1. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

Custom Night Mode (Manually Unlocked)

Discussion in 'General' started by Xocliw, Mar 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Xocliw

Xocliw Public Relations Staff

NIGHT MODE (MANUALLY UNLOCKED)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99xs3ACXCgQ

After looking around in the games files, I discovered that I could create a slightly odd night mode for the game. I found a hidden night skybox which I replaced the default one with and then I had to edit some values in another file to remove the Sun. The result of this turned out to be pretty interesting...
    <div>
    It doesn't look the same as the night mode shown in the official announcement trailer, as I wasn't sure what else I had to change. The version I created isn't very good for actual gameplay as shadows are far too dark and light sources don't emit properly but for funky screenshots and some film it could be useful.

I'm really looking forward to see what different weather we will get in the future as when combined with a full day-night cycle, could really change the atmosphere of a scene/battle and give more diverse gameplay.

WORKSHOP LINKS:
    Valengarde by SpecterCody - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=391502170
    Helm's Deep by Timathius - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=394806372

</div>

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2015
  2. Wintersend

Wintersend Senior Engineer

I think it would be cool with the day/night cycle if it became automatic as well. I can see people waiting until night to spring an ambush, waiting for the sun to move such that it blinds the opponent before starting an attack, sneaking out under the cover of night to sabotage enemy siege equipment. It has many possibilities even just with day night. The more weather, the more possibilities open up.

3. Namdoolb

Namdoolb Apprentice Engineer

I think that when there's a survival mode then the day/night cycle might become a big part of that.

I could quite easily see an "exposure" mechanic that wants you to stay sheltered at night or take damage from the elements. I could also quite easily see the addition of nocturnal predators (probably wolves) which would roam the map, avoiding player built structures but attacking players where they find them.

4. TheHengeProphet

TheHengeProphet Trainee Engineer

Could you perhaps give instructions on how to do this? Particularly for those of us who wish to take pictures of their fortresses, towns, and castles in this rather haunting dark view?

Amazing discovery, by the by!

I admit I'm being lazy by asking this, sorry.

5. Ninjaturkey

Ninjaturkey Apprentice Engineer

I would like to see very long days and moderatly long nights, in some games the cycle feels like rushing (eg, don't starve) and it would be anooying to not have proper time to build siege engines during the day.

6. maagz

maagz Trainee Engineer

:thumb:

So much YES! I cringed when I saw another post suggesting zombies but this suggestion made me overly giggly and I think it would actually fit the game setting very well! I hope the devs see this.

7. Xocliw

Xocliw Public Relations Staff

Many cool ideas here :).

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.