1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

Disappearing voxels

Discussion in 'Gameplay Help' started by Capt.SkuLL, Jul 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Capt.SkuLL

Capt.SkuLL Apprentice Engineer

did anyone notice the voxels on the ground keep disappearing WAY BEFORE reaching the max in settings ?

i had mine set to 100 ( where it said above 62 is not advised )

but when i was mining i wondered where all my ores went to. so i did an experiment and drilled while looking at where they are going, on the floor they disappear by the 20's and they start disappearing when they are about 40 on the ground.

2. Roxette

Roxette Senior Engineer

OK so you're misunderstanding the option and have not checked - it's a 'floating object' count, which includes mined voxel material and also loose components eg from destroyed cargo and floating pieces of 'scrap metal' from destroyed grid blocks. They are not removed on a first-in first-out basis, it seems to be either random or possibly based on proximity to occupied grids or players. You can look at the floating objects individually in the admin menu to see what and where they are. :)

3. Capt.SkuLL

i don't understand. before you start a newgame there is an option to set max items in the world. it was set to 100 and it advised against making this number higher than 60 or something which may cause performance issues.
    mine was set to 100 and i have not mined anywhere else just this starter base of mine. i used to be able to drop about 60 pcs before i pick them up. now its visible up to only 30 pcs and they start disappearing by 10s or 20s.
    i did not mess around with the ALT+F10 admin setting.

there is no 'floating object' option in newgame settings. i lost a lot of iron ores :(

4. Roxette

Roxette Senior Engineer

They've just changed what they call it in that screen. It may also be dynamically reduced for performance reasons...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Capt.SkuLL

this one. i set this one to 100 .... i never have any other floating objects in the world. my gameplay before this is as usual, Max objects set to 100 and i can drill on my starter base for hours of gameplay without coming into this issue.
    it was only about yesterday that i noticed when i drill it could only go as far as 10 rocks on the ground and every thing else disappears.

other objects in the world would be ;
    - Drop Pods that i never visit and they get destroyed ( by the way, very bad design, i needed the unknown signals but only the ones i visit, those i do not visit should just disappear instead of leaving me a mess )

other than that i don't leave anything else in the world. if i move to a resource site to mine a specific ore, i pick them all up. tomorrow i will play the game again and check out if they have anything else in the world.

6. Capt.SkuLL

You were right, there were TONS of scraps and components left outside in the world, places i never visited because of "Unknown Signals" self destructing and leaving its contents on the ground. i think its poor design.

7. Roxette

Roxette Senior Engineer

It's the same problem that causes the majority of bugs in the game. Either the specification defining what the floating objects limitation routine needed to do was poorly written, or the resulting code was not tested and verified to operate according to that specification. Also the fact that despite the problems it causes having been reported years ago, no action has been taken to correct it.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.