1. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

3 pages deep of spam / and do not reply to them / there should be a spam alert report function

Discussion in 'General' started by Wizlawz, Jun 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Wizlawz

Wizlawz Master Engineer

because in the "old" forums not replying was one of the ways of combating them, something about replying to them "allowed" them...somehow, not sure how that worked but was highly suggested to NOT reply to them.

2. Ouchtime

Ouchtime Apprentice Engineer

You can always ignore the spammer. Then all its posts get hidden so at least you can find legit posts

3. dominoscraft

dominoscraft Trainee Engineer

i was just sat watching the pages fill up for a while and was hoping that they kept replying to me in one post instead of making as many as they did

4. Valiance

Valiance Apprentice Engineer

You only need to report one of the posts to alert moderators. There isn't much else to do other than ignoring them.

This probably also should've been posted in off-topic, but yeah I have noticed the huge bombardment of spam tonight.

5. mexmer

mexmer Senior Engineer

you know, there is "report" under each post?
    it does, what it says.

now just need to wait for mod, to look at "reports", and put offender into spam tray

6. Knsgf

Knsgf Junior Engineer

You can also click on a username to go to spammer's profile and then "Report user".

7. Spets

Spets Master Engineer

yeah I saw that, it was an euphoric rage spamming
    and yes, you can click in the nickname and then hit Ignore, also report to admin

8. DDP-158

DDP-158 Master Engineer

We also don't need to make a spam thread about spam threads every night they show up. The mods are very well aware of the issue.

9. Wizlawz

Wizlawz Master Engineer

indeed.

i also was not going to report every single spam thread 3 pages deep.

this thread was because i saw someone replied to one (or a couple) of them

and the ignore, you have to ignore every thread individual yes?

10. Killacyte

Killacyte Senior Engineer

No, you can ignore a user.

11. DarkGhost

DarkGhost Junior Engineer

Just report spam and it will be dealt in the xx next minutes. We ain't bots, so can't be online 24/7 unfortunately.
    About spam protection, well ... @DrVagax ? That's for ya ! :3

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tony Hughes

Tony Hughes Junior Engineer

What I don't really understand is what they're actually getting out of spamming like that. It's not like there's anything on the messages that I could click on or use to get to whatever they're trying to advertise. It just seems so stupid and pointless.

• Like Like x 1
  13. LFCavalcanti

LFCavalcanti Senior Engineer

Well, again 2 pages of SPAM.

What Forum engine are you using? There must be plugins to control account creation... like CAPTCHA and E-mail confirmation, so on...

When I used vBulletin in an IT Forum I was moderator, we implementes a 3 step account confirmation: CAPTCHA, Random Question, E-mail link confirmation with another captcha.

14. cedi

cedi Apprentice Engineer

It's more like seven pages.

15. Yossarian

Yossarian Trainee Engineer

is there a way to log the ip's and take legal action?

16. Tony Hughes

Tony Hughes Junior Engineer

In truth, I don't think the number of steps to get an account (or using Captcha) would really matter. I'd always kind of assumed it was fully automated, in which case captcha would help, but it's not.

I was surprised a few months back to realise just how many spam services utilise human labour to get the accounts setup and to by-pass captcha. There are literally thousands of people around the world, doing nothing but looking at one captcha image after another and sending back the results to a central administration, who then does the actual spamming.

All that collective effort, and they don't even bother to make it clickable. What a waste of life.

I demand quality spam!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Xocliw

Xocliw Public Relations Staff

Should be sorted now :). That was a lot of spam indeed...

18. DDP-158

DDP-158 Master Engineer

Just before you cleared it I put the names on ignore and thought I broke the forum. Turns out that while you can't see the thread, the forum still counts it being there. That I kind of knew because of a few others I have on ignore. But because of the spam page 1 had 4 topics I could look at, page 2 had none, page 3 had 1, page 4 had 3, and page 5 was normal.

19. Spets

Spets Master Engineer

Captcha may not work because if you remember a few days ago, there was a bot that actually responded to my comment :creepy:

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.