1. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

What's new since April?

Discussion in 'General' started by Maegil, Dec 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Maegil

Maegil Senior Engineer

I've stopped playing SE for a few months now, just occasionally lurking about the forums. Can you guys give me an overview of the most important improvements since April? I've saw from the update threads that there was lots of bugfixing, finally the planets came out, and that they speed-locked the moving parts (which probably means that the relative reference frames weren't implemented yet).

What else should I be specially aware of?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  2. Commander Rotal

Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Saberoids.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Scorpion00021

Scorpion00021 Senior Engineer

Planets, warp drives, station voxel support(meaning it moves if its not anchored to rock)... honestly, it would probably be best to skim through the update notes :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Maegil

Maegil Senior Engineer

I did skim the changelogs, but it's very time consuming, and easy to miss on the important stuff. That's why I'm asking here, as some of you guys have been accompanying the games evolution and can reply me more readily.

5. Asaku

Asaku Trainee Engineer

there's also spacemaster, oxygen, hydrogen, hydrogen thrusters...

offtopic: Nice profile pic Rotal :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Commander Rotal

I know. It's just hard to remember what's new since almost-a-year-ago without looking the logs up myself :D

7. PhoenixTheSage

PhoenixTheSage Junior Engineer

Multiplayer worked great for a week or two...then they broke it again :(
    And thus, here we are...in the dark times again...:stare:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  8. Aiadel

Aiadel Trainee Engineer

Assuming that the last update you were aware of was the Cryo Chamber one ( 1.080 ) , here is the list of the main things that they changed/added :

Upgrade modules : Assembler and refineries have now attachments for modules , blocks that increase power efficiency , production speed ( at the cost of increased energy consumption ) and , only for refineries , production efficiency ( the same amount of ore generates more ingots )

Autopilot : through the remote control block is now possible to have the ship do some action automatically , like moving to a certain spot or patrolling an area. You will need to mark the locations with your GPS , however.

Direct X 11 : Not only they added it , it is in fact required to play in a world with planets. They also revamped model and textures of certain blocks ( warhead , gyroscope , beacon , spotlight projector and cockpit ) , both for DX9 and DX11.

Sun rotation : self-explanatory.

Various station improvements : you are not limited to the grid , but , pressing B , you can rotate the station exactly like a ship. In fact , with "voxel support" active , it even behaves like a ship , unless you anchored it on an asteroid ( or a planet ). If you are on a planet , pressing B also aligns the station to the surface. Finally , every times you try to build a station within a certain range of another , it's possible to align the new station to the grid of the other , to allow you to connect them without problems.

UI transparency : self-explanatory.

Jumpdrives : yes , they added jumpdrives. This is mainly due to the fact that with planets players end up covering really long distances , and with the speed still capped at 104.4 m/s due to the "bullet through paper" problem , this was the only solution. They charge energy like a battery , and when they are full they can be used to either jump to a particular location ( marked with the GPS ) or perform a "blind-jump". The maximum distance covered depends on the mass of the ship and the number of Jumpdrives on board. They cannot be used to jump near other structures or in natural gravity wells. You also cannot use them in a natural gravity well.

Tutorial scenarios : self-explanatory. I think they still lack tutorials on planets , tough.

Inventory mass : the mass in containers now is considered in the total mass of your ship. Especially important on planets : it's quite common to start digging with your miner only to realize that your ship became too heavy to lift itself.

Pirates drones and bases : AI enemies , basically. If a base is within a certain range , it will spawn drones that will pursue and kill you. They will always follow the player , so if you don't want to damage your base , lure them away before engaging them.

Small ship turrets: self-explanatory.

Hydrogen thrusters : new kind of thrusters , they are cheaper and stronger than standard thrusters , but they need hydrogen , produced in the oxygen generators as a byproduct of oxygen and stored in Hydrogen Tanks.

Space master : a sort of "admin mode" that allow you to do a lot of things like enabling creative tools even in survival , deleting or depowering grids , and much more.

Building from cockpit: self-explanatory. Press G when in a cockpit to activate it.

Planets : large objects ( 120 Km of diameter for planets , 30 km for moons ) that generate a natural gravity around them. They are only partially procedural ( ore deposits will change , but the general topography will remain the same ). Standard thrusters will gradually decrease in efficiency as you approach them : at 1.00 g , they will only generate 30% of their maximum thrust. There are 3 different kind of planets ( Earth , Mars and Alien ) and 3 different kind of moons ( Moon , Titan , Europa ). Platinum don't naturally spawn in planets , only in moons , so you will need Hydrogen Thrusters to go to space.

New starting scenarios : all about planets , there are 6 of them. 4 of them are basically the same start but in different planets ( Earth , Mars , Alien and Moon ) , so you will face different challenges based on where you are. The other two are Star System , where you spawn in an Atmospheric Lander in the skies of an Earth-like planet , and Habitable Planet , suitable for creative mode , since you spawn only in your space suit facing a planet about 50 km away.

Sabiroids : first bot of the game. It burrows , it has various attack animation and is strong enough to snap the default Small Fighter in half with a single blow. It is native of the Alien planet and one of the moons ( Titan , I think ).

Atmospheric Thrusters : the third kind of thruster in the game , it can work only in the atmosphere of a planet , but is a cheap , if a bit heavy , propulsion system.

Tool tiers : there are now 4 tiers for tools and 4 different type of assault rifle ( standard , precise -less spread with lower fire rate- , rapid -fire rate increased with more spread - and elite - more fire rate and less spread , but not at the level of the precise or rapid versions- )

Plus a bunch of fixes , small changes , options for scenarios and so on.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Devon_v

Devon_v Senior Engineer

Planets max out at 120km, but otherwise spot on!

10. Aiadel

Aiadel Trainee Engineer

Thank you , edited.

11. Maegil

Maegil Senior Engineer

Thank you kindly all for the replies. That's a whole lot of goodies, and several items scratched off my wish list; maybe human NPCs bots aren't to far off either! :)

Now, as for the Geocentric pseudo-Ptolemaic system... argh. It was only to be expected, since Keen is yet to get to the reference centre issue, but still, argh.

12. Commander Rotal

AI Crew is actually confirmed (though i have a hunch that Keen is going to make the bots robots instead :( ) to be a thing in the future.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Maegil

Maegil Senior Engineer

I wonder how long it'll be until they get modded right back into default engineers... ;)

14. Clunas

Clunas Junior Engineer

I'd say about 3.1 parsecs

15. Maegil

Maegil Senior Engineer

10.106 light-years? Now you lost me... Do you mean it's so hard we'll be doing round trips to Alpha Centauri?

16. Clunas

Clunas Junior Engineer

Na, just poking fun at Star Wars for using a distance unit for time. With the modding community around here, it won't take long

17. Maegil

Maegil Senior Engineer

Sigh... you'd expect better from a sci-fi writer.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Echillion

Echillion Senior Engineer

Don't forget Pirates both in space and on planets

19. Bahroth

Bahroth Apprentice Engineer

+1 for robot-bots if they are voiced by Kevin Spacey :p

20. Asaku

Asaku Trainee Engineer

I did not know about this... With some modding maybe I can finally open up my space broth... emm... refueling station... yeah... hehehe... Finally my dream of refueling people with combustible and happiness will come true!

21. leewells2000

leewells2000 Apprentice Engineer

Haven't you heard? They changed the game's name from Space Engineers to CTD Engineers.

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. Maegil

Maegil Senior Engineer

Church–Turing–Deutsch Engineers? That'd be nice...

23. leewells2000

leewells2000 Apprentice Engineer

Nahh, carebears turn deadly engineers

24. inventor200

inventor200 Apprentice Engineer

Maegil! You're back! Haven't seen you in a long time! Man, there's a whole new active crowd, it seems :woot: Vasvadum pokes his head back in once a month or so back, and it seems Senior Zorros has returned as well :3

25. Maegil

Maegil Senior Engineer

Actually, I've stopped posting on April 1st, when they changed the forum engine and I couldn't log in - I got locked out by stinking Hotmail, it was soon solved but I had already lost the addiction. So yeah, I'm back, and ready to put in another K posts.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Ghostickles

Ghostickles Senior Engineer

Welcome back @Maegil, big thurst changes with planets, lots of new science to do.
    :)

27. Maegil

Maegil Senior Engineer

Guys, what happened to the good old rotor trick? I can't CTRL+ cut, copy or paste to/from the clipboard, how is it done now (if at all)?

28. Commander Rotal

@Maegil The Rotors now have a button called Lock/Unlock or similar in the control menu. For reasons unknown Keen has decided to take the copypasting away and you now can only do the Trick manually anymore. I suspect Survival had something to do with it. I like blaming Survival. On occasion, at least. To do the Trick you now bring the Rotor Head attached to whatever you want to attach to the Rotor Base close to it and click on "Lock" on the Rotor's base's grid. You used to have to save and reload for it to snap into place; i don't know if that's still the case as i have banished all Rotors and Pistons from my ships.

29. Maegil

Maegil Senior Engineer

So I've build both a large and small rotors, to get the large part into the small body. I've detached both (the small one's shaft sunk into the body, but it's still accessible)... I can't cut or copy either, so now what?

30. YtramX

YtramX Apprentice Engineer

Just use the rotor head block, you don't have to do anything fancy other than grinding up the rotor head that's there when you originally place the base. You can use the rotor head block on large or small grids, move the grid with the head on it close to the rotor base, then select "Attach" from the control panel for the rotor and it'll attach.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.