1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

*POLL* Workshop Blocks into Vanilla

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by DeeDee, Jan 10, 2016.

?

Would you like to see some of the most subscribed blocks on the workshop implemented into vanilla?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    84.6%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Workshop Subscribe is sufficient

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. DeeDee

DeeDee Trainee Engineer

As the title suggests i would like to know and also raise awareness of how many fellow Space Engineers would like to see Keen to implement some of the most subscribed blocks on the workshop into vanilla.

I would like to mention that it already happened in the past with the "Fighter Cockpit" that started as a mod on workshop and managed to get implemented into vanilla version of Space Engineers.

I believe that many of us would love to see for example "Armor Thrusters" by Darth Biomech get implemented into vanilla Space Engineers. Judging by the fact that currently 146,946+ players have subscribed this mod.

Thank you for your time and happy engineering.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  2. Maegil

Maegil Senior Engineer

First of all: no yes/no polls, it's right there on the forum rules. Secondly, as you've said, some mods have already been incorporated, so the poll is moot. Not that most people who use mods (and a few who doesn't) wouldn't like their favourite mods made into vanilla, anyway.

There are a few fundamental mods that I would like to see in, among which I'd probably put at the top the autosave mod, the ARMS radar and autopilot, the small ships mega mod pack, the Titan engines, more armour shapes and blast door parts.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  3. DeeDee

DeeDee Trainee Engineer

My intention is not to break the forum rules. But as mentioned previously i simply want to raise awareness about this subject. Fighter Cockpit was the only mod ever implemented and it was long time ago.

I have a feeling that Keen is not fully aware of how many players would like to see more blocks from workshop implemented into vanilla version of SE.

4. KingdomBragg

KingdomBragg Junior Engineer

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. SenorZorros

SenorZorros Master Engineer

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Krutchen

Krutchen Apprentice Engineer

Modular weapons + Modular engines with various pieces you could slot in or build upon to improve and alter performance would be absolutely amazing, and would offer such a wonderfully wide array of engineering options for the lot of us.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Malware

Malware Master Engineer

All of these are highly inefficient entity blocks as opposed to proper armor blocks, which means they can't be optimized runtime as normal armor can. No thanks. There's no way Keen will add them as-is, I can tell you that for sure. Proper armor equivalents? Sure, that would be appreciated, if it's possible - without filling the G-menu to the brim.

As to adding mods to vanilla. Yeah, there are a few I'd like and can see fitting well in vanilla. However Keen have stated several times that they can't just pop mod blocks in there just like that. It requires pretty much the same amount of work as any new block, because they must be redone up to Keens standards. This has been stated in streams and AmAs. Not to mention that - at least to me - it makes perfect sense. There are a lot of models up there that have far more polygons than needed, and some strange and inefficient triangulations as well. I'm fairly sure some of them are perfectly reasonable though, many of those modders are seriously talented artists. However one can be a very talented artist while still not have the knowledge needed to make good game models, technically speaking.

Not to mention, the vanilla blocks of the game aren't even finalized yet. Almost every block in there aside from a few are placeholders. Every mod added is yet another block that will need to be redone later.

I'm confident that mods may be integrated at a later stage, because they have stated this as a possibility as well. But not until the vanilla graphics are finalized, including any upcoming stuff.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. KingdomBragg

KingdomBragg Junior Engineer

Absolutely @LordDevious, I agree that these shouldn't be added as is. To be clear, I am not suggesting immediate action and would like at some point a greater selection of armor blocks of which the linked mods provide a good example.

Edit: As you point out, we would also need some kind of change to the way the g-menu works to cope with such an increase in blocks. Perhaps the Medieval Engineers +block system would work?

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. DeeDee

DeeDee Trainee Engineer

Agreed. Even just by adding option to create your own G categories in-game would be nice addition.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.