1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

[1.180.4] Extreme, never ending sim-speed lag spikes in terminal UI screen.

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by jerry060599, May 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. jerry060599

jerry060599 Trainee Engineer

Whenever I go into the terminal screen or anything under it (programming blocks, custom data, Lcd public text), my sim speed tanks to as low as 0.1~ from never ending lags spikes that happen about once every second or two. Holy hell is this annoying. I have been putting up with this **** for the past three weeks or so of game play and for the holy love of clang please fix this soon.

Here is a video showing what I mean:

I accidentally recorded in 1080p but my actual resolution is 2560x1080

Here is the log for that session:

Here is a Reddit thread about it:

Here are my system specs:
    Windows 10 x64
    i7 6700HQ.
    GTX 970m.
    3440x1440 monitor, though it happens both in 3440x1440 and 2560x1080.
    16GB ram

Please fix this soon T_T. Its making the game so freaking frustrating that I can't really do anything but build.

On another note: Why is it that the game can't remember what resolution I last set the game to run at in the settings. When I click "OK", it should have saved the setting right? How is it resetting back to native resolution every time the game is restarted?

Also, when you go to select a resolution, the drop down list doesn't tell you anything about the refresh rate. If you look at the display adapter part of the log, there is obviously many different options for refresh rates, but all I get in the actually game is ten identical listings for 2560x1080 and 3440x1440. If the refresh rate is controlled else where for example VSync, why are there duplicate options at all?

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Jas

Jas Apprentice Engineer

confirmed, playing whit terminal is very hard, slow input, even the keybind respond whit extreme latency even whit no terminal opened; try to on/off power, lights, landing gear, everything has slow response or no response and batteries are completely crazy ... :(

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. CaD

CaD Apprentice Engineer

Yeah, me to for the last few weeks terminal has been hard to use. slow and laggy and the more I use it the slower it gets. It gets so slow I have to leave and log in to terminal again and again and again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I23I7

I23I7 ME Tester

Hey so this would happen on any ship of any kind or just specific blueprints?

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Jas

Jas Apprentice Engineer

it is hard to determine because it happens not always, but yes it seems to degrade performance over time ... ok need to testing more

6. I23I7

I23I7 ME Tester

ALright if you find out more tag me :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. jerry060599

As far as I can tell, it has about an 90% chance of happening in a session. It would effect every terminal in that session until I restart the game, after which there is another 90% chance it will happen. If it doesn't happen, the game would play as normal.

8. I23I7

I23I7 ME Tester

Right but does it matter how many terminals i am using?

9. radar

radar Trainee Engineer

I think I experiencing the issue mentioned here also.

I start SE, load the save in question. Outside of a menu all is fine running at 70-90FPS, constant 60 UPS and SS 1.0. I enter the Terminal (k/i), and first nothing is noticeable. I see FPS even getting up a little, UPS/SS stays at the same values. A slight dropping in UPS/SS is noticeable, reocuring in ~1.5 second intervals. This regular minor drop seems a like it is increasing in frequency and amplitude, then after ~20 seconds UPS/SS start to drop rapidly. While before UPS/SS could recover to 60/1.0 again, now they only recover to 95%, and then only to 90% and so on. There seems no end to that.

If I manage to get an keypress through and close the menu, UPS/SS recover nearly immediately.

So I got through that session and first removed all mods. No effect.
    Then I got through all powered grids and depowered them. That where quite some, relative to my normal play. I had a creative SP session with no block restrictions running for a while. Also my system is quite not up to date.

After all grids where powered down, the snowballing UPS drop was also gone. I then powered all grids while checking for the drops to occur again. I singled it down to a fleet of 6 small ships all fitted with a small-to-large-grid-rotor-construct to hold large spotlights.

I think the limiting factor is number of grids basically. While grids powered and able to move weigh heavier. And grids with "special" intergrid connection like my slightly askew rotor constructs most possibly weigh even more heavier.

After cutting of the 6 flying large/small grids I could paste 15 more of the same type (only small grid) without noticing drops. But while dropping more and more grids into the game I could see at around 30 more grids drops in UPS/SS, but it was not snowballing like before. It started to kinda fluctuate stable below 60/1.0.

Now while this helps me now, it still seems strange to me. What is it that when entering terminal (k/i, any other tab also) that lag gets so pronounced? Seems kinda counterintuitive.

Sorry for the expose, hope it helps.

Edit: I did not want to diminish this issue, I still think there is something happening that could be probably solved much better than now.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  10. I23I7

I23I7 ME Tester

Yes we have some optimization going your way that should help with multiple grids being in one world. But this report was about being in the Terminal screen causes sim speed lag spikes.

11. radar

radar Trainee Engineer

Mine too. I was just also telling what my thoughts about the cause (multiples of grid) and what one can do to mitigate it (reduce grids). Because I really don't think it is just being about being in terminal. It only shows there first. Maybe the game is changing the importance of certain calculations when changing from normal to terminal view. And it seems like I can influence the severity of the issue by changing the number of grids.

But the extent I can influence it seems lesser than I thought. All in all this is a very annoying issue.

Edit: Narf. I meant (multiples of non-stationary grids).

Edit: Just wanted to add, the "annoying" was strictly directed to experiencing the issue. Like in grading the severity. Not meant as an insult.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  12. I23I7

I23I7 ME Tester

Its cool right now we made a test on the new branch with a lot of grids with different active blocks and were able to play without any lagging happening so this issue will soon have some sort fix out... hopefully.... most likely :D

13. radar

radar Trainee Engineer

Thank you for the info. I hope you succeed. That would be a big step if it works out. Sorry for the conjunctive, but, you know :D

14. I23I7

I23I7 ME Tester

:)

15. jerry060599

This is still happening in the latest version 1.181.059... :(

16. I23I7

I23I7 ME Tester

Thats unfortunate. In that case please send me your save file and ill send it to the programmer if i can get the sim speed drop as well. :(

17. jerry060599

Here is the world file:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=941518897

The world I have provided is one of my throw away rnd worlds. It is but one of many worlds I have that exhibit this behavior. It doesn't seem to happen on brand new worlds, only worlds that I have been playing on for more than a few days, which kinda very much sucks. :/

18. I23I7

I23I7 ME Tester

Hey,

I load up the world go into the terminal and wait for about 15 minutes if is start having any lags but none. Any other more heavier worlds for me to try?

19. jerry060599

There are suspicions that this is a hardware specific bug, so it may be difficult to reproduce. I did include my system spec in the post and the logs for that might help. There was one thing that I forgot to include in the original post, though. This doesn't seem to happen when i'm playing on multiplayer. It only happens if i'm running the world on my machine, regardless of online settings. Here is my old survival world, which also has the bug:

20. radar

radar Trainee Engineer

15 Minutes is too long IMO. I and two other users I talked on reddit had it happening at ~90 seconds being into terminal. It could also happen later on, but when it happened I had always small simspeed spikes in the beginning already that started to fluctuate more and more. I will load up my world file where I had it happen also.

I still have the hunch that it is somethings with gridcount. I would maybe try to just copy and paste the most prominent ship grid in the world maybe sometimes and check if that's triggers.

Just for comparison, my specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom IIx4 @3.2 Ghz
    RAM: 8GB @1033 Mhz
    GRAFICS: AMD RAdeon R9 200 4GB RAM

21. Sea_Kerman

Sea_Kerman Trainee Engineer

Whenever I open the K menu, the game starts lagging horribly. As in "can't move anything around in the inventory without holding down LMB for 5 seconds" laggy. As soon as I exit the menu, the lag stops.

22. Roxette

Roxette Senior Engineer

I'm also seeing extremely slow inventory transfer in multiplayer, only player on the server, sim speed steady at 1 ... 4-6 seconds for a single inventory item to transfer after drag/drop, and have to wait for that to happen before a second one will work... not good.

23. Forcedminer

Forcedminer Senior Engineer

does it only happen first time on loading?

i get that when i first load into the world.
    its funny because if i click the game freezes and if i click again it will say SE is now responding
    it could then come back but then SE will close itself.

in that case they could load those assets so this doesn't happen but oh well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

24. jerry060599

Any news on this? Have you been able to reproduce this? This is still happening to me with the latest 1.181.2 build. Common... I haven't been able to play single player for OVER A MONTH.

25. Roxette

Roxette Senior Engineer

A few hours later, all the servers that had been showing this problem were back to full performance, with no manual action having been taken...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  26. I23I7

I23I7 ME Tester

Wait so the issue aint happening anymore?

27. Roxette

Roxette Senior Engineer

No, very strange, I tested and saw the effect on a number of servers on different hosting sites, but not on others. I investigated and could see no reason or common factor, restarted my servers a couple of times with no effect, gave it up, then returned later to find them performing perfectly as expected. Nothing showing in the logs to indicate any problem or changes.

28. I23I7

I23I7 ME Tester

Alright moving on to pistons.

29. I23I7

I23I7 ME Tester

Yes i finally made a repro for it and it has just now been put in as a report!

30. Arcwolf

Arcwolf Trainee Engineer

Unfortunately this has not been mysteriously fixed. It still is an issue. However, I believe it can be traced to having too many grids in a world. In a creative world I've been using I have noticed my Terminal becomes unresponsive after it is open for only a brief few moments. Like 10 seconds. When you open the terminal you can observe the Simulation speed, Server simulation speed and UPS begin to pulse slower and slower until you reach teens or even sub teens sim speed and UPS. Also during this the game memory begins to climb. Every few seconds a few more Mb are consumed until the GC cleans up the memory. I've taken it up to at least 120mb before the GC cleaned it. I assume it will keep going. From my own personal programming experience this to me seems like it might be a run away Recursive loop. The deeper is goes the slower it gets and the more memory it consumes. At the very least its a run away loop of some kind.

I have uploaded the world save where for me this is 100% reproducible to dropbox:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/cw10j3bya1o3n6x/2017-06-19 195406.7z?dl=0

Load up the world and go to the info tab you will see 100's if not many 100's of grids, mostly ranging from 1 to 100's of blocks from detritus caused by crashing different ships into the planet. I've been neglecting to clean up after myself. The inventory window, indeed the whole terminal window will begin to slow to a crawl. Not registering clicks etc. If you leave it open long enough clicks wont even be registered to close the window. You will have to hold ESC for upwards of 10 seconds to get it to close. But once it does. Sim speeds return to 1.00 and a UPS of 60. Next, if you run the space master cleanup routine, I set all check-boxes and to cleanup all grids greater then 1 meter with grids less then 99999 blocks. This clears everything in the world. The tick rate and inventory issues resolves instantly and the game will not have any issue leaving the terminal open for hours.

Of note doing this does not remove the items from the terminal info panel list showing all player owned grids. Those are now unremovable clicking their X does nothing. Alternatively, if you dont use the space master tool you can click each individual item deleting them one at a time. But you will be fighting the super slow terminal window the whole time and you will wear out your mouse button. An exercise in patience for sure.

In any case, I also believe this "too many grid" issue may be the reason some servers seem to mysteriously fix themselves. Admins have the cleanup routine running at some specified interval thus clearing out a significant portion of the junk grids. The inventory issue resolves itself until the grid clutter become too much at some later date.

My system specs if it matters.

Core i5 4460
    16Gb DDR3 Ram
    GeForce 1070 GTX
    Windows 8 64bit
    Display Resolution 1920x1200
    Game Version 1.181.203

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.