1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

[1.179 to 1.179.2] all batteries completely broken [fixed since 1.180 ?]

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Tigerstripe, Apr 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Tigerstripe

Tigerstripe Apprentice Engineer

Observed in survival single-player, standard solar system world.

Numerous severe and/or game-breaking bugs with the batteries, including:
    1. Cannot charge as a group anymore: they charge one at a time, and only when set to Recharge mode.
    2. Appear to have difficulty drawing any power from solar panels.
    3. Appear to be prioritized as a power source above reactors now, so they don't charge from reactors anymore.
    4. Once depleted, they cannot be recharged.
    5. Once fully charged, they are no longer treated as a power source.
    6. Batteries set to "recharge" do not draw power from other batteries without this restriction.
    1 is annoying, but it's at least tolerable.
    2 is a serious hindrance for any solar-powered object.
    3 mandates solar panels on everything that has batteries.
    4 is a terrible waste of blocks, and the resources needed to destroy & replace the power cells every time.
    5 completely breaks all battery-powered vehicles, especially aircraft, and is by far the most game-breaking bug on this list. (I now have a small fleet of aircraft that are illogically grounded.)
    6 makes it impossible to charge up the batteries on a small ship from a battery-powered station; the station or the small ship must have an active reactor, our you must wait for the station's solar panels to slowly trickle power into the charging batteries.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. DopePope

DopePope Trainee Engineer

3. Tigerstripe

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. ComradeWithers

ComradeWithers Trainee Engineer

Thank you for creating a new thread. This is a severe game breaking problem. And I can confirm all these problems in my game as well. These problems have been accuring for over two months.

5. Bumber

Bumber Senior Engineer

1. Well, you can have them charge off each other (without losing charge) if they're in recharge mode. Yet another bug.
    2. I think you need more solar output than battery input to get them to work. Turning some batteries off might help.
    3. Haven't run into this issue. I've used reactors to successfully jump-start batteries into discharging or drawing off solar.
    4. Haven't run into this issue. They just seem to be low priority unless set to manual recharge.
    5. Requires server restart / save reload.

Yeah, they're a complete mess. Worse, we might be stuck with them for quite a while if they decide to redo the power system before releasing a temporary fix.

6. Tigerstripe

Still broken in 1.179.2 minor. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. XkyDiver

XkyDiver Apprentice Engineer

To add to this, on Dedicated Servers: Reading IMyBatteryBlock.CurrentStoredPower seems to be set on client log-in, and not updated. In single player, you can read IMyBatteryBlock.CurrentStoredPower accurately; on Dedicated Server, the value seems to be set to whatever it was upon client log-in. Re-logging will update the value. Very frustrating for scripts!

8. GigAHerZ

GigAHerZ Trainee Engineer

... and solar panels with batteries are completely broken: https://forums.keenswh.com/threads/1-172-ds-sp-solar-double-energy-cost.7392946/

In a space game, that should pretty much have #1 priority. Space game without working solar panels and batteries? Really?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tigerstripe

Added #6 bug to the list (see first post).

Connected ship batteries, set to recharge, cannot draw power from batteries in the station/mothership. This means you can't dock your little ship, set it to recharge, and quickly charge up from the huge battery bank on your home base; your base, or the little ship you just docked, needs to have another active power source (nuclear or a huge solar surplus) to charge those batteries.

10. Bumber

Bumber Senior Engineer

Did you try setting the battery bank to discharge? IIRC, batteries aren't supposed to charge other batteries unless the discharge box is checked.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  11. Tigerstripe

Since when has this ever been the case? Batteries set to recharge are supposed to draw as much power from the grid and all connected grids until they are full... and batteries left at the standard setting are supposed to store power when there is a surplus, and discharge automatically as needed when demand exceeds supply. That's been the proper and expected behavior since I started playing, way back around 1.030 alpha... so when it breaks, it's very noticeable.

But yes, I did try setting the station batteries to discharge, and the ship attempting to charge only ignored them. Both sets of batteries were about mid-level charged, so the fully-discharged and fully-charged bugs were not in effect.

Batteries are just flat-out broken right now. :(

12. hlws

hlws Tester Staff

Hi guys,
    Thank you very much for your feedback. The batteries are getting tested and the issues fixed one by one. If you find anything new about them, every info is very welcomed.
    Your feedback is making the game better, thank you :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Bumber

Bumber Senior Engineer

I'm probably misremembering. Could have been someone's speculation back during early sub-grid charging issues.

In that case, I've had some success with turning on a reactor to start the recharge, then turning it off.

14. Tigerstripe

In my case, I was forced to leave some reactors on the aircraft running, to recharge the batteries. Luckily, the ship was designed with a nuclear auxiliary power system to prevent overloads, prolong flight time, and facilitate autonomous recharging.

But, in light of all the recent and continuing issues with batteries, I have been designing a new fleet of vehicles that are primarily or totally nuclear-powered, to avoid dependency on batteries (which tend to develop bugs with disturbing regularity; this cycle being among the worst).

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. gchristopher

gchristopher Apprentice Engineer

Yep, batteries are definitely still in a bad way right now. (1.180)

16. Tofuriot

Tofuriot Trainee Engineer

Can you be more articulate for those that haven't had a chance to test every aspect yet? So far checking the boxes for recharge makes the battery recharge consistently and also stop recharging when the box is unchecked which is an improvement since last update in my limited play.

17. Tigerstripe

Can anybody confirm these bugs are still occurring since 1.180.022?
    Batteries appear to be working normally again for me (in survival single-player).

Bugs 3, 4, 5, and 6 may have been fixed. I have been unable to duplicate those glitches since the last update.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  18. XkyDiver

XkyDiver Apprentice Engineer

Dedicated servers still only report IMyBattery.CurrentStoredPower based on client login, not updating.

19. GigAHerZ

Just tested, this bug is still present: (Solar panels' output is 0, if they are not able to power the ship completely independently)

20. GigAHerZ

Since 1.180.1 it seems to be fixed, when i quickly looked at it right now.

At the same time, there's another bug, that has been reported here, that on some cases, batteries can charge themselves "from the air" with no power source.

21. Spets

Spets Master Engineer

are batteries still broken?
    playing survival Escape from Mars, the batteries seems to be turned off, even though they are On? and don't recharge either?

22. Jas

Jas Apprentice Engineer

batteries in default mode are crazy for me, if i apply a load and then off that load then that load become input o.O so for example i can recharge a battery from nothing if i turn on a large thruster whit max override and then shut-down the thruster the energy drain from the thruster become the input of the battery ... is a bit hard to explain, but it seems batteries receive in input the last power output spike just before to go down to zero (shutting down a system) so for example if i rest a second in the cockpit and then i exit i can have some Watt in input (around 12W, the suit load maybe, or the difference from the idle power load and the suit load).
    Switchin recharge on/off whit no other power-input sources reset battery input to zero

23. I23I7

I23I7 ME Tester

Alright so can i get a brief description of the issue plaguing batteries then? I made a really simple shit with a gyro,landing gear,battery,generator for oxy and gyro and thrusters. All small grid. Flew around until i exhausted the battery.

It did not recharge itself.

Set the battery to recharge and added a solar panel. The battery charged fine. Set the battery to discharge and grinded down the solar panel. Flew around a bit more and added the solar panel after the battery consumed a bit of its own power. It did not recharge due to being set to discharge.

I know some fixes were done to the batteries but i really need simply explained cases and not paragraphs that get a bit complex to understand without visual aids.

Anyway if you have any issues with batteries happening on a vanilla version of th game.

24. Tigerstripe

I haven't had any issues with batteries since the 1.180 update. They have consistently worked normally for me since then, with all six items in the OP list resolved. In all my testing and gameplay since, I have not encountered any of those issues again... which is certainly a very good thing.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  25. I23I7

I23I7 ME Tester

Awesome just asking around if the batteries are working as intended now.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.