1. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

Xocliw's Planet Hype Videos (3 In Total)

Discussion in 'General' started by Xocliw, Jun 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Xocliw

Xocliw Public Relations Staff

PLANET HYPE: ORBITING MECHANICS

In this video, I talk about orbital mechanics and whether we will ever see them in Space Engineers. It could create some pretty interesting scenarios with planets and give us more things to experiment with. The footage in the video is of another planetary prototype created by DuneD.

I only ever got to play with this prototype once, but luckily I thought to take some basic footage at the time. Unfortunately, this meant that I was unable to record any more for this video meaning it ended up being very similar throughout. But hopefully people will still find it interesting! Also, this is probably the last planet hype video that I will do due to all of DuneD's other prototypes being too outdated to record with but I hope that you have enjoyed this trio of videos!

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    PLANET HYPE: GAS GIANTS

This video looks at another one of DuneD's amazing planetary prototypes. This one features Saturn and five of its moons each with a different atmosphere colour. Personally, I would love to see gas giants (along with other wonders/dangers of space) in Space Engineers at some point. Why? Because they look incredible...

Steam Workshop Link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=424424141

The map feels like you are playing on a miniaturized scale with both Saturn and it's moons being a lot smaller than ideal but they still look great and I had a lot of fun with them. The moons used to feature natural gravity but I believe that something was broken by a recent update.

Although the developers haven't said that there will be gas giants, I am still hoping that there could be in the future. I'm sure they're feasible if the right method is used.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    PLANET HYPE: UNKNOWN WORLDS

In this video, I look at an amazing planet map created by DuneD and talk about what I would like to see on official planets in the future. It's a very densely vegetated map consisting of forests, some mountains, lakes and an abandoned civilisation...

He actually created this map several months ago when he was experimenting with ideas for planets before the developers themselves officially announced that they had started working on them. But due to this prototype never getting finished and me being absent for a lengthy period I never got round to showcasing it until now.

Although it looks spherical in shape from orbit, once you enter the atmosphere of the planet, you discover that it's just made of a circular plate with everything build on top (like StarMade). It's not realistic but this map was made to experiment with a planet's surface. Also, it's worth pointing out that the map is significantly lighter in-game compared to how the video shows it. A combination of things including YouTube's compression/encoding system reduced the quality greatly.

With the hype for planets growing, I thought that this was a great video for me to make my comeback!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    • Like Like x 8
  2. EvilDylan

EvilDylan Apprentice Engineer

Bit confused, actually... he also gave you a mod for the water and trees? Somewhat interested in how that worked...

3. tharkus

tharkus Junior Engineer

Very interesting ! , welcome back Xocliw

4. Spets

Spets Master Engineer

wow the city from the distant look amazing. also that red terrain and the dense vegetation, it reminds me and old vietnam map in Arma2 :p

5. Xocliw

Well maybe DuneD could tell you about it in more detail if he sees this post :D. The water and trees are not in the g-menu.

Thanks a lot! Good to be back :).

6. DuneD

DuneD Junior Engineer

Yes, of course :)

The trees were generators with the model swapped so they looked like trees, the water was only a non-collidable big cube with high specular and color blue, the effect inside the water is done by editting the video. It was only 1 mod, with 1 savegame, an editted savegame, to create an scenario that felt like a planet surface.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Xocliw

I know right Spets, its crazy cool :D. And yes, it does have a slight Vietnam vibe to it. Just imagine that city if it had more detail/interiors...

Thanks for the info Dune :).

8. Xocliw

New planet hype video is up! :pbjt:

9. Xocliw

First post updated as another new video is up!

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.