1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

Please make space engineers a macbook game

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Magnus_03, Nov 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Magnus_03

Magnus_03 Trainee Engineer

If it is a possibility please make it a macbook game.

I think that it is kind of stupid when people make great computer games, to just close off to the people with macbooks. I know that a macbook don't have the power to run ALL games, but if a macbook CAN run the game, then why don't make it?

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Natebluehooves

Natebluehooves Trainee Engineer

developing for mac may be something that takes a lot of development time and might not be worth it. I know this isn't the answer you want to hear, but perhaps consider installing windows 7 in bootcamp and using that instead? this might be a good move for you in general, as it would make your list of compatible games much larger.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Azzanine

Azzanine Apprentice Engineer

Which mac book? and would making it work for macOS suffice?

4. Braxbro

Braxbro Junior Engineer

Making it work for Mac as an operating system would do, but the MacBook cannot handle this game. It just can't. The Mac Mini can't either, and it's a dedicated desktop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Azzanine

It depends what model it is unless you mean the latest macbook can't handle it. Also seeing though traditionally Apple products either prevent you from upgrading components or make if difficult. Getting a compatible GPU might be a pain for DX11 related malarkey.

6. Harrekin

Harrekin Master Engineer

Why do people still buy Macs?

You could build a mid to high end gaming PC for the same price (possibly even less) that'd destroy the Macs performance in every way.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MaxTheManiac

MaxTheManiac Apprentice Engineer

because mac's are "easier" to use they look "nicer" and branding...
    Idk i make fun of my brother for getting a mac as it is nowhere near as useful or good as my laptop and it costs more if i can remember correctly

• Like Like x 1
  8. SenorZorros

SenorZorros Master Engineer

let's not bash mac's. we don't want this thread to be locked.

now on macbooks, I have no idea what their specs are so I can't really say anything about it. however the game is very much built on a microsoft framework using c# and directx which would make porting quite difficult. furthermore the consumer base on mac is rather limited which may result in a port not being viable from an economic point of view.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. MaxTheManiac

But mac bashing is so easy though ;) , all jokes aside its a question of how big the consumer base on mac would be (which i reckon would be less than the windows one but there would still be a bunch of people) and how much money/hours it would take reworking the game into a mac version and then updating both versions of the game each time they add something new.

Which i don't think is worth it or economically viable. Maybe once the game has been fully or at least nearly finished it is something to think about but at this time I'd probably would not be worth it at all (sorry mac users)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  10. Harrekin

Harrekin Master Engineer

According to Steam it's < 3%...

You know why?

Cos gamers buy PCs...

• Like Like x 1
  11. MaxTheManiac

:woot: (psst i thought we were gonna stop bashing macs)

12. Harrekin

Harrekin Master Engineer

If I had a chance I'd take a bat and smash the whole orchard...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. MaxTheManiac

Lets just napalm it like we did the sabiroids

14. Harrekin

Harrekin Master Engineer

All joking aside tho, alot of people don't know how a Mac compares to a PC cost/value/performance wise.

If this thread saves even one person from falling into the Apple Money Trap then I'd consider it a positive thing.

• Like Like x 1
  15. MaxTheManiac

Yup my brother did and he regrets it...

• Like Like x 1
  16. SenorZorros

SenorZorros Master Engineer

aaaand we're getting locked...

17. MaxTheManiac

Naahhhh hahahahha, i did say something constructive up there so thats something...

18. Mash

Mash Trainee Engineer

Linux first :p -> Dedicated servers

19. Ronin1973

Ronin1973 Master Engineer

For an additional share of 3% that requires coding and testing for a completely different platform for every release, even after porting the game over to Mac. So using the 1,000,000 units sold figure that's 30,000 copies at best. So that's $600,000 US to port the game and keep the Mac version updated and debugged. You might get 1% of players on Mac realistically.

In a game that's still alpha it's too early to even consider doing a port over to Mac since the game is still in constant flux. I know they intend (at least at one point) to port the game over to the XBox platform. That hasn't even happened yet. You might see a Mac version in two years if you're lucky.

20. Malware

Malware Master Engineer

Porting to XBox One is relatively easy though, it's a Microsoft platform. There are indications out there that XBox One might be getting C# support. I might wager on that being one of the things Keen are waiting for...?

There are also indications that Microsoft are planning to release a .Net runtime for Linux and Mac, though, so never say never. Although I believe Havok is native, not .NET. I don't know if it's available for other platforms...

NB: I'm saying indications. As far as I'm concerned these are rumors, nothing else.

21. Azzanine

Plus youd probably have to operate through the ap store. Apple actually make "decent" computers but it's their proprietary bullshit I disagree with. Also how they restrict your hardware choices to what's in the box.
    I'd say Apple users are also smarmy bastards but if I am being honest we "PC" users can be just as bad if not worse.
    The elitism can be unbearable sometimes, only a bit less smug then Linux users.

• Late Late x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.