1. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

What SE might look like next year graphics wise?

Discussion in 'General' started by Amerikanovich, Apr 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Amerikanovich

Amerikanovich Apprentice Engineer

Any chance Space Engineers may one day be as beautiful as Shattered Horizon? :D

Pretty please?? @_@

[​IMG]

2. McyD

McyD Apprentice Engineer

I really doubt we would see better graphics any time in the next few years, as it is still an alpha and new content, and optimizations take priority.

3. Turver

Turver Trainee Engineer

I think if the game was optimized to the point where gameplay is near flawless then improved models would be likely! It would look so pretty! However I'd still prefer that the focus were optimization and gameplay features.

4. iron_dinges

iron_dinges Apprentice Engineer

If they hire another modeler/artist, they can make more models with higher polycounts/textures, and faster.

It won't impact the speed at which we get new features, unless they have to add some custom code.

5. Johnny_Devo

Johnny_Devo Trainee Engineer

Hiring another modeler/artist is not free. While it would speed up the modeling side of their development, it would dig into their budget, and that could possibly result in a worse final release.

6. SaturaxCZ

SaturaxCZ Senior Engineer

From Shattered Horizon i want see only two thinks :rof: copy railgun for sniping and shot gun for in ship combat. I didnt die 90% time and killed, or capture all with this two weapons :D ( based on map ) + but for some reason Shattered Horizon graphic didnt him me, it was litl dull throught it was hight detailed.

7. Hatchie

Hatchie Apprentice Engineer

I actually hope we will first see lower graphics settings in SE...

8. SaturaxCZ

SaturaxCZ Senior Engineer

I believe game is not set on high resolution yet at first place, so graphic setting later will be interesting + render distance, effects, lights, shadows, atc...

Meybe game will have many times beter graphic like final product.

9. Xocliw

Xocliw Public Relations Staff

Well in the video they posted today, the artist said that the models are just basic and not really textured properly as some of the models will be redone in the future. An prime example would be the small thrusters, they are very boring to look at right now. A couple months ago Marek said that they had a new artist starting soon I believe.

10. Azgodeth

Azgodeth Trainee Engineer

prettyer isnt better.
    ill take gameplay over graphics anyday of the week, thanks.

11. ataaron

ataaron Apprentice Engineer

Its not as if that would counteract one another, they have plenty of money to hire people now if they need to

12. Donut64

Donut64 Trainee Engineer

Shattered Horizon was a great game. Too bad it'll never go anywhere...

13. MTemplar

MTemplar Apprentice Engineer

Actually it would impact quite a bit. Hiring someone, getting them up to speed, getting them used to the team, and then getting them going would be quite a task to take during this development cycle. I would say wait until they get more features and fix the current ones that need a little bit of improvement before trying to start to polish it.

Remember, a polished turd is still just a turd. I will take a unpolished diamond over a polished turd any day.

14. Spets

Spets Master Engineer

graphicwhorism < Gameplay

I dont mind if someday we have SE 2 with candy eye sweetness graphics, all I care is a good gameplay. SE looks ok for me right now, maybe we just need more decorations, and new construction blocks, also, performance tweak.

15. Amerikanovich

Everyone quickly seems to assume that better looking graphics immediately means no possibility of lower graphics settings or more content.
    Assuming the game will continue to evolve as normal, with all expected content and more being built in, would anyone have anything against...or better said, would the engine allow for the graphics to look as pretty as seen in shattered horizon...

16. Brenner

Brenner Junior Engineer

Hmm, I think Space Engineers looks pretty damn good for a mine-craft like game even now. StarForge is the only serious competitor I can think of in this category.
    I wouldn't complain about further graphic improvements but I think gameplay features should be the priority.

17. Engeko

Engeko Trainee Engineer

I don't think we can afford better graphics, the game is already laggy on good configurations when a big construction is visible.

18. sketch424

sketch424 Trainee Engineer

starforge is no real competitor. it seems pretty stagnant if I'm honest. I would love to see that level of detailing/texturing in SE, they'd just need to re-texture and re-map the objects. It's not that big of a job, I believe we may see something like that but I'm with the optimisation crowd, we do need that first. Also better graphics doesn't always equate to a rubbish game, thats something that has been passed around by a lazy gaming industry that doesnt want to do both, in my opinion ;)

19. Amerikanovich

What everyone comments on first in SE is how amazing the lighting and shadows look, which is true, it's fantastic. I would mostly build upon that, though I think some basic metal textures are in order for things which are now either flat light grey or flat dark grey, etc.
    And of course increasing the complexity of the astronaut suit models is always good, since the characters are the things which we see the most, and a good looking character goes a long way in improving the overall graphics-feel of the game without adding much stress on the system at all (See screenshot).

20. StellaVagus

StellaVagus Apprentice Engineer

Well also I'd like to point out that Keen Software House is a 15 person team, and that graphics such as this would either take to many people or too much time to create.

21. Falidell

Falidell Apprentice Engineer

it would take a minute(slang:Long time) to create the textures, style, make sure the colors "blend" together well so things don't feel out of place.. but performance wise??? na won't affect performance that much

22. Xocliw

Xocliw Public Relations Staff

The poly-count would make a lot more difference on performance. The Devs stated that they will be redoing a lot of the models and will make them more polygon efficient. You can see here just how much could be saved:

https://forums.keenswh.com/post/jakejuds-polygon-optimization-mod-project-small-blocks-too-6708353?trail=15&highlight=jakejud

23. Amerikanovich

That is true especially with this game because of the sheer amount of geometry that can be built in 1 map with a few players, I think they should check to see what kind of things get noticed the most and make the biggest impact on gameplay and improve those without affecting performance.

And while I think the low poly mod is a good idea, it should be something scalable in the graphics options, I can sympathize with people who are running craptops, I was stuck with one for 7 years that could hardly run garrysmod, however my current computer doesn't even break a sweat on extreme settings and I would be sad if the game suddenly looked like minecraft. :(

24. R Lee Ermey

R Lee Ermey Apprentice Engineer

That would be sweet but it would take a monster machine to run that with voxels.

Voxels and keeping track of all the positions, statuses etc takes a lot of processing power. That is why even Minecraft can bog systems down (even though its java) and has the simplest possible geometry you can make. Planet Explorers runs pretty well on some machines too and has decent graphics but far from cutting edge. But its difficult to really do advanced graphics unless you are targeting only the people who have the best machines. It is in their best interests to keep the graphics toned down to allow almost all pc gamers to play.

Maybe a modder will push it further down the road.

Also like Minecraft I see this game suffering the same fate. All the modders will have to finish and add all the good stuff that we want. Minecraft still hasn't come close to some of the stuff the modders have made. I'm starting to see people adding all sort of cool blocks like algae etc..

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.