1. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

Save file is corrupted. What do I do?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by GlassToTheArson, Dec 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. GlassToTheArson

GlassToTheArson Trainee Engineer

I've worked for 26 hours building my ship, and now upon logging in, my save file is now randomly corrupted?

I am at a complete loss for words, and quite honestly quickly losing interest in playing.

Is there ANY way for me to recover my work?

2. GlassToTheArson

I've tried using SpaceEditor and it just tells me the save file cannot be loaded

3. Rico

Rico Junior Engineer

Maybe u can try this:
    https://forums.keenswh.com/post/is-there-any-way-to-uncorrupt-a-world-6660985

i hope this will help u a bit... Good Luck ^^

4. Falidell

Falidell Apprentice Engineer

also midspace has made a wonderful tool called SEToolBox that will fix common save file errors that prevent loading.

found Here-\/
    https://forums.keenswh.com/post/custom-importereditor-tool-setoolbox-6638984

5. GlassToTheArson

Unfortunately neither of these worked. Like I said, SEditor just keeps telling me the save file cannot be loaded.

6. GlassToTheArson

It seems whatever happened to my file is so bad that SEToolbox can't even TRY to fix it. It just keeps crashing with an error message

Tried using an older version of SET and they won't even launch, apparently because of how badly the save files are corrupted. I'm really at a loss for words. I have absolutely no clue what could have happened that caused this. I literally did NOTHING to my computer between play sessions. I log out one night, and the next day my saves are suddenly, irreparably corrupted.

At this point, none of the suggested programs are able to even look at the files.

7. Stonewolf

Stonewolf Junior Engineer

You could try using notepad to open the save file. This file contains your ship in text format and can be copied to another save.

I do recommend downloading notepad++ tho. Its free and can handle larger files better.

8. GlassToTheArson

What exactly am I looking for once I open it?

Better yet, which file am I opening using notepad? Each saves info is all in a folder

9. Stonewolf

Stonewolf Junior Engineer

File that contains your creation should be the largest in the folder. File is named SANDBOX_0_0_0_.sbs

Your ship it self is between lines.

<MyObjectBuilder_EntityBase xsi:type="MyObjectBuilder_CubeGrid">

</MyObjectBuilder_EntityBase>

What is between can be several thousands of lines of code depending what is in your ship. If you have not entered a beacon or something else that can identify it as your build, you mite have to copy them one by one to a new save until you find yours.

10. GlassToTheArson

Alright, so I see my ship, including near the end, an enormous chunk of what I assume is corrupted data. I tried excising it from the body of text at large, and then put the folder back in the game, to no avail.

I'll try copying it to an uncorrupted save

Edit: So, I've tried copying the text to a new save, and then removed what I could find of the corrupted data, and still, the game tells me it's corrupted.

Would you perhaps mind taking a crack at this?

Perhaps I could PM you the file

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.