1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

Suit Mechanics and how would they fit in the game?

Discussion in 'General' started by SirConnery, Jan 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. SirConnery

SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

Would having different kind of suits fit into the game. Here's what I'm proposing.

3 different suits. Space Suit, Civilian Outfit, Pilot outfit

1. Space Suit
    - Same as now, except
    - Unable to use cockpits (can still use control seats)
    - Unable to use hand held guns

2. Civilian Outfit
    - In Pressurized areas no energy loss
    - Faster walk/run speed
    - At depressurization instant death
    - No Jetpack

3. Combat Outfit
    - Smaller oxygen/hydrogen/energy reserves than space suit
    - Faster walk/run than in space suit

• Like Like x 1
  2. Stardriver907

Stardriver907 Master Engineer

My question is, does the game currently support skin-dependent characteristics? Currently different skins don't affect anything, so I'm guessing "suit mechanics" would require some code amendments?

3. Sarekh

Sarekh Senior Engineer

AFAIK they do to an extend. There are mods in the workshop that have suits that disable your jetpack. Additionally, in the beginning of pressurization, taking off the helmet was switching to "just" another type of suit without the helmet. You could even do so in the medbay. I suppose that they have not switched the function (suit type connected to status) but rather how it is displayed (animated visor thingy).

4. Stardriver907

Yeah. There were a lot of suit mods back when you could take off the helmet. Then that changed and now it seems the best that can be done is disable the jet pack. I figured suit mods were common then Keen changed things and so now it ain't easy, if not impossible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ShadedMJ

ShadedMJ Apprentice Engineer

"3 different suits. Space Suit, Civilian Outfit, Pilot outfit"

I liked the idea for a second, but then didn't. It reminded me of a discussion story that the engineer cannot be the same person as you or I because the engineer _without_helmet_ can see the location of an unknown signal as it rolls down the far side of a hill, so the engineer must have some eye augmentation or something.

Anyway, I don't like the idea because of different cultures needing civilian outfits. I'm already think 95% of the space suit skins are ugly or shouldn't be in the game. Now add a million civilian outfits and pilot outfits.

6. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

It doesn't matter what suit I wear...I'm always going commando... ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Stardriver907

Here's the thing: Keen's "civilian" outfit would be the space suit as you know it, minus the jet pack, helmet, gloves and boots. A more ambitious outfit might exchange the space suit for a "jump suit". In any event, What I personally am suggesting is what is found in virtually every other space game, and that is a full-body garment meant to be worn inside an EVA suit. Space work clothes. I'm not talking about jeans and T shirts. I'm not talking about lederhosen or jalabas. Generic space jump suits.

Modders can make that other stuff.

Which means it absolutely DOES matter what suit you are wearing. The less we know, the better.

8. doncdxx

doncdxx Apprentice Engineer

I like the idea, though I'd prefer a slight difference.

Space Suit
    -like current, but with worse flight on planets

Planet suit
    -like current, but can't fly in space

Combat suit
    -instead of less stored energy/oxygen, just damage reduction and slower movement

Civilian suit
    -like you stated, except make this the default outfit and all other suit types need to be crafted and wear out and need be repaired or replaced

Suit wear and tear would be awesome. Especially with space suits wearing on planets quicker and little stuff like that. In general, I'd just like to see more character scale content.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Spaceman Spiff

Don't forget a leisure suit...to wear in the lounge after work!

10. Stardriver907

Stop giving my crew ideas about abstract concepts such as "after work".

11. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Master Engineer

Or having a default suit, then the suit has slots / attachment points on it that you view via a suit menu and you would be able to add different things onto the suit to have various functions not present on the default suit.

It would be interesting if these different things that can be added to the player's suit would be able to be found within the game world and added to the players suit by opening / bringing up a suit management menu screen, I guess kind of like a T-Pose image of the suit showing the various areas on the suit to attach / upgrade / swap out the different modules of a suit, the little data pad on the suits arm could be the thing the player is looking at, opening up the menu makes the arm come up and you look at it like a menu, I guess one comparison would be how the Pip-Boy is opened up in the Fallout video game series.

Maybe the player can even purchase blueprints for suit parts so the player can then build the item inside owned assembler?

I kind of like the idea of finding the items, or purchasing the items from a station or maybe AI ship trader?.. that way the player has a bit more, how would you say it...... incentive to not die because the player would be losing the items on the suit because when the player is re spawned / pooped out of the medbay printing machine the players new body would then be inside a default suit again, if that makes sense?

Ability to "Loot" other player or npc "please add npc"...ability to loot the upgrade components from dead character's suit so you can take it for your own.

What kind of attachments of suit upgrades could there be? feel free to add any ideas If you read this and you have one..

Maybe ability to add extra armor to parts of the suit, making the suit a bit more durable when being shot or "my main cause of death" flying into an object at speeds higher than zero.... the downside would of course be a much heavier suit, slower walking on a planet, harder to fly within gravity, longer time to get up to speed when in space

Better suit thrusters, more efficient, burns less fuel, slower acceleration, weaker to damage?

Night vision, ability to see better in dark areas, blinding if turned on in the light, uses suit energy when turned on.

Extra battery slot's on the suit to add extra batteries, longer duration for energy, downside higher weight.

Radio upgrade, longer range radio signal with the suit, downside would be higher energy usage.

One thing that I absolutely hate about the game currently, is that the players tools and weapons are stored in the component inventory, making it frustrating to equip a tool or weapon or the various variants of tools / weapons, it would be nice if the suit itself had attachment areas so you can put the weapon or tool you want attached onto the suit "not inside a bag / suit inventory".. so.. like.. the tool / weapon then is readily available without having to fumble inside the menu to pic out which one as it shows you every kind in the game but only the one you have is selectable, does that make sense? I feel like I'm not explaining it good enough, basically tool weapon separate from items / resources.

Visor zoom attachment, basically adding ability to zoom in a bit like you can with the camera.

The thing that I don't like about the current suit "skins", is that they are boring... they are essentially the same suit, there is no difference other than how it looks, if suits were actually different then that would be interesting in my opinion.

It would be kind of cool to be able to see what tools or weapons another player has by seeing them attached to a players suit.

For attachments to also change how the player looks visually from the outside, that also would add another layer of fun to the game, and for npc "please add npc" it would mean more possible variations for how they look.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Morloc

Morloc Apprentice Engineer

So long as one suit is like this:

[​IMG]

(...and has lasers).

:)

Morloc

13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Master Engineer

What is this movie?

*edit*

reverse image searched it, it is from Dune... so strange, I don't remember this at all.

14. doncdxx

I like the idea of customizing a suit with upgrade slots to personalize the functionality. The only downside I see is in the terminology that may come from this and mods made for it.
    "I need to get my +5 gloves of Sabiroid slaying"

It might even be cool to have the suit core be customization with sliders. e.g. If you have a suit you plan to use on the moon, you lower hydrogen and increase oxygen and/or energy, then equip leg mods to run faster or jump higher. We all assume the space suit has an integrated exoskeleton, right?

15. Kattla

Kattla Trainee Engineer

Hmm, what lounge, i can't find any either on my ships or stations...

16. Spaceman Spiff

I recently posted a ship with a lounge.

17. Morloc

Morloc Apprentice Engineer

There were (at least) two versions of the 80's David Lynch Dune movie, but both had use of the shields with that effect.
    Perhaps you saw the SciFi Channel version?

-Morloc

18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Master Engineer

I think I was just too young to remember the scene.

19. Stardriver907

That scene was very early in the movie when they were all still on Arrakis. I remember it because I remember the scene from the book.

@Morloc one of the few sci-fi films that did NOT have lasers.

Which is why your crew can't find uranium. Too busy lounging around :)

Anyone remember this mod from SEKTAN?
    [​IMG]

This was a skin. I don't remember the guns working, then there was an update and that was that. Hasn't been anything like it since. So whenever we start talking about something we had and now we don't have I wonder if the reason we don't have it is because we can't.

20. Spaceman Spiff

You just say that 'cause it's true.

[​IMG]

21. mojomann71

mojomann71 Senior Engineer

However, Sektan still has many other skin / suits that to my knowledge still work. He probably could revamp it but he is probably busy with other projects like polishing up his VR version of SE

22. Stardriver907

Nah. I asked him in chat once a while back and he's basically not interested. It's been like three years. Point is, no one else has even tried anything like it, so I'm guessing it's either not possible or too much trouble to be worth it.

23. Ronin1973

Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Combat space suit, building space suit, building suit (no jet-pack, oxygen stores, but more room for inventory), exploration space suit (longer battery, more hydrogen and oxygen, much less storage space). But be only able to change suits at a full medical room. However a spare suit should be less than 400 liters as an inventory item so it can be put into the inventory of your current suit.

24. Calaban

Calaban Junior Engineer

I think the problem with suit change outs is...

We are not people wearing suits. The suit IS us.

We are assembled in the Medical Room as bio constructs, fully integrated into the suit (eat your heart out, Black Carapace)

We dont eat, we dont poop (we use that location now to recharge when we sit down)...we die without power, We see UI overlays, can perceive through the 3rd person buzzybee nanocamera, and "heal" very artificially as well, we all have the same face, we cannot speak, yet we can text to anyone in the solar system... what made anyone think we were human wearing a suit?

Nope we are short lived gelatin and Goo (or whatever is in those medical room tanks) constructs, plastic face and all. We just look like people for... nostalgic reasons.

(my pet theory that fits everything: we are von neumann machines, Medical Room-> Engineer->Assembler-> Medical room cycle on and on forever, spreading across the galaxy)

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. Ronin1973

Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Wait... the bathroom and the kitchen DLC... we've been conned!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  26. DCam2016

DCam2016 Trainee Engineer

This is something myself and friends have been talking about. Even just a non space suit version. For us at least (in how we play) it would put more importance on keeping stations/ships pressurised and life support systems up running.

Would it be possible to switch out the character model and have the character 'parameters' set to jetpack disabled, helmet always open and magboots disabled? That would be enough.

• Like Like x 1
  27. doncdxx

This mod disables the helmet closing
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1369595487

Jetpack can be turned off in advanced options. I'm not sure if there's one for the magboots and I don't know the current state of alternate character models.

I like playing without helmet and jetpack sometimes for the challenge of it.

28. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Master Engineer

Correct.

[​IMG]

29. DCam2016

DCam2016 Trainee Engineer

So it is do-able. You could get away with keeping the magboots, there would be times you lose gravity but still have life support :) This has got me thikning, I may dig into this further :D

30. mojomann71

mojomann71 Senior Engineer

I agree we should have an option to have alternatives. Planets with atmospheres there is no need to have your full suit on until you decide to make that venture into space.
    And even in the comic Keen released the characters in the comic have real clothes on... hmmmm..... maybe that is a hint from Keen on what is to come? :)

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.