1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

Respawn? Navigation?

Discussion in 'General' started by MechanizedIT, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. MechanizedIT

MechanizedIT Apprentice Engineer

When they do come out with survival, how do you imagine respawn should work? Shoud it be random? Near your bed as in Minecraft? Someway for the player to designate a respawn area? Based on some block like the medical room in SE? The queens chamber? The outhouse? Just spitballing.

On another note, how do you suppose one will navigate, when you build a massive castle, go on an adventure, gain some excellent loot, and then suddenly realize you are lost? With structural integrity, you won't be able to build nerd poles to the clouds to navigate by. You won't have beacons or antennas as in SE. Breadcrumbs? Roads perhaps, in the 4 cardinal direction out from your base? Or will we just be SOL, and have to suicide, and respawn back in our castle, without our loot?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2015
  2. Belthize

Belthize Apprentice Engineer

Respawn should be back where you died IMO at least initially. Further into game play I could see making a respawn point but when you first start with your bare hands that may be hard to do.

I'd vote for no magical satellite driven mapping functions. In SE there's crap all landmarks since the skybox is faked and draw distance is limited. There's just not enough near field objects to triangulate off of. In ME that shouldn't be an issue. There are plenty of landmarks to navigate off of.

Depending on how easy terrain manipulation is you can just leave modified ground breadcrumbs.

edit: yeah, respawning exactly where you died is not good. I was envisioning more of a respawn where you start kind of mechanism until you built a respawn point.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2015
  3. aron89

aron89 Trainee Engineer

Make a big fire on a hill, and go to the smoke

4. Wintersend

Wintersend Senior Engineer

I vote no for spawning where you died, because there is probably a good reason why you died there. Also, you could probably get away with something like Might and Magic had, if you have the cartography skill you create an automap just of where you've been, so if you haven't already walked somewhere, you wouldn't have it mapped. In this it could be an actual item that your in trouble if you lose or get stolen because you have to remap everything and it just automaps whatever's within say 10 feet of you that you can see.

5. EtherDragon

EtherDragon Trainee Engineer

Dying should send you back to somewhere safe, and the player should be allowed, but limited, on where they can set as their safe point.

As far as mapping goes, I agree - don't add an auto map. People can make their own hand-drawn 2-d maps if they want.

6. ManoW

ManoW Apprentice Engineer

How about first block respawn or a flag? If you wish to spawn elseware then you delete the original and the next block/flag you place is your new spawn... Simple, may confuse some, unless you get prompt.

7. Ascaerdoth

Ascaerdoth Trainee Engineer

What about something like a graveyard? designate a plot of land for graves; every time you die, you respawn at something like a church. After you leave, you could go to your latest grave and get a portion of your old supplies, or none, depending on your settings.

8. waterlimon

waterlimon Senior Engineer

I really like the concept of bodies never disappearing from the game, so you have to bury them or otherwise get rid of them.

For respawn, I would have two things:
    1. Make dying really really difficult. 95% of 'deaths' should actually be just getting knocked out or badly wounded and youll be fine after a while. Life is feudal had something like this (this allows having attachment to your character while avoiding magical respawning after death)
    2. When you die you should get a new character that either is some NPC working for you, OR arrives along some trade route or whatever. Character progression should be limited to make death not too bad, but should exist to make death feel bad so you avoid it.

9. K^2

K^2 Apprentice Engineer

Random walk in 2 dimensions is guaranteed to bring you back to where you started from eventually. Just keep trying.

Seriously, though, a compass and a map should be some of the things you can create. For early on, a "beacon" fire on a hill should be sufficient. Just don't wander off too far.

10. DDP-158

DDP-158 Master Engineer

Nerd poles is for the unimaginative. If I buy this game I'm going to do what I did in MC; build the Dwarven under-highway with land towers positioned where ever my backpack gets full. Each tower comes with a torch light tower, some beds, a kitchen and storage area. Our greatest feat was having 7 locations interconnected with this system, so one could choose to safely travel underground or follow the light towers to each destination. The tunnel was so long that the 2 farthest ends took over 5 minutes to travel. Everybody on the server had their own place but they were all connected to the highway with my castle being the main hub.

11. muffins

muffins Trainee Engineer

You should have to dig a fresh, unused grave. If you die you respawn at the grave, only this time the grave has signs of being used and something dug itself out of it.

12. Evito

Evito Apprentice Engineer

Rather ingenious hah

13. Prometheus Unbound

Prometheus Unbound Trainee Engineer

LIke the hand drawn map idea. Would add to the feel of the game. I think there should be an option, however, for some kind of waypoint system. For when we are all feeling lazy :p
    Or perhaps the ability to build beacons (Fire beacons) That can be seen for miles. This is all just speculation for the moment, anyway. If i remember right, there is only going to be a small map at first.

14. Blaxpear

Blaxpear Trainee Engineer

2D map and a compass.. perfect;) Have you guys played miasmata? That game has a realistic mapping at its best. Thats the most realistic map i have ever seen, but it was not very fun to have to map your location every 30 meters. But I could definitely bare with it, because it would give the maps value.. maby you could sell them in multiplayer if they get timeconsuming enough.

15. waterlimon

waterlimon Senior Engineer

I say just make sure the game has plenty of landmarks so you dont really need maps, and if you do, they are easy to make.

16. K^2

K^2 Apprentice Engineer

0_o It's always the quiet ones.

17. Erik_3E

Erik_3E Trainee Engineer

I would like to see a system that lets you have Ai characters or multiple player characters where the player can pick who he want to play whenever he wants and if all the players characters are dead he would loos everything he built. Ais would also help you defend when the player is offline.

18. MechanizedIT

I like that idea.

19. X__INFINITY__X

X__INFINITY__X Apprentice Engineer

What I am assuming is that Keen Will make the equivalent of the items from SE to ME

SE ME

Antenna - Map

Beacons - Fire beacons
    [​IMG]

Medical station - Hospital Bed?

Turret - Archer tower

Missile launcher - Catapult tower

Just my ideal at what they will do

20. Steelpanther

Steelpanther Apprentice Engineer

There will be some form of med station. Even if it is just a bed such as MC.

21. muffins

muffins Trainee Engineer

I really like that idea too.

22. MechanizedIT

Fire beacons seem practical, would consume wood, so would add another use for wood besides building.

23. X__INFINITY__X

X__INFINITY__X Apprentice Engineer

Yeah that's what I was thinking

24. dovafin

dovafin Trainee Engineer

with auto maps i think it would be cool if it would map every think in your view but only 100 meters around you would be clear on a map everything else around you on the map would have problems or be blurry or incorrect. another feature would be if you are not in the area the map wont update the spot and it would only be mapped if you were holding the map

25. Wintersend

I think it shouldn't even go that far given what medieval people were capable of. LoS and no further, if you're in a dense wood or fog, or worse both, you may not be able to see 30 feet, much less 100m. It should also function as a LoS cone so you can't map anything behind you if you're walking backwards for some reason.

26. Erik_3E

Erik_3E Trainee Engineer

[SIZE= 13.1428575515747px]
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 13.1428575515747px]No just no, no magically automated weapons, that is not medieval it is fiction. It would look retarded to have a large crossbow mounted on a tower and a catapult tower would be even more [/SIZE]ridiculous[SIZE= 13.1428575515747px].[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 13.1428575515747px]Now about the medbay as a hospital bed well I would rather see it as a normal bed. The beds could also be something needed if you want AIs to help defend your castle. One bed would be needed for each Ai. Other than a bad the Ai would need [/SIZE]enough[SIZE= 13.1428575515747px] food to survive so farming and hunting would be a big importance on the game, this gives us some [/SIZE]engineering[SIZE= 13.1428575515747px] fun with traps for wild animals and farming [/SIZE]engineering[SIZE= 13.1428575515747px] maybe someone figures out a way to make crops grow faster or more crops grow on your [/SIZE]field[SIZE= 13.1428575515747px] by using a [/SIZE]certain[SIZE= 13.1428575515747px] [/SIZE]technique[SIZE= 13.1428575515747px].[/SIZE]

Also on the antenna thing I don't think we should have an antenna similar thing. Now if you want to build a fire tower signal with a big light then that should be possible but if you want to navigate you would have to navigate by the terrain or buildings and as in real life if you get lost you have to figure out how to find your way back to civilization. Build a road so you wont get lost etc.

27. Wintersend

I think by archer tower and catapult tower, he meant actually building a catapult on top of a tower and manning it with npcs and archer towers giving npc bows and arrows and sticking them on top of a tower with orders to shoot any enemy who comes within range.

28. Erik_3E

Erik_3E Trainee Engineer

Now that I could accept. it is the way he said it tho comparing it to SE and the gatling and missile turret god no if that happens.

29. Wintersend

Yeah, poorly worded, but I think he was drawing equivalent parallels like putting an archer in tower with orders to shoot enemies on sight would be similar to putting a Gatling turret on your ship. I may be wrong and he actually meant that it was a Gatling turret but if that was the case then know. I know many people think this, but I like my idea better.

30. Lexator

Lexator Trainee Engineer

Tree markings....? Scratch an arrow into a Tree's bark.....or hey Medieval people had maps... so a map that generates the terrain that you have traveled over and seen or had on your screen? or maybe you could have a blank map and have to hold it in your hand and look at a area for a certain amount of time while the map generates? moving while it generates will mess up the map?

mmmm...

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.