1. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

loose wires to connect Generators and Solar to base.

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Falidell, May 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Falidell

Falidell Apprentice Engineer

It would be very nice to connect solar farms to your base via loose wire(think half-life 2) rather than by blocks; or even transmitted power via some sort or satellite(it is the future who knows) or something that doesn't require direct connection via blocks

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. odizzido

odizzido Junior Engineer

I think remote power could be pretty good gameplay wise. Sixty years is a long time too so I can easily see things which people think are impossible now being possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. ViroMan

ViroMan Senior Engineer

4. ViroMan

ViroMan Senior Engineer

lol @Vanae Alcarus for just popping in out of no where and disagreeing with 3 of my posts and offering no explanations or counter ideas.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. sioxernic

sioxernic Senior Engineer

@ViroMan ... He doesn't need to explain...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ViroMan

ViroMan Senior Engineer

hmm... that is true, you don't have to explain why you do/don't like or agree with something simply because you may not know why yourself or because the reason is obvious. Perhaps even because you simply don't care enough to explain. And its not like someone can force another to share reasons why they do or don't do things from over the internet (not reasonably anyways).

I guess I sort of just expect someone to explain the points of view they hold to stimulate conversation or ideas.

Anyways I just found it funny. That is all. I did not mean to "condemn" his actions or lack there of.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. tmike

tmike Apprentice Engineer

I do like the idea of wireing and stuff....

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. sioxernic

sioxernic Senior Engineer

@ViroMan I find that a little funny as you have been one of the people that have been outspoken against me when I explain why I disagree ;)

9. Jappards200

Jappards200 Apprentice Engineer

There is already something similar to wires in Medieval Engineers: Ropes. Ropes can be easily ported into SE, but why would they have to be loose?

10. tmike

tmike Apprentice Engineer

I would actually like to see a few others things ported over form Midieval, cmpound buiding, (I have often wanted to put more then one thing in a plack space) and the way they do walls, What if I dont want a 1.5 meter thick wall. an out side wall on a space ship or station might make since but in side the ship the wall between the capts caben and the word room for example? what of i want to save what on my corvett to make give it a higer accel and more moverablaty? its a corvette there not known for armer. being built for commers protection agest other light unites mostly... its not ment to take on any thing larger then a destoryer,

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Falidell

Thanks! i'll use that.

still kinda like the aesthetics of loose wires.

they don't need to be loose loose something like the rope drum from ME would work perfectly fine with me

EDIT:
    maybe have a range of oh i dunno(throwing numbers out there) say 20m-50m then you'd have to make a relay node using regular ol blocks attached to the wires?

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  12. IPD

IPD Apprentice Engineer

KEEN MODERATOR LISTEN TO US!!! WE wANT TheSE AND WE WANT MORE BUGFIXES

13. Malware

Malware Master Engineer

@ViroMan I think you can make the safe assumption that the disagreement is about the fact that there's always someone suggesting mods where the original suggestion 80% of the time is a wish for an addition to vanilla.

There are those of us who find the modding side of things a negative. There's a feeling that certain things don't get the proper consideration because "meh, they can just mod it". However the game should not be finished with mods. Mods are extensions, not completion. The game needs to be able to stand on its own without mods.

For us the "there's a mod for that" response becomes an automatic trigger. Some people are tiring of explaining this again and again, and thus they don't bother to do so - and we might not necessarily see that you're simply suggesting a workaround - which is quite valid, and even helpful.

They know we want bugfixes. There are bugfixes every single week. They have only so many hours a day ;) However also know we want optimizations. And those have a tendency to introduce new bugs, especially when they try to introduce multithreading which is notoriously difficult.

Oh, by the way, the moderators can't do much about that - they don't work for Keen, they're forum volunteers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Forcedminer

Forcedminer Senior Engineer

number 1 reason i want wires in SE.

it'd be fun and tactical to attach a wire to a ship and station and see how much damage it can do

15. IPD

IPD Apprentice Engineer

....... now i'm just embarrassed.....

16. Forcedminer

Forcedminer Senior Engineer

space engineers can be frustrating at times.

....wolfs for example...still have the engineer shaped hitboxes. :|
    ether that or the crosshairs are still off....
    they need some tlc but with combustion engineers,windpower and wheels getting a look at it seems unlikely.

17. Vanae Alcarus

Vanae Alcarus Trainee Engineer

It should not matter. I simply didn't like what you said. Take it with a grain of salt, or get off the internet. Stop trying to single me out on a public forum, and stop being divisive.

Edit: And sioxernic was right. I'm not obligated to leave a response. I simply don't agree.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Falidell

so wires how should they work if they become a thing? if cut break at cut point become 2 separate wires that dangle about
    OR keep the wire intact but have sparky effects at point of breakage possibility of repair?
    OR just for simplicity sake disappear.

thoughts?

19. Saberwulfy

Saberwulfy Apprentice Engineer

who care with energy? who care with wires?
    I want steel cables!
    I WANT TO CAME LIKE A WRECKING BALL! I NEVER HIT SO HARD IN SHIPS!

20. IPD

IPD Apprentice Engineer

Wrecking ball in space = New asteroid floating forever with no escape

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.