1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

Please don't make walking in this game as garbage as it is in space engineers

Discussion in 'General' started by Kittyonfyre, Jan 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Kittyonfyre

Kittyonfyre Trainee Engineer

Let me preface this by saying that if this is my problem and not SE's, let me know.

In sapce engineers, walking is horrendous. You press W, there's a massive delay, then you let go and your guy keeps walking for another 5 feet. Why can't it just be press W, go forward, release W, stop? It's so janky and horrible feeling that I always fly around with my jetpack. But obviously, there is no jetpack - this is a thousand years before space engineers so this will be a much bigger problem.

2. Wintersend

Wintersend Senior Engineer

I think this may be a just you problem, I notice a bit of a delay at times, but the only time I personally experience this to any noticeable degree is when I notice other things lagging anyway.

3. DDP-158

DDP-158 Master Engineer

Yeah I have to say that's on your end.

4. Ingenio Ingens

Ingenio Ingens Apprentice Engineer

Sounds like lag on your part. I've only rarely got that problem and it's always when I have a high CPU spike.

5. Conranos

Conranos Trainee Engineer

I have to agree largely with the other replies here. It is likely mostly on your end. However you do see glitching like this on fast moving ships. However in this new game this will not be an issue. Though I would like to see improvements in the "feel" of the character. However I do not doubt the developers already have that in the works.

6. Prometheus Unbound

Prometheus Unbound Trainee Engineer

Sounds like lag. Never had that issue.
    My biggest annoyance with the game was that the 'walk' was more of a jog. I would like to be able to walk slowly. Without crouching :p

7. Steelpanther

Steelpanther Apprentice Engineer

Sounds like your not running SE on computer that can handle it.

8. vasvadum

vasvadum Apprentice Engineer

My laptop is capable of handling a hell of a lot, and I have this same problem sometimes in SE. I just don't think it was done with the right kind of engine.

9. intoxination

intoxination Trainee Engineer

That's actually something I see in all kinds of games, even console ones. Things like walking around are one of the first things put into a game. Then they start adding in all the other features, that start to eat up system resources. That then gets you to the point that the original items are starting to suffer. The nice thing about SE is that it is still in development, and will most likely be addressed before a final release. That's no where near as aggravating as when you pre-order that new PS3 game, then have similar problems and have to wait for a patch to come out. That's why I stopped doing pre-order on console stuff too.

10. Kittyonfyre

I'm running the game at 1080p and 60 fps. It's not a lag prpblem.

It is an input lag prpblem, but the thing is, it only ever happens with walking. Ship input and everything is perfect. But walking is just awful.

11. Thedevistator

Thedevistator Senior Engineer

The only time I have that problem is when I alt tab back into the game and I start walking just after other than that it doesn't happen.

My guess is something in your game is not responding right and I can't tell your problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2015
  12. Skeloton

Skeloton Master Engineer

Whats your simspeed at? simspeed affects just about everything.

Edit: If there is a problem they may have already fixed it or will fix it. As there wont be a jetpack always available in ME.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2015
  13. Martinineter

Martinineter Senior Engineer

As Skeleton also stated, it probably is a lag problem, there is more to lagg than FPS alone. My fps never dips below 60, but I still have laggs, that is because my simulation speed is below 1.00. This speed is how fast your pc calculates pretty much everything in the game, including walking. Just check your simulation speed and report it back here (shift+f11 I believe, top left corner)

14. Skeloton

Skeloton Master Engineer

If its input lag then there'll be a delay between pressing a key and the action, but this can be affected by peripherals and the monitor as well. On PS3 with some TV I used to get some horrible input lag.

Or if its a continuous slow-mo like lag then its SimSpeed.

15. Kittyonfyre

That PS3 input lag is a problem with a lot of TVs. My peripherals are fine because as I said it's nothing but movement. I don't get slo-mo like lag either.

I'll check Sim speed later.

16. Kittyonfyre

hm so the problem isn't as bad as i remember it

but still ind of janky feeling

17. K^2

K^2 Apprentice Engineer

Big part of why walking was problematic in SE is because you had to routinely walk on moving objects. Even that has greatly improved, but given that majority of grids in ME will be static most of the time, I don't think it will be a problem at all.

18. Evito

Evito Apprentice Engineer

Turn off framerate smoothing and vsync. Not all systems handle those with grace. Do tell us of that helps.

19. Lexator

Lexator Trainee Engineer

I would say get a faster computer, or get rid of your ps2 keyboard and get USB , or get a faster internet connection (that is if you experience this online or in multiplayer) . I have no problem with walking other than in multiplayer or if I have a ton of spotlights on

20. LostElement

LostElement Apprentice Engineer

I don't experience a delay in walking, it must be on your end.

21. Zh3sh1re

Zh3sh1re Trainee Engineer

You can't expect Source-engine smooth walking in a giant game like this. It just never happens. All of these games set in a big universe with a lot of creativeness to it has icky walking. Minecraft is the one exception to this, but games like Fallout and Skyrim are sufferers of this problem.

22. eldarstorm

eldarstorm Junior Engineer

Had this same problem as my server filled up with cargo ships that were not despawning.

One thing I do hope they do is allow strafing while moving forward. Have noticed you cant do this in SE while running around.

23. Mechanic-Meow

Mechanic-Meow Trainee Engineer

Space engineers isn't dodgy your computer is

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.