more than playing finished games....just weird I guess!

Anyway, your question...In my opinion, the hand drill is over powered. I seemed to be able to grind through an asteroid quicker by hand than 2 mounted ship drills. Also, the cross hairs don't match up with the drill point of contact, which felt a tad odd. Love the drill shake as well. Finally, although I love the sound of the drill, it seems to dominate everything, though saying that I didn't look for an effects/music sound balance.....to busy drilling!!!

Again, just my opinions people :)

I see other posting on here about slow down when lots of the chunks where about, but all I can say is that I didn't experience this, everything was very smooth.

Once again, thanks for everything....very excited about the possibilities of this game.

4. chimp_spanner

chimp_spanner Trainee Engineer

A new Space Engineers update *and* news of an update to my favourite music software. Man I'm being spoiled! It's crazy how suddenly having the drill makes the game seem so much more...functional. I can only imagine what it'll feel like when everything else is working and new components are added.

Agreed on the hand drill being too powerful and off-center. With regards to mining being tricky because of things flying off into space, I quite like it. It just creates a problem to overcome, and I don't doubt that people will find ingenious ways to do so. My idea (as I was drifting off to sleep) was for the actual mining vessel to be a large ship with an open container on the top and a gravity generator below it. The drill bit would essentially be a second docked/clamped small ship consisting of the bare minimum of a cockpit, thrusters and some power all built around the drill. You'd park the mining ship above your mining location upside down so the open container funnels in resources. Then just re-attach the drill-bit and move onto the next asteroid when done. I'm gonna try this out now!

5. paul76au

paul76au Trainee Engineer

nice, good to see that game is developing, i've noticed huge FPS drop while drilling, the more floating chunks the lower FPS (i know its obvious). but hard to imagine multiplayer when we will have more than one drill vessel working in sector...

6. Rizzozo

Rizzozo Trainee Engineer

I think I have an Ore fetish

[​IMG]

7. Kamoba

Kamoba Senior Engineer

Now put a gravity generator in the middle, sit on the generator, and then put a reactor down and watch the magic happen!

8. zyous

zyous Trainee Engineer

BUT....what are you doing with the asteroids? as in the random generation...because if you leave the spawn area and go out away for a minute or so, there are no more asteroids to be found, so drilling would remove all the asteroids and get rid of your sources...so are you going to enable a larger range for the asteroids to be generated in? or just leave it and hope for the best? because there is an extreme shortage of asteroids everywhere after a few minutes of exploring, hope you get back to me, thanks for reading ^_^

9. H3xx

H3xx Trainee Engineer

Keep in mind that those are the light armor blocks. If you're going to be using drills in a military ship, you'll be encountering heavy armor which will not yield as easily to a drill bit.

10. Kamoba

Kamoba Senior Engineer

I think they mean on small ships, I think it's a reasonable amount of time on large ships but on the small ships it needs a bit more resistance for 'gameplay' sake over realism...

11. vahaala

vahaala Trainee Engineer

And if you haven't tried yet, try "mining" the red ship. It is much harder to damage, but still takes very little time compared to what it should do IMO.
    bTW, is there a way, in which I can "collect" the floating ores? Or do I have to do it myself?

12. Dequire

Dequire Apprentice Engineer

So, I noticed that there was 7.2MB update for Space Engineers this morning, yet there was no change log. Any idea what this was, or is it just some bug fixes?

13. Kamoba

Kamoba Senior Engineer

There was a log for it, you can name beacons and a few other fixes ;)

14. arden03

arden03 Trainee Engineer

so wait where the rocks are being sucked up by the ship, are those exposed conveyors? or just the containers? I think i missed that part

15. Dequire

Dequire Apprentice Engineer

I lost it.

16. Comandersegz

Comandersegz Trainee Engineer

yes yes yes, I've been busy over holidays and all so i haven't been on in a couple days cant wait to test this drill thing out Baby!!!!!!:thumb:

17. nickolastd21

nickolastd21 Trainee Engineer

have not replied to any updates, but need to say thanks, you seem to be juggling user requests well and maintaining a constant stream of updates.

LOVE the game

small tiny idea for a update, conveyor block to absorb - store free items that come in contact with it taking to nearest storage or device.

hears what your latest update made possible.
    tunneling ship and a gravity collector.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=198929431

again thanks keen

18. g4borg

g4borg Apprentice Engineer

love the update for drills. especially also love the beacon renaming.

with thousands of beacons on my new flagship, the stinky bacon, now named fighter 1, fighter 2, bomber 1, ... i seem to move a fleet for my enemy... harharhar.

i still need an enemy to fool :( ;)

19. Sims_doc

Sims_doc Junior Engineer

i like the new update with the drills, sure you can say it was something already done but still its something.

20. ArcherV

ArcherV Apprentice Engineer

Wait, the mined ore is effected by gravity gen. ? that is awesome. :D

21. ryudragon27

ryudragon27 Trainee Engineer

another great update, now i want weapons to work ;)

22. gh0st

gh0st Apprentice Engineer

I would like to know this as well. Maybe an option in Game Settings to disable/enable that. Or possibly use a hot key to switch off and on.

23. Kamoba

Kamoba Senior Engineer

There is not an option to turn it off yet, but it's a very popular request to have such an option.

24. bob620

bob620 Trainee Engineer

I haven't been keeping up excellently with reading the update logs, but in one of the newer version it seems that gravity has been made extremely strong. Not sure if it is part of the new speed and jetpack movement but it is really annoying on some of my builds. If it is intentional to be so strong as to make me unable to jump or my files are just bugged please tell me; otherwise I would like to ask for it to be less powerful. (It seems to make my character get up to max speed within a half second of being in range of a generator)

25. Kamoba

Kamoba Senior Engineer

If you've been mining, that is not gravity but Lagg.
    Try collecting the stones and ores by pressing T

26. Neotician

Neotician Apprentice Engineer

Yeah, i've noticed that too.
    After doing a few experiments, i've gotten the gravitational constant of the generators to be something between 20 and 25 m/s^2, so that's almost 3G's.
    So yeah, it's not your files, it's the game :) Let's hope the gravity gets turned down a bit in future updates.
    Also damn, our Astronauts must have some mad thighs.

27. bob620

bob620 Trainee Engineer

Thanks for finding that. I think he has rubber bones, only way to not blow up on impact ;)

28. bob620

bob620 Trainee Engineer

Actually, I hadn't been mining when I tested the gravity, thanks for the lag warning though.

29. bob620

bob620 Trainee Engineer

I have found that with 16 generators you decelerate from terminal velocity and then accelerate again to terminal velocity(104.4 m/s) at an average time of 0.27 sec. or 27 milliseconds. Which gets 4.32 sec. for one generator to decelerate and accelerate you to terminal velocity, or 208.8 m/s in total. 104.4 m/s /2.16 sec. (half of decelerate and accelerate combined) to get the acceleration of one generator. that would figure out to be 48.3 m/s^2

I believe that to be correctly calculated, the times are as close as I could get so really its just the math at that point.

30. jlf1976

jlf1976 Apprentice Engineer

For everyone experiencing the performance issues relating to debris from drilling I think its important to post your system specs so the devs have a comparison. They certainly aren't working from outdated machines like mine, so the only way to know at what point performance drops out is if we tell them.

I am experiencing the issue as well, but only after a few minutes of drilling without cleaning up. If I don't manage my debris with a grav-gen and homemade hopper basket, my framerate drops to <10, (somewhere around 5-6)... And I would agree that it seems to be physics related as everything slows down, not just display frames. I'm sure my bottleneck is the processor. Turning down the graphics to "normal" has no affect. It even takes longer to move from one spot to another with the jetpack when this occurs. It also doesn't seem to help if I simply fling the waste into space with a grav-gen. As long as those rocks are out there, they slow down my PC.

If I manage the debris so that it can all be collected in one place, things pick back up to normal speeds after putting several tons of ore in my pocket.

I agree with the suggesting of having the debris age out and despawn. Maybe have precious resources take longer to age out than "stone", and stone debris doesn't get saved with savegames. If its been sitting there for 45 minutes after being harvested, its unlikely I will ever use it.

My Specs:
    Win 7 Ultimate
    Athlon x2 1.9Ghz (overclocked to 2.4Ghz)
    4GB DDR2
    Geforce 650 GTX 1GB DDR5

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.