1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

When is space engineers going to be released on xbox one

Discussion in 'General' started by onknown12, Feb 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. onknown12

onknown12 Trainee Engineer

i need this game and i dont have a pc and it was announced 2 years ago allmost 3

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. DDP-158

DDP-158 Master Engineer

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. GrindyGears

GrindyGears Senior Engineer

Well, I'll go ahead and say it, use the search bar next time please, absolutely no new info has been posted since the last thread about xbox one LAST FUCKING WEEK.

Welcome to the forums, be prepared for the possibility of being flamed on your first post, have a nice stay.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Ronin1973

Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Same question. Different day. Well... let me break out ole "Xtra Krispy" again...

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. FlakMagnet

FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

The first rule of Space Engineers X-Box port is that we donot talk about Space Engineers X-Box port.....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. REDSHEILD

REDSHEILD Junior Engineer

Stunning teaser of an Xbox One running Space Engineers.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ronin1973

Ronin1973 Master Engineer

That would be a picture of a roasted potato.

8. AbsolutelyDramaticNutjob

AbsolutelyDramaticNutjob Trainee Engineer

As a counterpoint, I'd look to Ark: Survival Evolved as an example of what releasing a build for consoles can do for the performance, as that game runs very well and consistently on consoles while the PC version still has all kinds of inconsistencies and issues even on high end machines (Early on even after the console release, some people with mid-high end PCs still had to play Ark: Playdoh Adventure). When a dev works on a console port, they know what the hardware is, it's set in stone, so issues are much easier to resolve and fixes will work for almost all users.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Dan2D3D

Dan2D3D Moderator

10. Renegrade

Renegrade Trainee Engineer

While it's true that fixed hardware makes for easier optimizing, Ark is not exactly a good example. That goes beyond "poorly optimized" and into the realm of "written by especially stupid chimpanzees smashing on broken typewriters" level of programming.

Generally speaking, the rule of thumb is that a decent PC's extra power should compensate for the increased difficulty of optimizing for it's moving-target hardware nature. Doubly so if compared to a PS3-based program, as the idiot-chimpanzee designed Cell is impossible to program for (PS2 was said to be hard to program for as well, but with more justification). Anything past that is basically "we just wanted to crap out some end-of-life game to squeeze the last few dollars on it and can't really be bothered to put the full effort into the porting as the market is much smaller and the game is already dated and possibly inappropriate for the format (mouse+keys vs controller for example).

An example of such optimization can be found in my own game engine; my original text render engine was written to use OpenGL glBitMaps. It's quite fast and requires almost no memory, but it's not as fast as a texture-based engine. So, I created a texture engine that basically just extends the bitmap engine a bit (texture storage, plus a reference to the display list for the textured quad, etc). This dual system incurs some overhead, but thanks to non-idiot-chimp design, there's only one branch per frame. We're probably talking about 5 nanoseconds per 16 milliseconds, possibly less. It didn't actually make a measurable difference in the profiling.

Now, if the branch was every line, or worse, every character, it might start adding up. Especially if it stalls the pipeline each time..

It turns out that the bitmap engine is actually faster on like an Intel GMA 450 system, if I recall correctly. The texturemap system is faster on serious video hardware.

That's almost three years ago. I wonder if they suspended porting plans when they realized that almost everybody said "pass" when the X-Bone was announced. Total sales are in the 10-20m range for the X-Bone, vs about 40-50 for the PS4, and like 170 million for the previous generation (combined) MS/Sony consoles. Of course maybe they're holding out for the X-Bone 2.0; the original one would choke and die on Space Engineers, heh.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Calaban

Calaban Junior Engineer

once they figure out how to port the dozens of PC keyboard inputs into the 10 buttons and 2 triggers of a console controller...

So likely never.... or if ever, so convoluted and ui difficult no one would want to bother.

12. DDP-158

DDP-158 Master Engineer

Why do people have such a hard time visualizing control input on cross platforms, including building survival games like mc and ark. Chances are over half the games you play are cross platform. On top of that xbox also supports m&k which is continually forgotten.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Major Awesome

Major Awesome Trainee Engineer

I know, until about a month ago I didn't have a pc either. I kept waiting... and waiting. If I had to guess it might be (very iffy) released around Christmas this year. If they wait too long Microsoft will move on to another generation of consoles lol.

14. Forcedminer

Forcedminer Senior Engineer

for now i guess plugging your xbox controller into your pc and configuring it is as good as it gets for now. O.o

I can imagine analogue input for SE would be pretty slick...thats one thing the consoles always have...then again....pc game controllers.

15. doncdxx

doncdxx Apprentice Engineer

I tried a controller with SE some time ago. Probably one of the most awkward experiences possible. I think it's possible to make it work, but they need to rethink pretty much everything. Though having the analog for thrust is kinda neat. I managed to dock a ship in a way that I never could with keyboard and mouse. But everything else was just so inefficient I put the controller down not long after that little test flight.

SE may be awkward, but ME worked fine with controller. Some slight awkwardness, but easily on the way to control comfort similar to games like Skyrim.

16. Charlie1029

Charlie1029 Trainee Engineer

was not sure where to post this but as long as its read, with you guys currently working on the xbox port will you please work on the controller layout for pc as well i actually like the layout but it is almost impossible to use without a keyboard and there is one MAJOR problem with it, the b button is downwards thrust and also the p button on the keyboard if this could be moved to a different button that would help so much with piloting ships. you get tired after a while of ships unlocking from connectors while in fight and destroying hangars as well as the smaller ships themselves. and also if you could show which buttons do what on a controller somewhere in the game that would be great too. i hope there are plans for this because if i could use just a controller it would make this great game too me just that much better thank you

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.