1. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

The Big Dig Project [Ongoing, Chronicled]

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by NKato, Dec 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. NKato

NKato Trainee Engineer

So, I've decided to begin a new world and got my drill into place. The plan is to drill from one side to the other with the same drill that I built.

https://imgur.com/a/FMSKZ <~ Live-Updated Gallery, will be updated periodically.

You can watch the Twitch.TV stream here: https://twitch.tv/nkato

I've gone about half the length of the drill into the asteroid so far.

Update, 4:36PM 12/17/2013 - The drill is now fully into the asteroid, and it is pulling to the left a bit. However, progress is slow and steady. Biggest complaint: Lag. The horrible lag! There needs to be a function for physics-debris management. ASAP. Otherwise, at this rate I'll have produced so much debris, I won't be able to punch all the way through.

2. NKato

NKato Trainee Engineer

Bad news: The drill is fine, but the debris accumulation has gotten so bad, that even my decently specced i7 3770k is struggling to keep up with all of the calculations. Strongly recommend implementing a hotfix for debris management ASAP.

Update as of 4:55PM - Welp, I'm gonna stop the drill and wait for the devs to give us a proper debris management function. My Framerate just dropped to less than 1 frame per second.

3. jamagh

jamagh Apprentice Engineer

You could build a grav generator on a one block rod and insert it into the hole... that would make the rocks fall out...

See, a true engineer would come up with his OWN solutions to problems. Instead of waitin for someone else to fix HIS problems for him.

4. JamesL86

JamesL86 Senior Engineer

Just remember that in full on survival mode you'd be wasting up to half of your potential ore haul if you don't collect all those bits and pieces. I have a feeling that at some point those seemingly worthless "stone" bits will be laced with traces of usable ore that you can refine out and purify in the refinery.

5. NKato

NKato Trainee Engineer

I know, James. But the point is, if I want to drill through this asteroid, I need to be able to do so while also managing to collect all of that ore (and/or removing it from the physics pool). It's really, REALLY important that this issue be addressed in both sandbox and survival modes.

Without such an option, the game is going to lag quite horrendously.

6. NKato

NKato Trainee Engineer

Jamagh, in case you hadn't noticed my statements - IT'S A TECHNICAL PROBLEM, NOT AN ENGINEERING PROBLEM. In the drill's earliest iterations, we frequently had jams due to debris buildup between the drill heads, so I created an excavation chute behind all of the drills so that the rocks had somewhere to go on the way out.

The problem is with the game engine managing all those damned rocks' physics.

My drilling machine has produced over 1,000 individual pieces of rock debris. It's outside the asteroid, floating in a gigantic cloud. I used grav generators to draw the rocks outside of the hole.

And that is causing the lag problem. They need to be removed from the processing pool.

7. freshmango55

freshmango55 Apprentice Engineer

This still doesn't fix the problem of having to click a thousand little rocks, they need to add some kind of device that captures them if it's on your ship and transfers them to cargo containers through conveyors.

8. KriegsMeister

KriegsMeister Apprentice Engineer

If you go into the modding section there is a thread that describes a way to delete all of the loose debris from the save file

9. jlf1976

jlf1976 Apprentice Engineer

I was playing around with mining last night and noticed that if you fling ore with gravgens, the bits stop in space once it got beyond their influence. It seems the physics lag is lessened by the rocks not moving. When you make piles of them, they are always colliding with one another and the system has to recalculate on each one. I had thousands of little rocks floating out there in a giant cloud but was able to continue, though it was still very laggy.

I noticed that if I saved, exited the world and reloaded it, the screen would freeze for a few seconds and then most of the lag was gone. I think they might have added some sort of cleanup routine.

But yeah, until we can easily clean up ore so it doesn't accumulate, we will always have this problem (unless they turn these things into ugly sprites or something). And yeah, that stuff surely has a lot of He3 in it, so why throw it away? (not that He3 will ever be factored into the game :p)

10. Skeloton

Skeloton Master Engineer

Drilling into a doughnut shape asteroid, taken me ages to bore a hole through the ring and now im expanding the centre. Should see the plume I made with all the debris, its about 60-100km long and 4km wide. Got a bit laggy so I used the SEtoolbox and deleted all the "floating object" entries.

11. NKato

NKato Trainee Engineer

And where do you use the SEToolbox? Would like to know how to handle these entries. (Heck, what is SEToolbox?)

12. Skeloton

Skeloton Master Engineer

https://forums.keenswh.com/post/custom-importereditor-tool-setoolbox-6638984

13. Falidell

Falidell Apprentice Engineer

https://forums.keenswh.com/post/custom-importereditor-tool-setoolbox-6638984

load your world after install. click the tab labeled type untill floating object is on top. select the first one.. scroll all the way down to your ships and such... press and hold SHIFT and click the last floating object... then delete then save.. continue with your world stuff

14. NKato

NKato Trainee Engineer

That helps a lot. Thanks.

15. NKato

NKato Trainee Engineer

So, a little update on the big dig project after the latest patch: The tunnel has been bored from one end to the other, and straightened out. I've also begun widening the tunnel, while using explosives to core out the inside of the asteroid.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.