1. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

Custom Importer/Editor tool - SEToolbox

Discussion in 'Modding Guides and Tools' started by midspace, Nov 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Atheos

Atheos Trainee Engineer

That's quick! Good job, and thank you very much!

2. Neverathome

Neverathome Apprentice Engineer

Ty so much for this tool midspace :) no more lag on my world,i had floating debris in the range of 500km to 2000km and more, from anglegrinders to complete ships and everything in between :) even stuff just hundreds of meters away i dindnt notice ingame.

Nice program good job:thumb:

Kind regard's Neverathome

3. Saint

Saint Trainee Engineer

Midspace your a legend! really was worried about trying to design bigger ships on my own etc but now being able to import a shell and then get to work really just got me foaming at the mouth to get really stuck in!

Just imported and Eve Online Drake - set scale to 2 and oppps it was massive and went off the screen!!!

Quick question to you or any others though, I grabbed a Dr Who Tardis .stl file from thingiverse and its been designed to be hollow (perfect for working on it in SE) however i drilled through 2 layers of armour only to find i cant move into the middle, its as though its been filled in with invisible blocks. any suggestions from anyone?

4. Stonewolf

Stonewolf Junior Engineer

I was mostly thinking of softcopy, a tab/container to house ones ships to easy transfer to new world. Rather than load several old worlds and drag from those. But now that you mentioned, a hardcopy would serve an app designer to finally get at least one spaceengineers app in the android/iphone market. Maybe someone could design a showcase app to show and trade ship with phones and tablets. Id buy one :cool: Maybe I'm over thinking this? Paper copy, I would save no tho, I don't want them to kill anymore trees than necessary :( Totally get the asteroid first, and thank you for doing so. Its been mostly useful :cool:

Sorry If i miss understood hard and soft copy. Programming side of computing still eludes me, I can, to some extend read code but haven't even tried writing anything more complicated than 'hello world' back when basic and c64 was the thing :D Well I did somewhat of html code at somepoint, but somehow I doubt that even count anywhere. Oh yea and messed with something called autohotkey somewhat back in my puzzlepirate days :D But I'm going off topic here, sorry :rolleyes:

On the second 3D world view. Yea totally understand, Just something from the back-of-my-head :)

5. midspace

midspace Senior Engineer

Sorry, I think I misunderstood earlier.

Yes, I think the 'blueprint' tab in SE will do this some time in the future. Perhaps even allow publishing just the ship to the Steam Workshop without the entire world.

For the moment however, you can do something similar in SEToolbox.
    You can select a ship/station and export it. Provide a nice name to the file, and store it in a dedicated directory.
    This way, you can build up a collection of ships, with different variations, versions, or colors!

At any time, you can re-import with, with "Import", "Sandbox Content files".
    (Just remember to change the position, in case it occupies the same space as another ship.)

6. pirate

pirate Apprentice Engineer

Attempting to import 3D models in the latest version isn't working. I've selected a .3ds file and set it up but nothing appears in the preview, and none of the data changes. Am I missing a step or...?

e: Seems like this problem is only occurring with .3ds files. I tried a .obj and it works.

7. midspace

midspace Senior Engineer

Some .3ds files appear to be corrupt, or missing something.
    When trying to load the same files in Blender, it also rejects them.

I don't really understand what is causing the issue, but if you can convert the mesh/model into another compatible format somehow, it may work in the Toolbox.

8. Stonewolf

Stonewolf Junior Engineer

Wow brilliant, I though the import/export was just for other 3d models, never played with it other than bring few models in trying to do a round/ball shape. Ill be using SEToolbox a lot this weekend then, saving my ships and removing extra worlds.

Thank you midspace, your the best :cool:

9. plaYer2k

plaYer2k Master Engineer

Indeed this is certainly the most useful tool for SE :3
    Good job.

10. Atheos

Atheos Trainee Engineer

With this tool, would it be possible to create a new group of astroids, say 40 000m from spawn? How much of an impact would this have on server performance?

11. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Senior Engineer

I put all the different recourses into cargo containers, duplicated the cargo boxes, in creative of coarse so there was a stupid huge amount of each recourse, put it all in one container, cut n paste that container 25,000m away take rocks/recourses out of container into inventory, build a huge steel wall to stop the rock/recourse floating away, drop out of inventory, it drifts into wall and stops, delete wall. Save Map, now at this point you can add them asteroids with setoolbox, drop them into any other map them end up at the same distance from spawn, time consuming, but that's how I got around it for now.

Thanks to Midspace again for another great update to this fantastic program.

12. midspace

midspace Senior Engineer

Absolutely.

SEToolbox will allow you to move your Player to another coordinate on the map.

Once there, SEToolbox will allow you to create an asteroid field around the location of the Player.

Then move the player back!

Server performance is unknown, and very machine specific in resources used. (The game is in Alpha after all)
    There are limitations in how many asteroids you can have however.
    You will know it when either, Space Engineers crashes when you try to load the 'world', or the asteroids look blocky.

13. Atheos

Atheos Trainee Engineer

Wow, that sounds really interesting! I'll have to do some testing when I get back home. I'm also thinking of moving the asteroids of the original asteroid field further apart, so that it won't be so crowded. I'll get back to you guys once I've tested all this, I'm really excited about it! :D

Once again, amazing job Midspace!

14. Atheos

Atheos Trainee Engineer

Could you perhaps write some kind of walkthrough for creating an asteroid field similar to the one you spawn at when you use the "Extreme" preset (16 large asteroids)? I don't quite understand the "Import asteroid field" part of the toolbox. :)

15. Max_Pain

Max_Pain Trainee Engineer

HUGE THANKS

its made my game run faster with no slow going even loaded up with lots of cargo ships
    (the floating ore, metal tools and broken space ships made it run slow as)

16. Sparx

Sparx Trainee Engineer

This is a really useful program. I was wondering if you could add a few asteroid presets for perfect cube asteroids (maybe 1-3 different sizes or something), it would really help me test some various aspects of mining. I would use the poly2vox program included but I don't have 3DSMax.

Edit: I got a cube.obj, but after using poly2vox it doesn't want to import as an asteroid
    Here's the cube.obj
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25140621/cube.obj

17. midspace

midspace Senior Engineer

Version 01.023.017 Release 1 is up. See link at top.
    • Fixed bugs on selecting items.
    • Fixed bugs causing timeout when examining large asteroids.
    • Fixed calculations of resources required for ships/stations (seriously undervalued).
    • Added all new breakdown of ship/station, showing cubes, components, ingots and ore.
    I sorry, I haven't made as much headway as I would like recently with the new features.

18. midspace

midspace Senior Engineer

I created a map recently with the Space Engineers generated asteroids, and this was the break down.

hopebase512.vox
    arabian_border_7.vox
    small_pirate_base_3_1.vox
    reef_ast.vox
    deformedsphere1_64x64x64.vox
    arabian_border_7.vox

barths_moon_base.vox
    small_pirate_base_3_2.vox
    reef_ast.vox
    deformedsphere2_64x64x64.vox

bioresearch.vox

barths_moon_base.vox
    arabian_border_7.vox
    reef_ast.vox

junkyard_raceasteroid_256x256x256.vox
    small_pirate_base_3_1.vox

SEToolbox doesn't do as good a job on the range of ore created in an asteroid field in my opinion, because I've only allowed up to 5 ores. Space Engineers will fill out large asteroids will all 9 ores in an approximate amounts required for building most ships.
    But SEToolbox does give you the flexibility of specifying how much (within the bounds of Space Engineers changing the outside of asteroids back to stone or any non-rare ore) ore, and size and number of asteroids.

Basic steps:
    <div>
    1. Fly to the centre of where you want a new asteroid field.
    2. Select "Import", "Generate Asteroid Field"
    3. Specify the minimum range that you want to limit the asteroids to. You can set it to zero (0), but I'd wouldn't go below 50m, just in case drops one right on top of your player.
    4. Specify the maximum range. created means a larger field, but wider more spaced out dispersal. Which of course depends on how many asteroids you want!
    Specifying asteroids has the following:
    1. Select the asteroid by the it's name.
    2. Select the main material. I would pick only Stone. Stone is practically required by Space Engineers for it's base material.
    3. Select a second ore material if you want one. Iron, Gold.
    4. Select the percentage of the asteroid you want to be the second ore material.
    5. If you want a third, select the ore and the percent.
    6. Remember that any percentages that you select must be less than 100, to leave at least 1 percent of the Stone.
    7. Add a forth and fifth ore if you want.
    Adding more asteroids. By default there is one asteroid.
    You can press "Add", or Alt+A to add another asteroid.
    Selecting an existing asteroid in the row and pressing "Add" to copy that same data.
    This means you can press Alt+A 30 times, and quickly get 30 asteroids.
    Or you can go crazy and hold down Alt+A. That's why there is a number on the left to tell you how many you have.
    I've created a asteroid field of 300 of the "many_medium_asteroids" in this manner, which looks good spread out.

You can tune or adjust the ore, or the base asteroid until you are happy, and then press "Create".
    After a short moment, all asteroid will be created in your save 'world'.

Don't forget to press "Save", as the asteroids are not written to you save world until then.

An advanced hint.
    If you have a custom generated asteroid (ie., one of mine, or from Miner Wars), you can place it in the VoxelMaps directory.
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\SpaceEngineers\Content\VoxelMaps
    And the Asteroid Field Generator will present it as an option to choose from.
    </div>

19. Em3rgency

Em3rgency Trainee Engineer

Thank you for the update and the guide! I was struggling with asteroid field generation up until now, had to copy them from other maps :) Your program is amazing for making SE maps awesome. Keep it up!
    EDIT: Sort by distance doesn't seem to work properly with your new version O.o

20. midspace

midspace Senior Engineer

I'm working on options for generating asteroids, but I didn't think anyone would want some pre-generated cubes. :crazy:

The Poly2Vox does not generate the same format of .vox that KeenSH uses for asteroids.
    They just happened to have the same file extension, and store volumetric information. But are very very different.

I've created a small selection of asteroids in a Workshop for you, with cubes from ranging from 1x1x1 m, to 100x100x100 m.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=245227185

21. Sparx

Sparx Trainee Engineer

Thank you very much :­D

22. midspace

midspace Senior Engineer

Thanks for spotting that!

It seems I broke the sort when right aligning the distance!
    A fix will be in the next release, hopefully in about 12 hours (which should include any SE updates.)

23. Azgarech

Azgarech Trainee Engineer

Hi,

This tools is just great. I could clean up a bit my little world and add some asteroid.

But this is a bug comming from last version of Space Engineers:

- [​IMG]

My little finger is telling me that this is about the meteor addon :)

Thanks all

24. shadow250

shadow250 Apprentice Engineer

im sure it is, just shut meteors off reload to let any clear out then save again and it should work.

25. Azgarech

I tried it but didn't change anything to the issue. I let the game run for a while now gonna test it.

Edit: Still the same error

26. shadow250

shadow250 Apprentice Engineer

i had to wait about 10 minutes but it did work

27. midspace

midspace Senior Engineer

Version 01.024.010 Release 1 is up. See link at top.
    • Fixed broken sorting on Distance.
    • Added support for new unknown objects (such as Meteor), until I create a custom control to allow editing them specifically.

28. Azgarech

I did try again tomorrow but after an other try still nothing. I don't know how those meteors object are dealt with the engine. And if they disapear totally after sometimes.

My apologies for my level of English, and I am hopping to be clear enough.

Edit:That was a fast update. Thanks a lot.

29. WeynaK

WeynaK Trainee Engineer

This Rocks!, actually saved my world from the scrap heap :D

30. Ajaxial

Ajaxial Trainee Engineer

Just signed up to quickly post and hope I get some sort of direction to an issue I'm having as I'm very intrigued in trying out this tool.

Upon trying to use this, be it via MSI or ZIP. It refuses to find the Space Engineers directory. I have backed up my Space Engineers, deleted local content and then proceeded to reinstall the backup to no avail, and also just straight out delete the game from my steams list clear out the folders and then proceeded to re-download and reinstall the game. Sadly neither has given any viable results.

Could anyone perchance be kind enough to shed a bit more light upon the issue and maybe direct me to a solution to this issue. It would be truly appreciated. I understand I can make a Registry entry, however I have never done such before to that degree and am hesitant to go meddling within the system in that manner.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.