1. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

Idea regarding "Liquids" on Planets

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by nubeees, Jul 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. nubeees

nubeees Trainee Engineer

So I was brainstorming a little today on the fact that Space Engineers oceans are made of colored ice, and how dynamic water seems just about impossible to reasonably do within the game's engine, and an idea came to mind.

I'll just use water as an example liquid, but you could probably get more creative on, say, the alien planet or titan.

So why not treat the ocean like a layer of atmosphere? Something similar to a layer of "Clouds" could give the ocean a surface shader so you can tell where sea level is.

Pros:
    • Probably wouldn't be difficult to make O2 level underwater low or none.
    • "Water" could be pumped around, just like gasses, possibly using a new type of vent. (I still think it would be funny if you could fill a room with hydrogen and have it become explosive. :p)
    • Could place some resources on the bottom of oceans, giving the player an incentive to explore down there.
    • Maybe atmospheric thrusters could become useless when submerged? Although, adding a new type of thruster to the game might be a little much.
    • This system would not be too intensive and slow the game to a crawl.
    • Bond villain underwater lairs can be a thing.
    Cons:
    • Would have to make some form of "buoyancy" factor based on the ship's mass and volume. Not sure if this is a pro or con, because maybe this would open the way for blimps and such?
    • Water would not be dynamic. Sea-level is a set height.
    • If you get a hull breach in your submarine-spaceship, the room is either completely full of water, or not full of water. There is no inbetween since it is treated as a gas.
    • Would need some form movement for the player when underwater? Then again, space suits are sort of heavy, so sinking is reasonable.
    • New blocks = messier interface
    • If you dig down you will end up with an undrainable hole of water

Any thoughts on this idea? :D

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Sinbad

Sinbad Senior Engineer

add a con:
    if you start on land and dig straight down to below sea level, you get flooded and can't pump it dry.
    planet nomads uses this kind of water, and I have to admit, the above con sucks hard.

3. Malware

Malware Master Engineer

This idea has been brought up many times as well as all the other variants. I doubt there's any water variant not discussed at this time. It was rejected by a big part of the community as not good enough, amongst other reasons for what Sinbad mentioned. Also; Keen has given a hard no. Not the soft no of the planets as "we don't think we can do this", but the hard no of "we will not spend time on this". There will not be liquid water. They've even added an autoresponse for this to the discord chat.

Sorry.

• Like Like x 1
  4. nubeees

nubeees Trainee Engineer

Ah, makes sense. I figured I'd post a thread after a quick search of the forums yielded no helpful results.

Despite this topic probably being closed, thats a great point which I'll add.

5. Malware

Malware Master Engineer

@nubeees There's nothing wrong in discussing the topic, I just tend to make sure the posters know that the discussion is very likely to be useless as far as Keen and real implementation goes. :)

6. Syncaidius

Syncaidius Junior Engineer

Given how much the game struggles to handle what we already have in a coherent way (rotors, pistons, MP, stability, AI, etc), I doubt we'll ever see proper liquids.

The most we could possibly get is a bog-standard spherical water table for planets, which wouldn't really fit into the gameplay without a bunch of others features (buoyancy, water-tightness, etc).

On a side note, anyone interested in building boats/ships/submarines, give From the Depths a try if you haven't already. It's basically SE in water, with buoyancy. Everything is modular, right down to your engines and weapons. It simulates flooding of rooms, realistic thrust/propulsion, engines, fuel, etc. Disclaimer: You can also build flyers.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  7. nubeees

nubeees Trainee Engineer

FTD is pretty fun. Although, it hasn't had any sort of update in a suspiciously long time...

This idea basically started as "how could SE implement water without turning my laptop into a molten puddle of plastic"
    You could probably also give, say, the titan moon some methane oceans which could be neat. I would say the europa moon could have an ocean under the ice, however I do not think generating planets with a hollow layer in SE is possible. (Unfortunate because I sorta wanna make a planet with floating islands)

8. Greyson_XMG

Greyson_XMG Apprentice Engineer

I like it. But make any extra blocks an add on.

Having water as something that would swallow up ( and deleete ) a crashed ship is much more simple than a submarine.

Besides, there are games for submarines. Water works well enough as quicksand.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.