1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

Leaving Planet with jetpack

Discussion in 'General' started by noname42, Nov 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. PhoenixTheSage

PhoenixTheSage Junior Engineer

I didn't say don't criticize, I just said give them a break. They are obviously working hard.
    There are people acting like children in some cases (and for all we know they could be).

The price of having week-to-week updates is that you will see every in-between step in the design of the game. Every damn one. This stuff happens behind closed doors in every single game ever made, and most likely it is easier for those devs than it is for Keen because of the pressure they are allowing themselves to be under for our sake.

If people think the balance is bad now, you should have seen things back in December 2013. It's easy to cry foul when not seeing the big picture and understanding just how far things have come and the way things eventually get addressed.

Everyone who knows me, knows that I'm on of the most critical people you will ever meet. Literally everything I love, I criticize because I love it. So when I am the one to say "well hold on now" you should probably realize things are getting silly around here.

As for the "data" the best option is to look at the source code. If you follow MyThrust.cs you will probably find the formula under powerConsumption or somethin...I'm going to sleep (4:30am) so I ain't doing it :p

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. fourthquantum

fourthquantum Senior Engineer

While I agree, in part, of what you are saying, calling posters childish is not helping anyone.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. PhoenixTheSage

Letting bad attitudes fester doesn't help anyone... :whatever:
    I call it how I see it, I don't sugarcoat my opinions about how people act. People are literally shouting all over the place because of jet pack fuel (both here and on Steam), which for all they know Keen still intends to adjust. Sounds pretty childish to me.

4. fourthquantum

To you they maybe acting childish, to others they may have a point; you calling them childish is only going to provoke more hostility. It's not helping any part of the discussion at all.

5. PhoenixTheSage

Which is why I didn't just call them childish ad hoc.
    If that is all they can see from my post, and they choose to be offended in response, they only prove my point by ignoring the points I make.
    It's called a straw-man argument...

6. fourthquantum

That's the point, they will ignore you because you've insulted them. It serves no purpose but to promote hostility.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  7. PhoenixTheSage

It's not my job to make them feel good. If they can't handle the heat, get out the kitchen :) Or you know, stop shouting over the internet...
    No seriously, what you are saying is basically: be politically correct.

8. fourthquantum

No I'm saying that insulting posters by calling them childish is not going to help anyone. It will only divert posters from the point you're trying to make, you're just going to get a hostile response.

9. PhoenixTheSage

It's not insulting if it's the truth and if they (unnamed ones) are that easily diverted, it's not worth my time to pay attention to such a response anyway.
    Basically, I don't really care...I've said my 2 cents

10. Samsonguy920

Samsonguy920 Apprentice Engineer

[​IMG]

I think this sums up exactly what is being discussed here.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Smoo

Smoo Apprentice Engineer

You need tanks to get up, so you'll be leaving a lot of them behind. Don't pirate bases have platinum, anyway? I never play fair regardless, I just don't like grinding these days.

There's better options, probably. How about refilling a pack requires you to not be falling? Of course, you need to be able to refill tanks in zero-g, but if you need more than your tank worth to clear atmosphere, and you can't refill while ascending, you're going to be descending pretty quick.

Or, like I suggested, make infinite jetpacks tied to gravity generators, say the GG is transmitting power or something. Gives bases a way to easily work on undersides, or enter ships, but makes it impractical to fly around the planet, or up into space.

12. mhalpern

mhalpern Senior Engineer

Problem with that last one is when you go too far in space

13. Typo91

Typo91 Trainee Engineer

I dont see the problem at all. You can't do anything meaningful on 1x with that anyway.

Us hard core people playing 1x realistic can't carry anything but a bottle or 2 with us... so even if we can get to space, unless we already have a ship up there, we can't really do anything useful up there till we get our refinery and assembler up there.

If we already have ships in space, i see this as a bonus, i mean, why not.

Every other noob playing 3x and 10x are already playing on easy mode anyway, and i dont care if they can fly up with 4000 cargo on them.

I dont count them as engineers because they dont even have to figure out ways around problems you face on 1x.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  14. ChaseBears

ChaseBears Trainee Engineer

you are playin 1x because realism and you don't have a problem with a 2 inch surface to orbit rocket on your backpack? :|

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Bumber

Bumber Senior Engineer

He never said he was playing 1x because of realism. He said he was playing "1x realistic" and implied there's a correlation between that and being "hard core".

16. Light_gemini

Light_gemini Junior Engineer

Then playing hardcore mode should involve using no jetpack and use the cockpit build feature instead, wich is what was intended in the first place.

To be honest if I was one of the devs and overpowered jetpack were going to finally stay, i would add wind and storms for planets so you can splat into a rock while flying merrily on the jetpack.
    And flocks of birds too so you have the problem of eating solved as you zoom from place to place flying with the mouth open.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  17. Typo91

Typo91 Trainee Engineer

All was trying to say, is...

Playing on 1x means you can't carry a dump truck worth of stuff on you...

I didnt mind the old jet pack, but its a game, and 60secs does help a lot.

I do use cockpit build a lot.

1x forces you to engineer all sorts of utility... and its not as much about the personal space... I honestly think thats more a hindrance.

anything other then 1x makes the cargo pods, cargo space in everything in fact, just way toooo big, to the point you can hold crazy amounts of stuff in things like a Connector.

Its much more challenging to have to build lots of cargo pods and figure out how to engineer your things to move being bigger and weighing more

Since we still die when jumping on top of a small ship, and fall through the ground when driving rovers and such, i am not to worried about it. thats the same reason i enable auto healing.

18. Jas

Jas Apprentice Engineer

but, why a spacesuit should not be able to leave a planet? i see no realism or gameplay reasons for that over a pointless forcing player to build a craft to leave a planet, leaving a planet im saying, nothing more, but most of the time is useless to leave a planet eith only a suit.
    Who like the 7s jetpack can still use it with this mod without nerfing to nonsense other's gameplay
    7s Hydrogen Jetpack
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=564270664

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  19. Smoo

Smoo Apprentice Engineer

That's a problem that does not exist. GG->jetpack power would only work inside the GG sphere, so you'd need a ship with you the entire way ANYWAY.

20. mhalpern

mhalpern Senior Engineer

Inertia can carry you out of the gravity generators range, also you could jump where your feet are in the gravity field and escape it. So many other problems too.

21. Malware

Malware Master Engineer

That's exactly why. And that's far from pointless because building is the purpose of the game. True, the 7 seconds was too little, but what we have now is way too much.

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. PhoenixTheSage

Just in case anyone is still arguing about this matter, I've made a mod to address the issue a while ago for my server :D :
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=571351061

The standard jetpack will only work in atmosphere, and runs off energy. Hydrogen bottles require a small amount of platinum, so only after you get to space will the hydrogen jetpack become the top tier choice. Ion is the low-cost, efficient and long-lasting choice for zero-g and moons.

23. Ghostickles

Ghostickles Senior Engineer

Fancy, in a Game this is a non issue, especially since it can be disabled in options.
    ....cant even put down a Med Bay in one trip regardless of inventory. Plus power?
    I like the one were I fly back to orbit after a crash and someone else complains. They aren't in my game, they are reading me posting about it and they get offended.
    What is that all about?
    I am sure if this bothers any of you - YOU simply will not do it, after all; did Confucius not say something about looking at ones self when they saw something which they did not agree with in another? Well, he did.
    True fact; it took longer to fly back empty handed minus a ship than it would have to Backspace and respawn back in the same ship.
    So what?
    Pick a real topic to crusade over guys, something like Shields or Space Whales, this is inane.

(Also if you havent played ME, which is like SE with no Jet Packs, no flying anything; have a go and see just how green that grass is.)

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  24. Malware

Malware Master Engineer

No you can't. You can only disable them in their entirety.

I'm complaining about a broken Game mechanic, I couldn't care less what you do. Suicide and medbay teleportation is an equally broken mechanic, the one neither validates nor invalidates the other.

25. Ghostickles

What if the inventory multiplier applied to the Hydrogen in the bottles, would that make things more amicable?

26. Light_gemini

Nope.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Ghostickles

So... bird feathers or bust? Okay Icarus, we'll all play YOUR way. Who wants to have fun anyway.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  28. Jas

Jas Apprentice Engineer

well, from now when i die i will delete my savegame, so the game will not have a broken mechanic ... lol
    vanilla settings should remain in a reasonable measure to let you a "light-hardcore" gameplay at 1x whitout not too much boring and long useless mechanics, if you want to setup a more "challenging" and more hardcore settings then you should manage a private server and do it whit mods/config.
    On conclusion i cant understand the reclaim this is a building game then want to nerf jetpack that i use to build things because i need more time and difficulty to build a thing this is no engineering (and you are not an engineer because you build a ship to help you to build things, you are an engineer only because this game has this word in his name :p) nor creativity booster, i cant find happiness in recharging hydrogen more times, and for me it is better to manage those things whit mods instead to have a damned slider so when i enter a server i know exactly the settings only watching the mod list, if you want to nerf things in vanilla then set the 1x, if you want more nerf then mods.

29. Light_gemini

Sorry for not explaining more. The problem is if you tie the bottles to the inventory size then you are enforcing it and limiting choices wich is the point of having all those options on the first place.
    You may want 1x invent. realism but cant stand almost useless jetpacks, or you may dislike land to orbit jetpacks but dont mind having 5x invent. to save time moving stuff around.
    To respect all possible choices or playstyles is what makes this difficult to solve for everybody.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  30. Malware

Malware Master Engineer

That's backwards thinking. Those who wants reasonable rules shouldn't need to use mods. Those who wants nonsensical rules should need to use mods.

Besides: I'm not really asking for a nerf, I'm asking for some kind of mechanic that prevents jetpacks from taking players into space. I don't care how it's solved.

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.