1. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

New Block: Construction foam

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by exelsiar, Apr 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. exelsiar

exelsiar Trainee Engineer

Hello there, I'm for ever frustrated by having to build using blocks of armour or interior walls for the most mundane of things. I'd like to suggest an alternative, blocks of space construction foam. I'm imagining a metal frame pumped full of this foam.

2. Falidell

Falidell Apprentice Engineer

what would you suggest this material be made of?? it can be modded into the game... i personally wouldn't want it in my version of the game but i can help you bring it into yours... only thing i would maybe use that for is a filler block for asteroid tunnel bases to fill the gap between normal blocks and rock wall.. enterly unaffected by voxel interference in placement(that i think is hardcoded)...

3. exelsiar

exelsiar Trainee Engineer

After some quick googling of IRL spray foams, they seem to be mostly plastic based, so perhaps a new resource for it, with some steel plates/girders for the bordering of such blocks, assuming an actual spray material isn't added to the game.

As for modding it in, I don't have the knowledge or interest in doing that, thanks tho :)

4. Volthorne

Volthorne Apprentice Engineer

Silicon mixed with gravel (don't ask me how that would actually work, it just does much like Magnesium powder somehow just works for propellant). No new resource needed. Plus that would give a use for gravel!

5. Comrade Jenkens

Comrade Jenkens Trainee Engineer

Maybe rather than in blocks it could be almost the opposite of the hand drill. A tool that builds it up as you hold the mouse button. This way it could fill any gap.

6. Virakotxa

Virakotxa Apprentice Engineer

That could be pretty cool.

7. mastpayne

mastpayne Senior Engineer

How 'bout just a tamping tool that compresses/packs gravel into block 'gaps' that has the same hardness as the regular stone. (Maybe silicon as a gluing agent)

8. Leadfootslim

Leadfootslim Senior Engineer

This is actually a brilliant idea. Asteroids already use the square grid for alignment... the devs have mentioned rock blocks but the only balance issue is whether or not it'd invalidate the use of metal for building a station. A tamping mechanic like this sidesteps that by only allowing reshaping of an asteroid and not outward expansion.

9. mastpayne

mastpayne Senior Engineer

...and it is another use for gravel.

10. ADM-Ntek

ADM-Ntek Trainee Engineer

i really like the idea my home asteroid has a few big holes i would like to close and this would be the best/only way. also it cluld be cool to could it on your ship as some sort of stealth system.

11. Zanshin

Zanshin Trainee Engineer

Excellent idea. The reality of having an endless supply of gravel which goes unused has always struck me as a bit odd. I'm sure engineers would tap into that resource and use it extensively.

12. Xocliw

Xocliw Public Relations Staff

+1 for a great idea :cool:.

13. Max_Pain

Max_Pain Trainee Engineer

sorry to bump an old post but
    i like the idea of this
    as a bonus of a expanding foam gun it could seal asteroid base's so you can have a fully sealed base with oxygen and no helmet
    only thing needed would be seals for hanger doors(for when you open them and close them for ships)
    and you could spray it on your ship to be A: light weight and B: stealth (looks like a moving asteroid) and make the foam paint able
    i like the idea of the longer you hold the mouse button the more it builds up and small time(7 to 15 seconds) for it to expand, i dont like any sort of full square block design filled with foam or what not(point less just use a cube and fully or half build it)

14. Orange_Slime_

Orange_Slime_ Junior Engineer

I love the foam gun, and with the new O2, All we need is for it to be pressurised and calculated via a void in an area system, so we could have asteroid bases pressurised and this would be useful, also, for the hangar doors Idea, I think that it should only stick to the block or part you put it on and be compressible, so we could have it seal the hangar bay doors that are made of blast doors! and maybe with a multiblock system so we can surround pistons and the like with it?! Maybe the spray gun or even foam grenades could be made using the suggestion in my sig!

+9001

15. QMAN

QMAN Trainee Engineer

16. maldor96

maldor96 Trainee Engineer

17. Killacyte

Killacyte Senior Engineer

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.