1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

Does AdRev Publishing own Space Engineer's music?

Discussion in 'General' started by Beeskee, Nov 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Beeskee

Beeskee Trainee Engineer

AdRev Publishing is claiming copyright on some of my Space Engineers let's play videos. They say some of the music in the game is owned by them, specifically: "Bubbles-UPPM"

Is this accurate? Do they own the copyright to some of the Space Engineers music? I thought it was all done in-house.

I tried searching for the various keywords but I didn't find anything useful, either here or on Google.

---
    Edit:

I got a message that the dispute wasn't reviewed within 30 days, so the copyright claim on the video was released. - I'm guessing someone else disputed this already as the video hasn't even been published for 30 days.

For anyone else experiencing this issue:

Symptom:

On the Youtube Creator Studio, under Video Manager, click Videos

You will see a link to the right of each video's Edit Button, if there is a copyright claim.

What this means: They can insert ads into your videos, even ad-free ones, and receive your ad revenue for that video if you have enabled Monetization (ads in videos).

FIX:

I submitted it as "I have a license or written permission from the proper rights holder to use this material."

With the description as:

"The in game music is owned by Keen Software House. Keen Software House's Video Policy is written permission to use this content: https://www.keenswh.com/press.html - Keen Software House retains all ownership and rights of its produced content."

You may copy and paste that text for use in your own disputes.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 4
  2. Xakthos

Xakthos Apprentice Engineer

I'd file a counter against it stating that it is the in game music owned by Keen software house. Sounds like some detection program gone bad.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Beeskee

Beeskee Trainee Engineer

Just making sure it wasn't some alternate name, or third party music provider. :D Thanks!

If a dev happens to see this I'd appreciate a confirmation.

Edit:

I don't even get the option to report it as a false-positive. I'm not sure which of these I should select:

I believe this copyright claim is not valid because:
    I own the CD / DVD or bought the song online.
    I'm not selling the video or making any money from it.
    I gave credit in the video.
    The video is my original content and I own all of the rights to it.
    I have a license or written permission from the proper rights holder to use this material.
    My use of the content meets the legal requirements for fair use or fair dealing under applicable copyright laws.
    The content is in the public domain or is not eligible for copyright protection.

--

possibly the written permission one? I found this: https://www.keenswh.com/press.html - "VIDEO POLICY" covers it.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  4. plaYer2k

plaYer2k Master Engineer

I guess when there is an actual copy-right claim against your video which only contains ingame music, you sure need clarification from keen.
    Hopefully highlighting some of the most active devs in this forum will give you the needed attention to conform one or another @Xocliw @Drui @Ondrej.Petrzilka @George.Mamakos

So lets hope it is a false-positive.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Beeskee

Beeskee Trainee Engineer

Thank you, I appreciate it. I'll hold off on sending anything in yet.

6. BardTale

BardTale Apprentice Engineer

I've heard there is a lot of copy right trolls on youtube right now doing things like this. This could very well be a case of that.

7. Beeskee

Beeskee Trainee Engineer

Accidents happen, I don't think this was malicious, but it does mean they get to show ads in my videos. :p :D I'm all for allowing the proper copyright holder to make ad revenue. I don't think Adrev Publishing is the correct copyright holder though. :D

I'm not monetizing my channel, for the folks who do make a living off of that it would mean less ad money for them too.

8. BardTale

9. Beeskee

Beeskee Trainee Engineer

Thanks, that's good info. I can reference this thread in the report, hopefully a dev spots this. :D

Edit for clarification: They didn't shut the video down or remove the sound, just claimed copyright and got to insert their ads.

10. plaYer2k

plaYer2k Master Engineer

Yeah people are quick to judge sometimes.

From what i gathered AdRev is a legit representator. They do not hold the copyrights themself but merely represent them.
    So they feel rather similar to our GEMA just that the GEMA is an official institution that is enforced to act like it does by law and AdRev is one of fastest growing companies people use to finally get some money for their work.

So no it does not appear to be a "copyrigh troll" but actually a serious business.
    But who am i to judge youtube videos. We all know where to get our latest informations about HAARP, Project Bluebeam, Planet X, Hollow Earth, Earth is in fact growing, Reptilian molemen from mars with cool sunglasses and alike.

11. Beeskee

Beeskee Trainee Engineer

I was hoping someone official would spot this and comment. (after I took a nap, I mean, I do appreciate the comment plaYer2k)

This is the text I plan to use for the dispute comment. If anyone official has any feedback, let me know, I'll send this in soon:

"The in game music is owned by Keen Software House. Keen Software House's Video Policy is written permission to use this content: https://www.keenswh.com/press.html - Keen Software House retains all ownership and rights of its produced content."

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  12. Beeskee

Beeskee Trainee Engineer

I got a message that the dispute wasn't reviewed within 30 days, so the copyright claim on the video was released. - I'm guessing someone else disputed this already as the video hasn't even been published for 30 days.

For anyone else experiencing this issue:

Symptom:

On the Youtube Creator Studio, under Video Manager, click Videos

You will see a link to the right of each video's Edit Button, if there is a copyright claim.

What this means: They can insert ads into your videos, even ad-free ones, and receive your ad revenue for that video if you have enabled Monetization (ads in videos).

FIX:

I submitted it as "I have a license or written permission from the proper rights holder to use this material."

With the description as:

You may copy and paste that text for use in your own disputes.

• Like Like x 2
  13. BardTale

Glad it all got sorted out. Although, I do think it's rather shady that the company in question will file such a dispute to get their ads inserted onto a video. While I'm not prone to believe everything I read on the internet, that to me simply seems to confirm what I had found out about that specific company as I have heard similar from other people about them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Beeskee

Beeskee Trainee Engineer

It's a cynical view, but if you follow the money, it makes a certain sense. "Follow the money" works for a lot of things, but money is involved at some point in nearly everything so there's a lot of red herrings and coincidences.

An alternate explanation is that that portion of the in-game music was simply was similar enough to some random techno/trance track that their auto-matching algorithm flagged it. Possibly a naive perspective, but it's reasonable.

Either way, it's over and we'll probably never know the real reason. ;)

15. Ronin1973

Ronin1973 Master Engineer

The company I work for licenses libraries of music for commercials and online-streaming.

Depending on the agreement you may still have a license to use the song for free, however they have the right to monetize the usage by inserting their ads.

There is definitely an algorithm for matching music. If you haven't mixed in the music with something else, like dialog, and start at the beginning of the track, you're probably going to get flagged. This even happens to Fortune 500 companies that have videos professionally produced and the sound-track triggers an algorithm. Then they contact the people who produced it and we send them our licensing info and the dispute gets settled quickly since we've properly licensed the track and the owner can verify that we have.

The only way around this is to spend money LICENSING music for your videos. That's unlikely. But suffering through an ad on a site that you pay zero money to use isn't so bad.

16. Drui

Drui Keen Update Guy Staff

- every track we have is not from 3rd party, it is our creation
    - everyone is free to use SE music for their SE videos
    - we are not claiming anything ever
    - we are trying to fight against those claiming companies right now (we hate this claiming bullshit, we love every youtube video out there)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    • Like Like x 17
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Beeskee

Beeskee Trainee Engineer

I was guessing it was a false-positive.

Suffering through an ad on a free site isn't bad, but when it's ads in my video caused by a company that has nothing to do with Space Engineers claiming a copyright on the content is what I was concerned about. :D - I wasn't using anything except the in-game music.

Thank you for the confirmation! :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Einharjar

Einharjar Junior Engineer

FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT, KEEN!

19. George.Mamakos

George.Mamakos Apprentice Engineer

@Beeskee, can you please send me the link of the video that this company is claiming the copyrights? I have already contacted them and we are trying to clear this out with them.

Thanks

• Like Like x 2
  20. Krutchen

Krutchen Apprentice Engineer

AdRev boutta awaken a sleeping giant with this shit, Oh man.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.