1. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

Space Tubby Incident

Discussion in 'General' started by Azi Dahaka, Dec 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Azi Dahaka

Azi Dahaka Apprentice Engineer

I just wanted to post the incident that occurred while I was playing today (alas, no pictures).

So, this morning I decided to create a Starfury from Babylon 5. As I was trying to create it to be functional in Space Engineers as well, the ship ended up a bit more... rotund than I would have preferred. I named my fighter the Space Tubby. All in all, it's a standard ship. However, it happens to be cursed.

One of the first things I do to my ships is copy and paste them so I can try to destroy them. The first test on the poor Space Tubby was ramming it into an asteroid. I managed to get the fighter up to about 60 m/s, turned off dampeners, and jettisoned. The Tubby rammed into the asteroid in a plume of dust and... survived. One wing had broken off the little guy, but other than that the impact barely scratched the paint. I began to grow suspicious.

The next test was to ram the target Tubby with a clone of itself. Despite its girth, it took several tries to actually hit the fighter. I eventually resorted to building a long rail to guide me towards the target. Impact at last! but the Space Tubby is unharmed. Or, at least, the target is. The fighter I was piloting careened off and killed itself on a nearby space station.

Finally, I decide that the Space Tubby target must die. I create a copy of my battleship, accelerate up to 65 m/s, and ram the thing. My warship slams into the Tubby, sending it flying. Unfortunately, momentum hates me, as my battleship continues on and smashes its own face in on my cruiser, the Horker. I get out of my slightly compressed battleship to check on the damages. The target Tubby had two small dents in it from the impact.

Let me simplify this last incident: a tiny fighter crippled two warships with negligible damage to itself. I'm afraid of that Tubby. I really am. When multiplayer comes, you will too.

2. DocTanner

DocTanner Junior Engineer

Quick question: you said the target ship flew off. I take it, then, that it was powered down?

I find -- and this isn't really surprisingly -- that most of the real damage only happens when a ship tries to maintain its position. If inertial dampeners or the reactors are off, they tend to just bounce.

3. K^2

K^2 Apprentice Engineer

Pretty much. The current physics does not distribute stress. Damage only happens at an actual point of impact. It can "propagate" a bit out due to debris, but for the most part, it's just the area that was hit. On the other hand, the force of the impact is distributed over the entire ship, so the whole thing bounces off damaging only a few blocks at the point of impact.

Hopefully, collision physics is something that the devs are still working on and we'll see more damage in collisions in the future.

4. Azi Dahaka

Azi Dahaka Apprentice Engineer

In response to Tanner: it was not powered down but it was hit hard enough (and had few enough thrusters on the sides) that it traveled a couple hundred meters.

5. ryudragon27

ryudragon27 Trainee Engineer

its the herobrine of space engineers

6. KriegsMeister

KriegsMeister Apprentice Engineer

Try putting your space tubby right up against an asteroid and then ram it with your battleship, That should break it. And post pics so we can see the glorious damage :)

7. Mac D

Mac D Junior Engineer

I agree with this comment. Pin the target!

@ Azi Dahaka.

Good post.
    I support posts which start with something like "I decided to create a Starfury..." and end with an in-depth discussion on the realism of game physics.

In collisions with smaller mobile objects much more of the energy can go into movement and rotation rather than damage which I think is realistic.

I found the throwing extra heavy axes at the starting red ship were not much more effective damage-wise than lighter axes. The heavy ones mostly just moved and rotated it more.

Try inertial dampeners off and on as well, they often make a big difference to collision behavior.

8. redneckpirate

redneckpirate Apprentice Engineer

A similar concept to why drunk drivers fare better in automotive wrecks than the people they hit. A drunk driver doesn't have the reaction time to tense up before an impact, in other words, they remain very loose and fluid. Any sober person would go tense or brace for the impact, which would lead to harsher injuries.

9. CptTwinkie

CptTwinkie Master Engineer

To quote an old saying, "Pics or it didn't happen"

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.