1. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

Update 01.033 - Merge block, conversion of station to ship, news box in main menu

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by George.Mamakos, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. High_RnD

High_RnD Trainee Engineer

everyone is experiencing rubberbanding on our dedicated server. Game is definitely running worse now :(

2. Commander Rotal

Commander Rotal Master Engineer

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=264143053&searchtext=galaxy

It's fairly outdated (mostly because there's an issue with the neck; the sections don't align as they should, but there's also tons of stuff done to the Mashine Section since that upload) but a good idea of where this is going. Right now i'm working on fixing said problem with the neck and working-in the new Merge Block for Saucer Sep Goodness. I expect to be done with a first attempt for the new neck in about a day. Keep checking for new worlds if you're interested; i gotta upload it seperate because i lost the original to a corrupted file. Thankfully i got a ton of backups.

3. LoveThisGame

LoveThisGame Trainee Engineer

I Will be able to build an efficient Cargo Ship thanks to block merging =)
    Thanks guys !

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=265207420

4. Tufst1.1

Tufst1.1 Trainee Engineer

Is it possible to make a small to large ship connection so you can give small ships a stronger connection to the large ship?

5. Commander Rotal

Playing around with the Merger Block i gotta say... it works exactly as i wanted it to do, except in two ways:
    1.) i'd rather like an option to disable the automatic grid integration.
    and
    2.) in theory it works perfectly for docking; in practice it rips apart my ship because of all the bouncing (ESPECIALLY after decoupling). Needs a bit of work but the general concept is going to dramatically improve SE as a game. Had a though earlier: it's not just a fine piece of feature - it'll also help people with massive projects build their ships in parts in remote places and put them together afterwards. It's so much easier on the eyes (and my patience) to work on a section of my project with full FPS, knowing that it will just snap into place once i attach it to the main body, instead of having to deal with my 3 FPS on the entire thing. Won't help with the final product, but for the building part... it's glorious. Like mini-optimization.

6. Brenner

Brenner Junior Engineer

Fantastic update! Merger blocks will totally change the way I'm building ships, modular ships FTW! Also, I was happy to see even the conveyors connect with each other if built correctly.

Two problems though:

1) I get that visual problem with the white lines too
    2) Merger blocks often stick together even when I turn them off. The lights go out, yeah. But no amount of driving backwards or shaking around could separate them again. Even the welder on the part that should get disconnected continued to work. That was on a small ship.

7. marqs

marqs Trainee Engineer

You need to build new medbays after the update so it binds your player ID, Old ones dont work.

8. Leatherneck

Leatherneck Apprentice Engineer

Yeah, I tried that already. Still broken.

9. TechyBen

TechyBen Junior Engineer

I find corner blocks work nicely to provide clean finishes but also allow separation. ;)

10. Joeliosis

Joeliosis Trainee Engineer

Im excited about the possibilities of this block!

11. Commander Rotal

I thought so too. Turns out the Merger REALLY doesn't like blocks placed next to it. Gonna have to test tomorrow as i'm dead tired right now, but first tests show that the Merger needs some tweaking; docking and especially detaching damages the surrounding area. Ship looks worse after Seperation than the one time the Counselor crashed it into a planet.
    I wonder if doing the Saucer Sep in-flight would solve that - right now the problem seems to be that directly after decoupling we got two ships imediately grinding against each other.

Hm.....

12. TechyBen

TechyBen Junior Engineer

Ah, is that for the Enterprise with saucer?

For corridors/lifts, use 4 connector blocks to give you all 4 walls. Either 4 sides, or if using 4 corners, replace the sides with angled parts so only the connectors join.

You want a FLAT and vertical only separation and attachment. Basically, we are not getting any "nuts and bolts" made in space engineers. The bolt would "crash" into the nut, and bounce off the sides before it ever got into place. So just flat planes glued together for now.

If you ask, I'll make a quick demo of how to do a saucer like separation (current bugs withstanding :p ).

13. blkandwhtlion

blkandwhtlion Trainee Engineer

So basically, connectors make landing gear inferior now?

14. Commander Rotal

Thanks, but i'm good :) I'm still pondering how to do it. Currently i'm really more working on the neck for aestetic purposes, i was just testing the Merger in two lines to see how they work in a testfile. I've got a few ideas how to do it; best bet right now, i think, is going to be surrounding the Rim in Mergers. The magnetic clamps the "real" ship uses are currently too impractical... and ugly, considering any mechanism to retract them would at best be fragile and at worst not work at all. If push comes to show i'm just use a few struts and leave a one-block-trench empty, though that would look rather messy. Do not want.

15. TechyBen

TechyBen Junior Engineer

Yeah, that would work. Though if you want a nice white/shiny Enterprise hull look, I'd suggest putting the connectors 1 block in from the edge, and then angled blocks on the edge, but flat edge on the outside. That way you would get a perfect line up for docking. :)

You should not need too many connectors either (no idea if more is worse or better, but less can make it simpler).

Just remember, any 2 objects that can connect in build mode, will connect if next to each other docked.

16. Lo2k

Lo2k Trainee Engineer

Best fix ever is in this update : placing armor cube over armor cube is no more dependant to mesh geometry (aka no more flickering white cube while trying to target a girder) !!!

17. onmyflow

onmyflow Trainee Engineer

this already was since update 0.32

18. Shade

Shade Trainee Engineer

one thing I have found is when you place a merge block on a station, put a welder next to it, so when you "dock" if any DMG is done, when you "undock, the welder will fix it.

19. Commander Rotal

I'll just try both. On the one hand more would close it up better, but on the other hand less connection means less potential damage and there IS a slight, teeny tiny gap where the two sections disconnect on the model...

Yeah, and it's always nice to go and look for that ONE blocj that i overlooked inside a docking area the size of a football field. I really wish we could turn that off, but it's not a deal breaker. I just need to be more careful.

20. mhalpern

mhalpern Senior Engineer

Merge blocks are good for permanent/permanent connections with same size blocks, everything else, like connecting a ship to asteroid, a small ship to a large ship, or any situation where you don't want the inventory of a ship visible to what you are landing on, be it for security, ease of management or if you want to send it off quickly, landing gears may be better, if you are going to attach two things long term or for a function, use merge blocks.. basically use landing gears as landing gears (an anchoring surface between two separate objects that can readily be broken), use Merge blocks to make two things into one, temporarily or permanently and combine the power and control of the two.

Basically it gives us something better then landing gears to do what landing gears where never meant for, heavy duty ship to ship connections and the like

21. Fab

Fab Apprentice Engineer

oh jesus, 1 more week. factions needs to come soon. I'm tired of the npc ship shooting a missile at my cockpit and my own turrets obliterate me. also, need an "target powered moving targets" options for them.

22. Commander Rotal

This. Even this early the Merger is a god's send.

23. picklerok

picklerok Junior Engineer

Great, now I have to tear down my to welder and grinder ships and combine them into one... oh well. :p

24. Leatherneck

Leatherneck Apprentice Engineer

There's been some sort of Hot-Fix of 60.1 MB.

Change Log only shows fixes to White Lines. That seems a bit much, so maybe other things are fixed too?

EDIT: No Medbay fix in that patch either. :mad:

25. GDragon

GDragon Trainee Engineer

Please correct energy used by conveyors on small ship!

26. Ceetec

Ceetec Trainee Engineer

Is it just me or does these merge blocks open up a lot of possibilities for air locks and such if pressurized compartments are implemented :D love it, just love it. Great work devs!

27. Spoky

Spoky Trainee Engineer

Awesome. Last thing we need now about this merging block is the ability to connect/disconnect with a keyboard shortcut :)

28. kdalts

kdalts Trainee Engineer

Jezz... everything changes... delete all save games and start again:confused:

29. Parias

Parias Trainee Engineer

Yes? The game is in early alpha, content additions will be continual and constant. You might be able to continue with your existing saves but can't be promised it'll always work smoothly.

I don't understand - do you want them to just stop development?

30. mattryan72

mattryan72 Apprentice Engineer

Currently connectors only push out so won't work with welders, not if you want your storage and transfer sections on your main unit and not part of the detachable tools like the video.

It would be nice to grind away, swap tools then weld, all from the same drive unit rather than transferring items all the time.

Maybe in future updates there will be a two way linkage.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.