1. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

My ship designs look very... human

Discussion in 'General' started by MichaelC, Oct 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Ortikon

Ortikon Apprentice Engineer

People that tend to do more human work either do airplanes or boats depending on their perspective.
    I am a boats kind of guy. I live in a port city and so love the site of massive idle freighters mingling together on the horizon. I add a bit of asymmetry to them. I like to have hangars on one side with broadside torpedo tubes on the other. My current flagship has a freighter style wide command deck, but it wraps around one side of the ship as a sort of glass elevator look.
    My oldest habit is making a hallway down the middle of the ship. Once I started breaking down those walls and making the interior asymmetrical, the whole interior design became more interesting and less forced and repetitive.

2. aboredteen1

aboredteen1 Junior Engineer

my interiors end up usually looking like the lower decks and some of the upper of the nostromo, industrial.

3. GraphicsAndBeer

GraphicsAndBeer Apprentice Engineer

Yeah my ships looks like aircraft or battleships, like they should float.

I also build so max durability, super thick walls. Almost like armored subs.

4. aboredteen1

aboredteen1 Junior Engineer

I like subs though nice and compact

5. Samsonguy920

Samsonguy920 Apprentice Engineer

My small craft tend to resemble Vipers from Battlestar Galactica. The first large ship I built I had the design of the Klingon D-7 in mind. It is a rather nice shape, even though I foolishly put the large reactor on one side, throwing off my center of gravity. Something I plan to remedy with my next design.

6. Star Weaver

Star Weaver Apprentice Engineer

Most of my ships look like construction equipmet: tools on front, open seat on top.

7. Skeloton

Skeloton Master Engineer

While we're on the subject of what we build like, Im noticing a lack of towers and spires.

Like this. The "Front" is also the "Floor"
    [​IMG]

8. Infekted

Infekted Apprentice Engineer

I've built a couple of down = backwards/forward ships. They usually end up looking like skyscrapers :D

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2014
  9. xargo

xargo Trainee Engineer

One reason for the ship/plane tendency imo is that people need to walk on board somehow, sit in the chair, etc. It makes sense to have longer design to avoid obstacles. (I find it easier psychologically to maneuver around something that the tip of my ship passes safely rather than having super wide monster)

On the other hand I don't understand the command bridges of battle-cruisers sticking out asking for those rockets to come in.

10. kittle

kittle Senior Engineer

My ships tend to be boxes for functionality, or heavily influenced by tanks (flying brick?) or planes. Usually triangular like the stealth bomber.
    Or i will grab an NPC ship and mod it until its unrecognizable.

I also go for agile ships, so they have thrusters Everywhere, which complicates things when I try to make them look nice. Makes for some fun challenges

11. Cydramech

Cydramech Junior Engineer

I grew up hating asymmetrical designs. When I was into Legos, I'd tear a ship apart and build it differently just to make sure it was symmetrical. I never cared for non-symmetrical designs, and I still don't.

12. Communist Penguin

Communist Penguin Apprentice Engineer

To be fair, i don't recall human spacecraft being long and thin.

If anything most spacecraft like Apollo and Gemini are sort of square-ish with cone shaped capsules. And then you got soyuz....

13. suckinsyn

suckinsyn Trainee Engineer

This! I wanted to make symmetrical body for my ship and non-symmetrical cockpit/tower/something that would be on top of it, but ended up making while thing symmetrical anyway.

14. GotLag

GotLag Senior Engineer

Asymmetric ships are harder to design, and there is a practical gameplay considerations: a symmetric carrier will have a more balanced load of docked fighters, so is subject to less rotation. If you have a docking bay down only one side of your ship, unless you take great care to move the centre of mass to be in line with it (or make the carrier massive enough that it doesn't matter), then your ship will yaw (and probably pitch as well) when you thrust.

A symmetric ship also has some degree of redundancy built in: if you have one side of your ship trashed by accident or combat, you can probably still access the other side.

15. Pasta

Pasta Trainee Engineer

There is some function in the traditional form. For instance, on my main survival server, I made a replica of the Red October. The length made it an excellent rammer and the slightly eliptical hull shape helped protect my internal systems from even a broadside attack. The conning tower also gives turrets great visibility around my ship... So human design is still worth something in space.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2014
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.