1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

Upgraded ram and WOW,

Discussion in 'General' started by hos1981, Feb 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. hos1981

hos1981 Trainee Engineer

I have amd 1055t running at 3.71ghz on water and hd 6970 crossfire, I had 8 gigs ddr3 1600's that's 4x2gig sticks. I bought 2x8gig ddr3 1600's and put them in giving me 20 gigs ram and what a difference. No more stuttering, seem's a memory upgrade is the most worth while upgrade. I mean the game just crashed again on me cause of all the other bugs. I thought because SE was only using 3.5 gigs when I had 8gigs that memory was not needed but now that I have 20 gigs SE uses 10.5 gig not including my OS and other background programs.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Late Late x 1
  2. Harrekin

Harrekin Master Engineer

Your mobo accepts completely different sticks of RAM at the same time?

3. ShadedMJ

ShadedMJ Apprentice Engineer

Don't intend to hijack the thread, but I went from 12GB (okay but rarely sluggish) to 32GB (memory to spare).

4. hos1981

hos1981 Trainee Engineer

Yes, there both ddr3 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 so in this case it's okay. They have to be in the right channel as well. If they were different speeds it would just reduce the speed of the faster memory to that of the slower but in a case like that you would only see the difference in a benchmark I don't think it would be noticeable.
    --- Automerge ---
    My hd 6970's in CF have 2 gigs of memory I have eyefinity set up but I don't use it for SE just play on 1 monitor I'm wondering if a new 8 gig video card might help too.

What kind of CPU do you have ShadedMJ and video card?

5. ShadedMJ

ShadedMJ Apprentice Engineer

Memory : 32 GB of memory
    CPU : i7-2600 @ 3.4 GHz (8 core) (so I can do a spitload of processing)
    Video : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 (weakest link for Space Engineers)

I quite like the performance for Space Engineers even in current un-optimized code.

6. hos1981

hos1981 Trainee Engineer

Well you have a great cpu much more powerful than mine, I can't complain about my amd 1055t but I wonder how most people can even run this game. I saw AMD's new cpu just released it has hyper-threading or atleast AMD's equivalent, In all the benchmarks it's on par with Intel's best cpu and only 450$ compared to Intel's 1800$. I'm guessing Intel is going to have to lower there prices to compete now. It's nice Intel finally has some real competition. I always wanted to do a build with Intel but just can't afford the cost. I can build a whole AMD system for the same price as a I7 cpu, lol

7. Potter

Potter Apprentice Engineer

Went from 16GB to 64 myself, and I can confirm this. Not only was lag and stuttering drastically reduced, but load times went down significantly as well.

A new video card will definitely help too. Looks like you enjoy batting for the red team so I would recommend waiting for Vega if you're considering a GPU upgrade.

8. Barrio575

Barrio575 Apprentice Engineer

Not sure if your cards are 1gb vram or 2, but just to let you know vram doesn't stack in crossfire/sli (unfortunately) Link

9. Renegrade

Renegrade Trainee Engineer

Most do. Usually it has to be in pairs in modern systems (dual channel), but you can mix and match any set of pairs as you please. My desktop requires 'em in sets of four, as it's quad channel, but it has eight slots which can support varying setups. I'm currently equipped with 4x8GiB and 4xEmpty_slots, totaling 32GiB (with room for expansion). My laptop has 2x4GiB and 2x8GiB, giving it 24 - I woulda given it 32 as well, but only THREE of the slots are accessable from the upgrade port, the fourth is on the opposite side of the motherboard, basically under the keyboard somewhere, which is no-go for when it was under warranty.

My previous motherboard had 6 slots, which took memory in sets of 3 (Nehalem triple-channel i7). Stupid thing was a potato cooker, so I emergency crash-bought my current one, and relegated the potato-burner to a fileserver (with half the cores turned off and the CPU governor set to conservative or ondemand depending on the season).

Reminds me of the old days when the 60-pin SIMMs were only 8 bits wide, and you had to have four for 386s and 486s (32-bit data paths.. well DX-type 386s anyhow), then the 32-bit "72-pin" (actually 144-pin) SIMMs came along, and you'd only need one... so the Pentium/Pentium Pro grew a 64-bit databus so you needed multiple SIMMs again haha.

(and then there was the even older days, when 8-bit systems had eight memory chips since they were 1-bit wide, but there was usually less upgrade-ability back then -- those tended to come pre-installed on your C64, and any upgrades were pre-packaged modules. DIP chips are a bit fiddly to work with compared to SIMMs)

10. hos1981

hos1981 Trainee Engineer

Yes my cards both have 2 gigs each, but unfortunately crossfire doesn't work in Space engineers so I get no gain from it at all. IMO going with crossfire was a mistake I bought a 2nd hd6970 for 60$ on Ebay it was a cheap upgrade but I should have just saved up and got rx480 or something.

Hey how about the old days when AMD was top dog with there dual core. Looks like there coming back. I would love an intel 2011 with quad channel but wow, Think I would buy a house first.

11. Harrekin

Harrekin Master Engineer

I found a 400Mhz Pentium 2 the other day, came in a cassette...

That was a flashback, lol.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.