1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

Projections require no solid blocks - optional world setting

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Dicarus, Jan 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Dicarus

Dicarus Apprentice Engineer

As in title, it would be really nice if you could just weld stuff immediately when projected, instead of when it's connected to already solid block, I understand it's not something all people would want, so I suggest it to be an option when creating a new world (just like NPC ships and regenerating health). It would allow much easier creation of 3D printers/mass-producing vehicle factories on PVP oriented servers without requiring the player to make such workarounds like a conveyor line to grind away.
    I imagine it would also create new challenges, such as handling a vastly different way everything is built in planet gravity without anything holding the projected stuff still.

Thoughts?

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. Krutchen

Krutchen Apprentice Engineer

Being able to immediately construct free floating projections would be really interesting, without a doubt, and i'd love to see how this would be handled. However, you could always make a basic proejctor + battery setup for a ship base, disconnect, and construct off of that.
    Additionally, when it comes to grinding down a conveyor line to disconnect, or having a merge block you don't want and/or will never use in the future, I just get around that with this mod : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=497507085
    Construct the ship, trigger the explosive bolt on completion, and bam, done and done.

I might be misunderstanding your suggestion though, if you meant being able to freely weld whatever is on the projection and have it all connect, i'm not sure how that would work, because disconnected free floating objects are considered their own grids, and that would probably be a pain in the ass for welding up ship internals.

3. Ulfsark

Ulfsark Master Engineer

The slightest bump would cause the welded parts to float away from the projected image. Too many variables.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. CheeseJedi

CheeseJedi Apprentice Engineer

Indeed. What you're building needs to be a single grid, if that's how it's projected. How do you stop the first block, or any others for that matter, drifting away? If you don't work in sequence and build upon something solid you end up building lots of parts of your grid that are disconnected and useless.

There was an option for scenarios that allowed spawning of complete blueprints when not connected to anything, but note that this was all done in one go and not block by block with the problems that might entail if you do it in the wrong order.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dicarus

Which is why you should come up with a way to prevent that as the "engineers" part.
    Interesting, this should make my life easier atleast for a moment.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Ulfsark

Ulfsark Master Engineer

yeah, build it off the same grid.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Dicarus

Which is a huge pain in the ass, if you're making a factory that can produce tanks/dropships/whatever and your blueprints need to be adjusted to have an ugly ass conveyor tail.

8. Ulfsark

Ulfsark Master Engineer

you know, i've never had an issue building blueprints like that...... Just weld the "tail" piece off. I usually make a light armor stem and build the projected blueprint like a lollypop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Dicarus

Which needs another moving part, what on current netcode is a tragedy. There would be no harm in just being able to weld straight away. I've exploded my stuff by a rotor collision too many times.

10. Ulfsark

Ulfsark Master Engineer

I also have to ask, how would you propose we keep the partially welded blocks steady? Landing gear? You'd have to stop welding, activate them, then continue welding. You would not be able to weld anything at ANY speed if its a mobile factory. And as for in natural gravity, it would be impossible. As soon as any part of the projection touches another block or a the ground, it won't be a valid projection. You'd have to try to align the landing gear PERFECTLY with the ground so when welded, it doesn't actually drop. And wheeled vehicles, forget about it.

11. Ulfsark

Ulfsark Master Engineer

Engineer a solution ;)

12. Dicarus

Believe me I would, but I don't know how to code yet.

13. CheeseJedi

CheeseJedi Apprentice Engineer

Adjusting designs for mass-production is a real thing in the real world. The trade off between a few tweaks vs largely automated production process should be obvious, and if you have to do 'too much' work (cost/benefit ratio not in your favour) then perhaps it's time to consider a different design.

Not sure how that's going to help... unless you plan on re-writing a fairly substantial part of the game (all of the grid handling code - and bear in mind that anything not an asteroid, planet, floating object or player is a grid), assuming the GitHub repository ever gets updated again. Don't assume this is a trivial task, by any means!

The closest you can get to putting together a single grid out of sub-assemblies might come from Digi's Advanced Welding mod, and would allow a fairly complex assembly line to be built where pre-built sections are 'welded' (disappearing merge-blocked) together in series. This would be all kinds of awesome!

14. Sad_Brother

Sad_Brother Apprentice Engineer

Can you start welding from Landing Gear?

15. Krougal

Krougal Senior Engineer

Yeah, I had a lot of frustration with projectors at first until I learned how things work (now I only have several frustrations with them, but it's better than a lot)
    I'm for this in theory but I just accept it as a game engine limitation
    It would take too much time and effort to make work properly, and would break many other things in the process.
    Too much pain for too little gain.

• Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.