1. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

Custom Importer/Editor tool - SEToolbox

Discussion in 'Modding Guides and Tools' started by midspace, Nov 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. midspace

midspace Senior Engineer

Yes, breaking changes. I'll need to release a new build. Just woke up. Give me a couple of hours to test and deploy. :)

2. midspace

midspace Senior Engineer

I have considered automatically updating the files it uses from Space Engineers, but... The risk is it could potentially corrupt your save files. I'd rather have the Toolbox stop working in that instance.
    This forces me to test the new changes in the Toolbox before a release.

3. midspace

midspace Senior Engineer

Version 01.009.009 Release 1 is up. See link at top.

To support the new SE 01.009.009 release the following has been added.
    * More Asteroids options!
    * Sandbox repair. Fixes the common issue with the multiple/missing/corrupt Player Character.
    * Added unit scales (m=meters, Km, etc.)
    * Conversion from Light Armor to Heavy Armor, and vice-a-versa.
    * Conversion from ship/station to wire-frame structure, and vice-a-versa.
    * Construction requirements. SE is edging up to a working game, and this panel will tell you how much 'Ore' you need to Mine to build that ship/station, and how long it takes to refine that ore, and build those components (all according to the game data). Some scary stuff for those big ships. But hey, the Death Star wasn't built in a day, you know!
    * Minor UI Improvements.

4. Hatter

Hatter Apprentice Engineer

5. midspace

midspace Senior Engineer

Couple of quick questions to help diagnose this issue.
    Are you running a 32bit or 64bit operating system?
    You haven't by chance renamed the "SpaceEngineers.exe" to something else?
    Is the game actually installed on your computer from Steam, or copied there from another computer?

6. midspace

midspace Senior Engineer

Scaling of 3D models is already present.
    I've just added some more detail to the screen, so you know the exact measurements.

Unless you are asking for separate scaling of X, Y and Z. Which might be considered 'stretching/shrinking' the model on an individual axis. ?

7. warmachine2k

warmachine2k Apprentice Engineer

thing is, in starmade when you enter build mode it gives you live data on your build like size and what not. for example in this build my station is 307m long(x) 240m high(y) and 307m wide(z), in your program you could only get close but not exact with the scale multiplier you provided if you could allow a manual entry of the size in your Toolbox then i think it'll be really easy to recreate this in a near 1:1 ratio

[​IMG]

8. midspace

midspace Senior Engineer

Manual entry of a fixed size is indicated in Red.
    [​IMG]

9. AhtoS

AhtoS Trainee Engineer

Same here. Yes i have SE installed from steam and nothing changed and running 64 bit W8.

10. mbauer558

mbauer558 Trainee Engineer

Me too. Same problem

11. Zara

Zara Apprentice Engineer

at first, sorry for bad english.

my question is, can i import ships from starmade in spaceengineers with this tool? ich have a nice ship and the ending from the data is .sment

12. midspace

midspace Senior Engineer

Version 01.009.011 Release 1 is up. See link at top.

The directories of Space Engineers has changed under SE 01.009.011.
    This broke some of the checks in the SEToolbox, which I've now removed as it was causing some grief anyhow.
    Hopefully this fixes it for everyone!

Should now work with the latest version.

13. midspace

midspace Senior Engineer

Use SMEdit to export to obj file format.
    https://www.starmadewiki.com/wiki/SMEdit

Use SEToolbox to Import obj file format.

14. Falidell

Falidell Apprentice Engineer

midspace i love you! thankyou for this tool too! helps me out so much :love:

15. AhtoS

AhtoS Trainee Engineer

Yep its working now , Thank you!

16. Zara

Zara Apprentice Engineer

I'll try it tomorrow^^

17. midspace

midspace Senior Engineer

Version 01.010.008 Release 1 is up. See link at top.

Updated for the new Space Engineers Binaries.

Automatic checks for updates from the previous version should show this new one is now available.

18. warmachine2k

warmachine2k Apprentice Engineer

*sorry for the delay in responding* thats just the length i also need to resize the width and height as well with specific numbers too, can you make that possible?

19. midspace

midspace Senior Engineer

By changing "Max Length", all 3 dimensions (Height, Width, Depth) are scaled up together. Please note in the image, that all 3 dimensions in 'New Size', have scaled up simultaneously from 'Original Size'.

Currently, I cannot provide independent scaling of the 3 dimensions because of the 3rd party tool I am using does not allow it.
    I'm sorry that I cannot do more than this at the moment.

20. midspace

midspace Senior Engineer

Version 01.010.008 Release 2 is up. See link at top.

<div>Drag-Drop for export/import. Simply open 2 Toolboxes!
    • Copy ships.
    • Copy groups of ships.
    • Copy stations along with Asteroids.
    • Copy ships mounted to other ships with Motor/Rotor.
    • Copy ships attached by magnetic landing gear.
    • Removes any pilots.

</div>[​IMG]

21. Pantsu

Pantsu Trainee Engineer

Nope. This may give you proportions of the model you're building, but there's a LOT of cleanup afterwards. I have imported multiple models and ships via Maya and there's always details to be edited. Took me almost a week to finish up my shipyard from Homeworld 2.

Edit:
    Can I edit an existing ship with this tool? Making a Large Ship into a Station? Said shipyard is so massive a slight bump will cause it drifting extremely slow and gyros does nothing. Lags like hell, and since it's so massive it should be stationary anyway.

22. Stonewolf

Stonewolf Junior Engineer

Got around testing SEToolbox today. Just a quick remove of stones (well not all or there would have only been wolf left :cool:) Didn't realize how much info this tool gives and can do. This is a must tool for every SE'er. Thank you and keep up the good work :thumb:

23. TechyBen

TechyBen Junior Engineer

I get an error when trying to open a save:
    Object reference not set to an instance of an object

:/

24. midspace

midspace Senior Engineer

Ah, that is an elusive bug.
    I'll have to ask if you can zip up that particular save and send it to me somehow (dropbox, skydrive), and send me a PM of the link.

Hopefully I can give you a fix by this evening.
    I can also PM you an email address if you don't have any cloud storage.

25. Balmung

Balmung Senior Engineer

Hm, I think a good Feature for this Tool would be to Exchange one Block on the complete Save with another one. For example when you want to replace a Custom/Official Block with a Custom one. But for safety it must check the Blocksize (1x1, 2x1 etc.).

26. midspace

midspace Senior Engineer

Version 01.011.006 Release 1 is up. See link at top.
    • Updated for new Space Engineers Release.
    • Improved smoothing on 3D Model imports.
    • Fixed corner calculations. (Some corners yet to be added)
    • Added Inverse Corners.
    • Added more error handling to deal with reported start-up issues.
    This is an awesome idea. I've been considering something similar (swapping one colour of armour for another). But this would much better!

Some limited editing is currently in place. You set all relativistic speed to 0, and repair a ship.

This is on feature I want to put in. I am concerned that Keen don't allow Station's to be rotated. They are always fixed along major axis.
    Alignment of blocks however can be off the whole units. If you have ever tried to copy station, and then build out from one station to the other, you can end up overlapping the blocks.

I've been considering how to add and additional 'internal' detection, to prevent adding smoothing to the inside of a model, as some models are not solid shells.
    Sometimes they have a break in the surface, which causes my code to attempt smoothing out the inside, which frankly isn't required.

I can't help you unless you help me. :(

27. Falidell

Falidell Apprentice Engineer

EDIT:: i'm a smart one i read it as in the game won't load your save....
    well i'll give the bottom just in case...

still post your world here.....

previous statement before reading properly :
    TechyBen
    post your world and your error log
    found "%appdata%\SpaceEngineers" without quotes

for the save:
    saves\*randomnumbers*\"yourworldname" put it in a dropbox or somthing..

for the Log:

rename %appdata%\SpaceEngineers\SpaceEngineers.txt to SpaceEngineersBacklog12_19_13.txt
    try to run your world it won't
    go back and open the newly created spaceengineers.txt and post whats inside as well as the world you put in dropbox into a new forum topic in the bugs section... and a brief description of what you were doing before this all happened.. and the message the error gives

edit decided that the backlog might be important later on

28. Stonewolf

Stonewolf Junior Engineer

Just thinking out loud here :cool:

"Would be great if SEToolbox would have an option to add X amount of random asteroids to a X km Radius of current location."

I was adding asteroids individually. moving to another location, saving, opening SEToolbox, adding asteroid and loading the world again. (This is slow.) So I figured I needed to shake Midspace and see what falls ;)

"All build out - Need more space"

[​IMG]

29. Balmung

Balmung Senior Engineer

Hm, a Idea could be to use a complete empty Map and than you could add with the Tool with some Option Astroids. Options could be a list of all Astroids and you could select on every single one from 0 to any Number how often it should be used and in which perimeter. So you could generate a Random Asteroid Field.

Or a complete other Idea, that I have seen on other Game Tools: use a greyscaled Image. Black is the normal Space (or Alpha channel - than you could use black too), dark grey to white is the Z Axis (= height), would be 255 Steps... 1 Step could be for example 10m so you have 2.55km for the Z Axis, but you could make Step Size changeable in the Tool. 1x1 Pixel (with other color around) on the Image could be the smallest Asteroid, don't know how big it must be for the biggest Asteroid... 20x20 Pixel?

Hm, not really perfect solution, but I like the main Idea so you could draw an Asteroid field with Photoshop and import it with the Tool. Or you build a simple 2D Map Editor to place Asteroids. But that is more work and I think better for an extra Tool.

Only some fast and dirty Ideas. ^^

30. midspace

midspace Senior Engineer

Version 01.011.006 Release 1 is up. See link at top.
    • Updated for new Space Engineers Release.
    • Material selection when importing stock asteroids.
    • Convert to/from station/ship.
    • Reverse speed/spin of drifting ships.
    Probably the biggest change here is the ability to select the material (Gold, Uranium, Platinum, Stone, etc) when importing a stock asteroid.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.