1. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

Update 01.180.2 Minor - AMD Compatibility Improvements

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Apr 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. MongooseCalledFred

MongooseCalledFred Trainee Engineer

I'm beginning to get the idea that Xocliw is really good at making these puns look worse than they are. That takes serious skill.:tu:

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Ravric

Ravric Apprentice Engineer

"We're also working to make the third-person camera function better with creations that have subgrids so there's less snapping to first-person when rotating the camera around the main grid" -Xocliw

Giggity Giggity soo this will be history:

:tu::D

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Daev

Daev Trainee Engineer

Optimize the shadows !!!:p
    At high settings of 25 fps on the planet
    At medium settings of 27 fps on the planet
    At low settings 29 fps on the planet
    With the shadows turned off - 68 fps on the planet!
    the difference in the two times it's probably a joke!:words:
    Until now the adjustment of shadows does not affect the range of their rendering is always 6 km

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Arcturus

Arcturus Senior Engineer

Something that was done in this update increased the FPS and UPS that I get on planets, and I use a NVIDIA laptop card (not AMD). It has improved enough to feel fun when playing again, so I am trying out a new world. More graphical optimizations would be nice.

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Master Engineer

The advanced rotor is still unreliable, it keeps destroying itself.... can you please make rotors not explode randomly.

Also, I am finding this text hard to read.... You have this terrible glowing object highlight behind glowing text... what is the reasoning behind this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. I23I7

I23I7 ME Tester

Too big. Too complex. You have to work from the bottom to get somewhere. You cant just throw in the most complex blueprint you can think of.

As for the people with issues with AMDs feel free to send me logs.

7. Taemien

Taemien Apprentice Engineer

I think the benchmark should be 16 of those. And the goal to get simspeed to 1.0

A lofty goal is an understatment, but can you imagine the experiences in this game if that were to happen?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Commander Rotal

Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Frankly i'd be content enough in this regard if they unhooked ShipAccelleration from the SimSpeed. She was never agile but ever since that change (same update that tied ShipSpeed to ServerSpeed) she's basically immoveable because of how much moving her craps the bed.

9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Master Engineer

I was trying to raid one of the floating ships, and kept getting murdered by the interior turrets over and over again... I so wish that there was a lean function so the character could lean around a corner instead of presenting the whole players body to be shot every single time.

Just Q and E while holding a weapon to look around corners... first person character movement is still so clunky.. First and third person animations don't match up -__-

My first person shooter reload ocd is killing me so much.........*eye twitches* I need to press R every time....

I was drilling a turret and this missile container fell out and hit the floor making a clunk sound... it would be so funny if in that situation it exploded hehe..

Maybe make volatile objects like this able to receive damage when certain blunt force is applied to them? could be interesting.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. THEphil

THEphil Trainee Engineer

THANK YOU!

For me it's already working a zillion times better, THANK YOU!

11. Forcedminer

Forcedminer Senior Engineer

*for the cover thing against interior turrets.*
    engineer a dandy solution then! :D
    like fly outside the ship and grind the block its on.
    or...build some light armor cover as you move across.
    or build a catway in front of it.
    or disable the ships power.
    or keep throwing your corpse at the gun until it runs out of power/bootlets....then you have outsmarted bullet.

.........wish you could "throw" component explosive. to lay a trap...throw them around a corner near the turret and shoot.....
    oh my.....could mod a gun that uses those explosives as ammo and it launches them like a grenade launcher! :D
    launches them...not makes them explode on contact.

and yes....i really do wish there was reload animations...I too press R way too often thinking there'd be a reload. could add a nice break in ground combat when rifle fighting.

12. WaYa

WaYa Trainee Engineer

Anti-gravity is such an uplifting subjet

13. Harrekin

Harrekin Master Engineer

Game has me again, runs so smoothly...even on a DS.

Went chasing old bugs, most of them very squashed.

In-game programming API is quite different but the good kind of different that I don't mind rewriting scripts for.

Good job, keep it up.

14. Taemien

Taemien Apprentice Engineer

I wonder why @Dawnkeeper thinks the SIM speed should be lower?

15. Lithorn

Lithorn Trainee Engineer

I can no longer play Space Engineers online. Dev branch is gone for me. Game won't connect to any servers, just sits at "Loading" forever. Game will not close down properly anymore, stays open in processes. Whats up?

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Master Engineer

Dev branch does not exist anymore right? it's just the one branch, and updates are marked major or minor.

Try validating the game files, if that doesn't work, try uninstalling the game and reinstalling from scratch.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Leaping Tortoise

Leaping Tortoise Apprentice Engineer

Good job Keen! I haven't been able to play recently as my (admittedly 9yo) computer with AMD C/GPU would absolutely chug but with this update the game is running far smoother! Thank you! I've been hanging on updates until I saw a performance improvement (or got the money for a new computer :p )

18. Harrekin

Harrekin Master Engineer

Anyone else getting a weird bug on DS where User-made factions keep being deleted and the starting factions have loads of "members" with blank names?

Should I file a bug report or is it a "known thing"?

It's literally the only bug/problem we've had since starting the new DS.

I was even standing on top of a friend's drill ship last night with mag boots and no lag while he was drilling/voxels updating/etc. Buttery smooth, colour me impressed.

19. Arcturus

Arcturus Senior Engineer

Had something similar in single player. The spiders join the "auto-accept-everyone" first colonist faction.

20. Harrekin

Harrekin Master Engineer

I made a faction, set to accept all, friend joined.

I logged off, logged back in later and was back in starting faction and he was founder.

I rejoined faction, he logged for a bit then he came back and he was back in starting faction.

Then later we both logged off and when we came back the faction was gone. Made faction again and put an NPC in to see if it helped, eventually NPC was founder and we were back in starting faction.

We gave up and accepted the starting faction as home, luckily we parked away from each other so no blue on blue.

21. eviltek2099

eviltek2099 Apprentice Engineer

faction settings are broke now too? LOL! and WOW!! Are they are running out of things to break so they have to break thing that have been stable for years?

22. Dawnkeeper

Dawnkeeper Apprentice Engineer

I don't. Why should I?

23. Azirahael

Azirahael Apprentice Engineer

I assumed the optimizations were yet to come.
    My big air-carrier used to get .5 - .6 sim speed.

Now, it gets .5 - .6.

What am i doing wrong?

24. Malware

Malware Master Engineer

The optimizations they describe here are yet to come.
    But they are always optimizing something, even if it's not always the big things that deserve specific mentions.

25. Syncaidius

Syncaidius Junior Engineer

For once, I disagree with Malware (sorry!). I think all of the logged changes in an update should be listed in the changelogs, no matter how big/small, because it would help towards making their changelogs more consistent. Almost every week there is at least one bug they've fixed (usually several) that never appears in the changelog, which no doubt leaves some people still waiting for them to fix it and continue to play other games, because they're unaware its actually fixed.

Sometimes its the complete opposite, such as last weeks update. The changelog and update video both mention "Improved AMD compatibility" but they don't say how or what exactly. I've yet to see any improvements regarding it, if there were any to do in the first place, but that's because I have no idea where to look without at least some basic details. Many of the changelogs are extremely vague. We end up with things like "Fixed crash in physics", "Fixed UI bugs". What part of them was fixed? What did it cause? A crash? Duped items? Deleted ships? What triggered the bug?

When there are 10 different crash bugs in say, physics, telling us they've fixed "a crash bug" in physics is extremely unhelpful. Obviously the fix itself is appreciated, but we still have to go testing ourselves to find out which crash bug was fixed, which takes some enjoyment out of what is meant to be a game. I don't think I'm alone when I say that I just play the game and hope/prey/beg to clang that Keen "maybe" fixed the bug that stopped me playing previously.

Again, with last week's update they went on to say that they've been testing performance improvements on an i5 system with a GTX 970, in an update titled "Improved AMD compatibility". What part of that is AMD? What generation of I5? There's a big difference between a 2011 i5 and a 2016 i5. People on older i5s who are less technically minded will assume Keen mean all i5 CPUs and go "great!", then jump in game and see their performance is not as great as Keen are demonstrating. Again, thanks to the vagueness.

The shadow/flashing bug was happening on both Nvidia and AMD GPUs, so I doubt that had anything to do with AMD compatibility, maybe it did. Who knows. But that's exactly my point.

Much of the time its very confusing trying to keep track of what Keen have improved, fixed or broken in an update. Don't get me wrong, they're doing a good job with updating each week and improving performance, but the changelogs and details of the updates is generally a mess. I'm used to it, like many others here. But newer players will likely go "wtf?" and just not play for months at a time, on the assumption that a bug that stopped them playing has still not been fixed.

EDIT: I'm aware that we can revert to older versions via steam, but many bugs end up persisting across said versions, so switching branch generally doesn't help much of the time.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 4
  26. Malware

Malware Master Engineer

No you don't, because I didn't make any kind of statement about my opinion about this, I simply stated facts about how things are ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  27. Anunnaki Nibiru

Anunnaki Nibiru Trainee Engineer

In my case, the difference between shadows detail level are also 2-9fps (from HIGH to LOW).
    But when I turn them OFF completly, it improves from 14-50fps to more 70-160fps!!! that means that SHADOWS are very badly implemented (or there is BUG) and should be fixed with high priority.
    Right now, we are unable to use SHADOWS at all, because so huge performance drop.
    --- Automerge ---
    This problem is here for few months with us, and is still not fixed.
    KEEN, why you are wasting time to fix other "symbolic" not important bugs, and you are not fixing IMPORTANT BUGS like this one? This should have MAXIMUM POSSIBLE PRIORITY!!!

PS: sometimes, some LCD panels are suddenly showing whole picture OK, and even sometimes, picture from DIFFERENT LCD!!! Please, look into it, it seems that the game is mixing LCD outputs.

28. LostSoul3471

LostSoul3471 Trainee Engineer

What sucks is that shadow settings does absolutely nothing to the LCD issue neither does any AA settings. It was dumb luck that I took a screen shot pre-patch and took no effort to get a post patch shot as well to illustrate that the AMD optimization had no effect on this. With very few mentions of this bug, I can only assume that it's limited to just AMD GPUs. The low/anti bloom mod helps in reading working LCDs but give it a few minutes and the artifacts will be back and flattening effect of the mod makes the noise on top of the LCD even more unreadable. And you read that right, the noise ends up as the top most layer when the LCD is rendered.

In any case, they have the logs so it's up to them to get it sorted out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. Harrekin

Harrekin Master Engineer

If you guys think performance is bad now, you should've tried it a year or two ago.

Current version is like a different game quality wise.

You used to get lag if you even approached an asteroid, God forbid you turn a drill on.

Now I can walk around on top of someone else's drills with mag boots while they're drilling and it's flawless, 75fps, 60UPS, 1.0 Sim.

There'll be bugs but they're obviously working hard, we can disagree on priorities but not on the workload.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  30. Anunnaki Nibiru

Anunnaki Nibiru Trainee Engineer

Yes it is true, before the game was hardly playable in SinglePlayer ... and absolutly unplayable in MultiPlayer. So developers made huge progress in terms of performance and far more in MultiPlayer synchronization/smoothness. I am just pointing out one remaining performance issue, which is still there and hase HUGE impact on performance, and also not working displays is big problem when you play. That is all.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.