1. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

Batteries to store Solar energy.

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Joeliosis, Mar 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Joeliosis

Joeliosis Trainee Engineer

I think that with the addition of solar panels, we should have batteries to store the energy in.

My experience with solar panels shows that they are not to be used as primary power, especially for larger craft. They cant handle the power output needed to run large engines.
    I think if batteries were introduced, the solar power collected could be stored in them. The battery would act as a sort of back up generator, giving out the same power output as say, a small generator, but once the solar power is used up, uranium power is needed.
    This would have to introduce a new power source to the game other than uranium, but I think batteries would breathe life into the creation of solar vessels.
    My friend was trying to make a small craft that has thrusters and solar panels on a rotor, so he can use it like a real mast. wont work. .... brilliant though

2. Eruend

Eruend Apprentice Engineer

I think batteries to store any type of energy would be fine. Heck, small ships could be battery powered and supplied while docked instead of zipping around with a nuclear reactor strapped to them. Which only seems sensible to me. Ofcourse, this would limit the operational range of said ships, but no pros without cons right?

3. ProfessorFalken

ProfessorFalken Apprentice Engineer

It would also be used as a backup system for ships. It would be nice if you could tie it to the power system so that once you are down to running on batteries, it would automatically shut down non-essential systems like refineries and large thrusters.

4. Joeliosis

And you should be able to turn the batteries on and off of course. This wouldn't stop them from receiving energy, but stop the output. For emergency use later

5. MotoRider42HC

MotoRider42HC Apprentice Engineer

That makes sense... but idk... they'd have to be very expensive to keep the game balanced...

6. Eruend

Eruend Apprentice Engineer

Nah, just have them being bulky and heavy. That'll be plenty to balance it out, seeing as it still sucks the power from somewhere to charge them. Rely too much on batteries, and you'd just end up consuming more power then you need, seeing as increased mass = lower thrust effectiveness. you'd need more thrusters to compensate if you wished to do so. also, they obviously couldn't hold an indefinite charge. With a limited max charge per battery, they'd need a ton of them to last a good long while.

I see these being useful as emergency power supplies, solar panel assistant modules, power source for short range operations ships, and station power reserves. Nothing in which would be abussive or beond reason in my opinion. I could be wrong, but that's how I see it.

7. MotoRider42HC

MotoRider42HC Apprentice Engineer

8. Joeliosis

THANKS KEEN SOFTWARE! You guys keep implementing things I suggest and it just tickles me pink :love:

9. DoctorDeathDefying

DoctorDeathDefying Apprentice Engineer

Batteries would definitely be an excellent addition to the game. You could simply build a solar farm outside your station, keep empty batteries there, and when you need to go on a flight, they'd be fully charged!

100% support

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.