1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

Large Ship mouse control suggestion

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Natebluehooves, Nov 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Natebluehooves

Natebluehooves Trainee Engineer

So last night i decided to try and fly a large ship with a slow turn speed using wasd/mouse/qe. this was definitely an exercise in frustration, as i kept having to repeatedly run the mouse from one side of the pad to the other to get the ship to even barely begin to turn. my suggestion is pretty simple, why not just have a little crosshairs on your screen, and when you turn your mouse, the ship moves at it's own pace to center itself to that direction. this would end a lot of frustration for people not wanting to use full keyboard or a gamepad for this.

your thoughts?

2. Kamoba

Kamoba Senior Engineer

I don't use my mouse when using big ships...

But I can see where you're coming from, and it's not a bad idea....

3. WarWyvern

WarWyvern Trainee Engineer

I believe the devs have joystick and Xbox gamepad compatibility planned, so this will eventually be addressed. In the meantime, why not add more gyros? I find that about six-to-eight per million kilograms (total mass) is a good minimum to point the beast where I want it to go.

As for your suggestion; I believe that that would be a fine option for larger ships with poor handling, but with analog controls and a more spritely ship, I could see this delay becoming a bit tedious to manage. I would support it as a game option.

4. Natebluehooves

Thanks for the feedback guys, i fully understand that it's more practical to have more gyros in a ship, and while i find the eventual joystick/gamepad suggestion helpful, i really do hope mouse/keyboard is fully implemented in this way later. i have a x360 usb pad, but this is one of those games i'dr ather just play with my native mouse/keyboard. as for the gryro spam, i kinda like the idea of ships being slow if they're that large, and when power limitations come into play later, that won't really be an option. anyways just my 2 cents. hope the devs get ahold of this :D

5. Gentry

Gentry Senior Engineer

I kind of agree.

Some kind of mouse movement like in War Thunder or even that terrible X rebirth would be nice.

6. Natebluehooves

i do hope this gets noticed... i know in survival most players won't notice this because large ships are nearly impossible to make, but it would still be a lovely change.

7. DocTanner

DocTanner Junior Engineer

The only time I use the maximum setting on my R.A.T. is for piloting my "station". So, I can see why it would be frustrating. In those cases though, why not use the arrow keys? Personally, I would hate the control system you describe.

That said, there's nothing wrong with extra control options. As long as it's an option, and not a full change, I think it'd be good.

8. Vermillion

Vermillion Senior Engineer

It's a bit unusual, but i've noticed that if you use the Arrow Keys to turn, it's considerably faster than using the mouse. I use the arrow keys quite often for turning as it keeps me on a level plane, while if you using the mouse to turn you tend to roll.
    You can also do some funky maneuvers with small ships using the arrow keys with the WASDQE keys.

9. Sims_doc

Sims_doc Junior Engineer

Yeah, I notice the samething i'm a little unsure why but even then in a fighter the mouse isn't at a disadvantage

10. Natebluehooves

agreed on making it an option. the current setup is a lot more responsive in small ships.

11. mad-rooky

mad-rooky Trainee Engineer

...or that great X3 TC... :D
    I like the control of the last X games befor X Stillbirth. I would love it if several options were available to control the ships.
    To set this according to ship type would be the point on the i!
    For example, direct control for fighters and cursor based for large ships.
    As I like to say: "have" is better than "need". :thumb:

12. Natebluehooves

looks like this will not likely get any dev love... sad honestly, as i find having very slow moving large ships is very preferable if you have a lot of people walking on the inside. it seems to cause less of an issue when it comes to movement inside the ship.

... also slow moving ships feel bigger/cooler >u>

13. fabiozaza

fabiozaza Apprentice Engineer

Just use the arrow keys for big/slow ships... much easier than moving the mouse back and forth

14. AutoMcD

AutoMcD Senior Engineer

+1
    I like it. almost like the mouse is making a "aiming waypoint" that the ship tries to follow

15. blizzerd

blizzerd Apprentice Engineer

Why not treat every ship this way, although DEFINATELY for large ships.

16. bladedpenguin

bladedpenguin Apprentice Engineer

I think it should be an individual ship thing, configurable in the cockpit control panel. It can be frustrating, when you don't need the ship to turn quickly, but when you do need it to turn, you have to wrestle the mouse.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.