1. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

Routine updates

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by keanu, Dec 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. keanu

keanu Trainee Engineer

I'd like it if there were like routine updates every month like in jan every Monday space engineers will update thy don't need to be big updates but routine like textures features or extra blocks up until the game is fully released vote in poll if you agree

2. The_Director

The_Director Junior Engineer

Time for YOU to catch up. (lol)

The Dev team for SE are updating every Thursday (almost) every week.

Just yesterday they launched the small ship weapons.

3. ShaggyAMT

ShaggyAMT Apprentice Engineer

4. keanu

keanu Trainee Engineer

You are not understanding what I am saying like routine being thy insert on the calendar every update planed for the month not just say there is going to be an update 3 or 4 days before like the first time i herd about the last update was on the day it was released

5. SaturaxCZ

SaturaxCZ Senior Engineer

Some updates will take more time for sure, like map, machine groups, turents, npc, atc... force update on time can have negative effect on updates. So give them enought time to finish is beter then have half baked updates full of bugs. ( some thinks just need time ) :bawl: and they can not creat small updates all time... it will push big updates on other line ( they can save few hours in week for big update, but big updates will still request same amount of time to finish )

+ i can imagine this unpatient players: When will we get turent finaly work ?, when will mineral detector start work ?, Why SE release only small updates, atc...

6. The_Director

The_Director Junior Engineer

Its is bad to wait and do a once a month update because then they can't test often.

Think on this, Every week (or so) a new update is given with something little new.

Players will focus on that new little thing and test it till it bleeds digits.

Or you can have a once a month update and players will not focus on anything but the really big part, and those small things are not checked for bugs.

On the one hand, small updates lets the game be completely tested, the other is only the big parts of the game are tested, and you have these little details broken.

And while being informed is nice, Dev's can't do that, because they may hit a roadblock and have to wait another week/month to launch. A week is better than a month no?

T_D

(btw i wasn't trying to be mean)

Wow indeed

7. Ash87

Ash87 Senior Engineer

No. Period.

Adding in a map of what the devs are doing is ultimately damaging. It puts stress on them, it puts unnecessary expectations in the minds of the community, and it's just not needed. Also, if a single feature doesn't get added at any time (Which invariably does happen) you get ridiculous community backlash in the form of people who seem to think they are the bosses of the development team... which is annoying, throws a lot of negative energy at the devs, degrades the community, feeds trolls... no.

Absolutely not. Development is working perfectly well as is, let KSH keep doing what they are doing and this game's launch will be wonderful.

8. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax Senior Engineer

I would have to agree that laying out a strict update schedule can be more counter-productive than effective, particularly in Alpha builds of software. One little stumbling block, one missed cool feature, or one rushed patch that ends up too buggy, and you start getting backlash in the forums. Even the best of us can revert into whiny self-entitled snots when somebody doesn't give us the shiny cool thing we were promised. Waaah! :)

Now, what might be cool is a general "what we're working on" list that is expressly and blatantly labeled as "TENTATIVE!!!" Would give us a little ongoing peek into what the devs are considering priority, what they feel is going to be easier to accomplish short-term vs long-term, and (most importantly to this community) a glimpse into what suggestions we've all been harping over are actually on the list for potentially being implemented. I've been through a few Alpha tests where the devs kept the players in a very loose loop like that, and it tends to generate a little more excitement and buzz as those features you're rooting for get closer to the top of the pile... The key is to make sure everyone knows it's what they hope to do, not what they promise to do. Sometimes a concept just doesn't successfully gel into the code or game flow correctly, and that's just a (sad) part of the development process.

9. Gentry

Gentry Senior Engineer

lol kid you need to learn about game development

10. Falidell

Falidell Apprentice Engineer

i think he is saying that he is happy that there is weekly game updates but he would like monthly information updates about what they are working on.....

answer assuming that is the case:
    no this has been asked before. everything is kept quite. they keep it quiet because they don't want to disappoint. or mislead. in this stage of the game features get planned and removed very often... if they show that they planned a feature and then suddenly decided againced it.. now that can cause disappointment. so they keep quiet.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.