1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

[Concept] - Modular Ship Weapons

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by ScheißePoster, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. shepard1707

shepard1707 Trainee Engineer

I actually wonder if this will be implemented when Composite blocks are implemented, or sometime after that point. It seems like that would be a pretty big boone to this sort of thing.

2. saxmo

saxmo Apprentice Engineer

This would be an awesome way to kill the speed limit in SE physics. I've heard the reason we have a speed limit of 104 is because the voxel programming system they use starts to get unstable after that speed. (Refrence speed mods and weapons passing through the target without causing damage.)

I hate the speed limit, but what can I do but brainstorm.

I'd love to build a sniper ship, but with the current system, the only thing large enough to put a hole in a ship is limited by the same speed limit. Ammo on the other hand, is treated differently, you can be going max speed, chasing a target at max speed, and still fire rockets and missiles that catch up. Having a modular weapon system, as well as design able ammunition would allow for a ship to fire from a stand still and hit a target going at max speed. The only other problem is that ammunition disappears after a certain distance. I want to be able to reach out and touch a ship the moment it is in my antenna range or I can see it's beacon.

Another idea: anti-matter rounds. Anti-matter is not science fiction, and it is the most destructive reaction mass we have. Imagine a round with anti-matter held in a magnetic containment field. Once it impacts the ships hull (or set to detonate after penetration) you have such an explosion that you break the ship I half, or completely atomize it. I realize this would be super over powered, so it would be extremely expensive to make them in survival.

Next idea: we have a jump drive, I want to weaponize it. Aquire your enemies GPS coordinates and jump a couple warheads to its center of mass. :) was that a supernova? No, it was your sniper ship turning into popcorn farther away from us than it can fire.

3. SenorZorros

SenorZorros Master Engineer

antimatter is the very definition of unstable and therefore ridiculously expensive to make, store and fire. a big lump of steel is cheaper, safer, gives a bigger kaboom and fits better into the setting. (furthermoreif you use steel you can scream Newton)

also, I think weaponized jumpdrives are a really bad idea as they completely circumvent any defensive options.

4. saxmo

The best defense is a good offense... fire first.

5. SenorZorros

SenorZorros Master Engineer

normally I would agree but in this case you could destroy something from way to far a range without risking anything. this would actually turn the game into a boring case of "who finds the other first"

6. saxmo

True, it would make survival way too easy to destroy way too much. But I'd still love for it to be an option. Like a before game check box (jump drive auto avoid objects)

That way I could at least toy with it in creative. Jump my ship into a planet and use it as an instant subterranean base. Or test what would actually happen.atleast make it to where where we can jump to within sensor range so we can have an auto tracking drone that can be hit to make it a little more fare.

I was a bit disappointed when testing jump drives when I set several ships to jump to the same cords To find they appeared 1000m apart instead of crashing into eachother. I wanted mayhem and destruction.

7. RoSothian

RoSothian Apprentice Engineer

Make it easier for us to replicate the weapons currently in the game using building and engineering.

8. saxmo

Micro blocks ;)

For a purely construction standpoint, I'd love to do away with the horrible collision boxes that the current weapons have.

9. Unknown Squid

Unknown Squid Apprentice Engineer

That's actually another side advantage of a modular weapon system. Currently if you add some of the larger modded weaponry to a ship, and you take a collision or any kind of damage to the very end of the barrel, it will damage/destroy the entire gun. In a modular system, all damage is localised and accurate to the part hit. So rather than a gaping hole suddenly appearing in your ship, fights or impacts would be more likely to just destroy the front end of the gun and disable it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jetstream01

jetstream01 Apprentice Engineer

Bringing this thread up again because it absolutely needs to be in Space Engineers. Modular weapons would turn SE into a true sandbox dream game, as currently all you can do is paste a bunch of pre made turrets on a ship.

Devs: please do another survey for what features the community wants (after new netcode of course) and put modular weapons on there! You've done theseeing surveys in the past.

11. Grit Breather

Grit Breather Junior Engineer

Yes for this. Without a doubt!

12. Krutchen

Krutchen Apprentice Engineer

Space Bayonets would be quite fearsome and hilarious weapons to use. Hell, I'd build an entire fleet of space viking/pirate drones with bayonet tipped autocannons.

I will say though, that a system like this would be wonderful. More modularity and construction of weapons, which in turn give you a variety of different behaviors and damage values, would be much preferable to prefabbed weapon blocks. One of the reasons that From the Depths is one of my favourite "building" type of games is the sheer expanse of the weapon systems in it, with just a few modules you can make such a wide variety of weapons, ranging anywhere from high explosive cluster cannons, naval guns, or insanely high rpm flak miniguns.

Having a system like this in space engineers would be absolutely beautiful, and I could finally make the ship length railgun naval cannon of my dreams.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dicarus

Dicarus Apprentice Engineer

From the Depths has a really nice thing like this, I'm all for it, provided it's well implemented.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Kingfishercritic

Kingfishercritic Apprentice Engineer

Hopefully if such a system is implemented, there will be a vast number of possible part combinations. Shell diameter/bore should be part of the selection. Perhaps it can be made with a slider so you can make guns of any reasonable size.

15. Bruce LeedleLeedleLeedleLee

Bruce LeedleLeedleLeedleLee Junior Engineer

Maybe you know the advanced (not custom) cannons from from the depths. they have proper magazines, cooling units and maybe even a little gimbal(?). it would really fit, and if it's available for both small and large ships we may even build artillery ships or something like galleons. also a bit of small turning range autocannon for small ships would be really cool

16. DJ-Col7

DJ-Col7 Apprentice Engineer

I totally agree with the discussion here, i've played both SE and FtD for quite awhile now (456 hours in FtD and 1,397 in SE) and i can agree the FtD weapon system or something close would be a PERFECT fit for SE. Less pre-fab parts and more customization i say. Sure pre-fab parts are nice and serve a role of their own either for quick and simple fixes for a problem or for a new player to use before getting into a complex minefield of customization. Yeah sure pre-fab parts are quick and easy but NOTHING beats the feeling of cruising around in a ship you customized down to the very last cannon and engine.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Le Sir

Le Sir Trainee Engineer

+1 for costom weapons (ESPECIALLY Railguns!!) and missiles/torpedos like the ones in From The Depths

18. Grit Breather

Grit Breather Junior Engineer

Oh, I was hoping this thread would get revived at some point. Definitely a good concept.

19. Lord Bhael

Lord Bhael Apprentice Engineer

+1+1+1+1+1+1+1!!!!

20. Fragman

Fragman Apprentice Engineer

Very nicy idea! The game called "Space Engineers". So why we can't engineering weapons too?

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Fiddi

Fiddi Apprentice Engineer

Exactly, they keep saying they want to add more weapons but why not give US the tools needed to build our own variation instead. This is needed.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Vlad

Vlad Trainee Engineer

Dead space 3 should be an inspiration, hopefully with some better design we get something similar soon, other games did similar things (ex: fallout 4)

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.