1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

Help for a new player

Discussion in 'General' started by Por, Mar 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Por

Por Trainee Engineer

I just purchased the game today. I made it thew the first 5 missions and then then credits. Nothing else came up so I went to custom mode. In here I tried the solar system left everything default and chose the Planetary Lander and the start point. After 50 attempts I gave up. I have seen tons of videos of that ship having power over 4 hours and enough to land. Mine starts with 7 min. The other noticeable thing is on their screen it states they have 4 batteries mine says 0. I have tried tons of different setting and nothing seems to change. Can anyone please tell me how to fix this problem?

i have also notice his reactor is 65w where as min is somewhere around 10w

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  2. Yeoman

Yeoman Apprentice Engineer

I think the batteries are set to recharge for some reason. As soon as you get in, hit "k" to open the menu. Type"battery" to get a list of the available batteries. Select all and make sure the check box is set "discharge." That should do it.

The next thing you want to do is search for your thrusters and select the backwards ones, and group then and place the group on the hotbar so you can toggle then off and on. Thus will save you tons of power.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Commander Rotal

Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Batteries are weird at the moment; i'm not sure if they're officially broken or if they turned some stuff around on purpose but as @Yeoman says, check if they're set to recharge and if they are, turn that off.

That is, if you're playing Survival Mode. I would HIGHLY recommend getting accustomed to the game in Creative Mode (which you can choose in the World Options when you open a new game or click on the options of an old save). For starters you're not going to die in there and can take all the time you need to look at the blocks. (Make sure to turn Pirates, Drones, Cargo Ships, random encounters etc off to have a little Alone-Time with the game.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yeoman

Yeoman Apprentice Engineer

@Commander Rotal is correct. Creative is a good place to start. Building in survival can be extremely hard when you don't know the blocks by heart. I'd suggest at least building a small miner in creative as that will be your first needed ship. This way you can balance your cargo against your thrust. Just make sure you switch the world to survival to test it since in creative, cargo containers can hold infinite cargo for some reason. Or just do the math and fill it accordingly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Farindark

Farindark Apprentice Engineer

Greetings

I have always played in survival mode and disagree that creative is a better place to learn/figure out how blocks work, nothing beats trying to build something and meeting the DEMI GOD god :clang: you soon remember what doesn't work and/or kills you! I often download blueprints of ships and have at times copy pasted workshop ships into survival mode to learn from others. After a little while of this you can often learn to pick if a ship was made in creative and just doesn't work properly in survival. It seems for what ever reasons some things just don't quite work exactly the same in creative as opposed to survival, either its something in the games code that changes the behavior of a block or just down to a placement/orientation error like a conveyor sorter the wrong way around.

I think you need to decide what you mostly want from SE and then pick a mode to use and go with it. If you just want to make cool looking ships or experiment with the mechanics then creative is just fine to dive right into, if you like the idea of survival and want to eke out an existence and work your way up to bigger and better things than you should dive right into survival and try things out to see what works and doesn't for your survival success. Naturally both modes are quite valid and your free to mix them as you see fit as well.

@Yeoman makes a good point, through bugs that often make unintended changes in a patch you can find yourself in dire straits as things don't work they way you think they should or the way they did before the patch. So when things go a bit awry it always wise to check the forums and ask a question or see what others are complaining about. :tu:

6. halipatsui

halipatsui Senior Engineer

How dare you call lord clang just a demigod???????
    I SMELL HERECY!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Ronin1973

Ronin1973 Master Engineer

First piece of help:

Post your questions in the "Help" thread rather than the general thread.

The power system is completely fubar'ed at the moment. I believe Keen keeps going back and forth with a system of prioritization of power sources that never makes much sense, since the priority is always different depending on the needs of each player.

I think it would just be better to have each block being able to receive and/or generate power to selectable channels (A,B,C...ETC.) with everything placed on "A" by default. Want to charge your batteries exclusively from solar? Set your solar panels to output on channel...B.. for example and set the batteries to input on B and output on... um... A.

Want to dedicate a reactor to life-support? Set your medbay, oxygen generators, vents, to receive on C and set that reactor to output on C.

Then everyone can go about powering things however they want and we can scrap all of this nonsense with prioritization that makes no sense and buggers everything up.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Commander Rotal

Commander Rotal Master Engineer

@Ronin1973 is correct in the power system being shite right now. For example i really don't know what to do with Batteries - despite setting them to "Recharge" they display some Output, which i find greatly annoying. I wish i could set them to simply "Recharge, unless all of my Reactors go offline", which i suppose i could do with scripts if i knew how to script. Ideally that'd be what the Batteries do by default but since there's no tooltip for what the hell they do when you have EVERYTHING unchecked...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Late Late x 1
  9. Por

Por Trainee Engineer

Thank you guys for all the suggestions!

After crash #189 I figured my issue out. I am not sure if this is done by design but if I turn off the Inertial Dampeners (Z key I think) I am able to have enough fuel to land. I have tried several different ways to land like holding C (for down) and could almost make it, turning off all power by pressing "Y" and turning it back on at 3k still no go. But for the new players that don't want to start in Creative the best way is to turn off Inertial Dampeners FIRST then start the decent to the plant!

Again I wanted to thank everyone for their help! I have another question I will start a "Help me" thread on in the correct section dealing with dedicated servers.

10. Ronin1973

Ronin1973 Master Engineer

If you look on your HUD, it tells you when you have inertial dampeners on or off. So if you accidentally bump it, you can just double check on your screen. You can also drag your cockpit icon to the toolbar from the G menu. You can also select inertial dampeners on or off as a keybind on the toolbar. The icon will ALSO (more importantly) tell you if they are on and off. Lastly, if you turn your dampeners on or off you get a message that pops up in the center of your screen indicating the last action (turning them on or off).

When in doubt a quick toggle of your dampeners will let you confirm which mode you're in. If you're high enough and do it quickly you shouldn't fall very far.

Oh and pro-tip: if you're flying around the planet, if you bind all your thrusters that are "backwards" into one group then bind that group to your toolbar in on/off. You can turn them off when you're flying forward. If they are off, you don't need to keep your finger on the "W" key to fly forward... just as long as you're not flying with the crosshairs above the horizon bar, you'll maintain or increase speed. You'll also save a ton of power.

11. Renegrade

Renegrade Trainee Engineer

Random aside: I really wish this wasn't necessary. Frontier: Elite II used Newtonian physics (unlike Elite Dangerous, as far as I can see in the gameplay videos. Or shouldn't that be Dangerous: Elite III?), but it had a mode where your ship would use it's thrusters to match your direction of travel with the facing of your ship, while maintaining current (relative) velocity (unless you command a speedup or slowdown). We could use something like that... we wouldn't have to worry about keeping nose level to the horizon or such that way.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.