Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

01.064 ABT weekly spec thread

Discussion in 'General' started by aboredteen1, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. aboredteen1 Junior Engineer

This week could be anything again since they haavent given out any information yet. i think it will just be more work on scripting, possibly even documentation. it could also finally be the now nearly mythical rails and ladders and space whale update we all want to see.

as usual all post regarding this topic, space whales, space unicorns, space stuff and general community shenanigans are to be posted below mine . thank you and merry patchmas

2. soat7ch Junior Engineer

Fixed Blueprints would be nice, there has benn some weirdness going on with them.
    The option to spawn clusters of asteroids instead of a endless always-the-same roid field.

A new thruster that runs on processed space whale oil.

3. TheNirl Trainee Engineer

Well, I've been seeing a lot of people complain a lot about exploding landing gears and many problems with pistons and rotors. Possible incoming optimizations? Although they did hint at major changes to pistons and rotors, so I'm not sure if we're going to see any optimizations there before a full redesign...

4. shimonu Apprentice Engineer

Block for input data into script (so I won't have to get into code editor to update variable that have to be put manually)
    Monitor block so I don't have to put data as block name to check it.
    Longer reach on sensors or alternative.
    Option to be able to get data one ship to other (connected trough antenna)
    I spend last week more time in code editor than playing game itself

and this

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2015
  5. sironin Trainee Engineer

I'd love it if the physics issues got worked on. But I expect it'll just be locking down the ingame programming api a bit more.

6. BoxxyBrown Apprentice Engineer

I'm holding onto hope that they can and will fix all the physics issues with Rotors and Pistons. I still dream of having a small ship with retractable/foldable landing gear that doesn't blow up.

I imagine moddable UI is probably in the works.

I'd also like to see an official GPS/Navigation system with .. maybe a system map or something. I imagine this week will be programming bug and exploit fixes, though :woot:.

7. Textor Junior Engineer

I'm guessing we'll see scripts that are able to see data from antennas, if not access other (owned) grids, and possibly a monitor block to output information.

8. Kuu Lightwing Senior Engineer

I hope we will get an easy way to distinguish grids before that...

9. Howitz Junior Engineer

-Removal of gravity generators and artificial mass to replace it by magnetic boots and magnetic wheels

-adding free floating physics and movements for the astronaut to grab on things and push himself on walls without jetpack,

- adding food in the form of hydroponic farms and pressurized rooms with atmosphere.

- The ability to remove spacesuit for better field of view and movement, adding suit effect like reduced field of view and movements, fog on the glass of the suit.

-Enabling centrifugal force by rotation of stations to allow walking around.

- adding diversified realistic weapons like lasers and electromagnetic cannons (if you think its scifi then gtfo)

-addind nuclear fusion reactors as lockeed will come with a prototype in 5 years so what about 70years, fawk fission.

-space whales

-optimization of the most gpu eating components aka interior blocks and spotlights

-fixing pistons, rotors, adding rails and bring ladders back

-stabilizing multiplayer

- making the perfect game.

Thats all

10. Wintersend Senior Engineer

Ah but if we implement space whales, won't we need to add space plankton or space krill which could be entertaining in their own right. Imagine building a net to capture enough space krill to tame a space whale and building a weapons platform or mobile base on its back.

11. Ash87 Senior Engineer

MP stabalizations are my bet, probably some work on the new coding block to make it work better in MP.

Edit: Oh, and to undercut Martinineter... RAILS: BWUAHAHAHAHAHAAAA, Now you must choose something slightly different to your default answer, DAAANCE Puppet, DAAANCE!

12. galacticon Apprentice Engineer

Space whales and chicken wings.

No idea what to expect, Keen has been delivering on everything which is really wonderful. I kind of think a surprise would be really nice this week so I dont want to speculate too much.

If anything, perhaps some more in-depth guides on how to mod, texture, model, etc to grow our skills. Maybe continued development of the API so modders can edit more attributes, or perhaps completely create their own unique functioning blocks, etc.

13. theetfireboy Trainee Engineer

keen has given us two awesome features back to back so im thinking well will probably see some tweaks on that and maybe a new block.

although i'm really hoping for gps or a radar

14. Wintersend Senior Engineer

Yeah, a seriously expect mostly some tweaks, maybe announcing a second round of voting for ships, maybe, hopefully adding in a new block, probably one aimed at infinite worlds. One can hope for a hat-trick by the devs however and getting something else big, possibly AI. Even though this is highly unlikely and I would be pleasantly shocked if it occurred.

15. HollowVoices Trainee Engineer

I'm hoping for a better fix on Exploration mode spawn mechanics and such, as well as adding more player made ships to the lineup

16. Howitz Junior Engineer

Im we start having weekly updates that just adds more ships to the exploration feature then this game is doomed lol, so something more for sure

17. havok Apprentice Engineer

no idea but i want 2 things, biomes for random generation so looking everywhere can yield vastly different results and a modable ui would be really cool

18. ATalkingRock Apprentice Engineer

I genuinely hope for a few things:

1. Dat piston/rotor physics. It's so frustrating to have them constantly blowup.

2. Some sort of telescope/astronaut zoom. Would be neat for exploration mode.

3. Prevent players from glitching through walls when the ship is moving. (My buddies get severe rubber banding and even no clipping through walls when they are walking around our moving carrier.) This in particular bothers me because walking around the ship really helps with immersion between asteroids.

19. Wizlawz Master Engineer

exploration submitted ships act as the vanilla cargo ships do

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2015
  20. Bobylein Apprentice Engineer

I am totally with you! Though you forgot realistic sound and we already have super small reactors with super high outputs.
    Also remember that we are since 1980 only ten years away from working fusion reactors. ;)
    Stock corporations will promise you a lot if it's 5 years ahead.

21. Hiramas Apprentice Engineer

We had many weeks of bugfixing and in December we had some huge new-feature hits.
    I would like to see the patches going back to bugfixing and optimizations.
    My biggest wish would be a change in asteroid generation, optimizing for less donuts, but improving landing gears, pistons and rotors is also required.

Maybe an extension of the user-created content integration to improve exploration.

edit: Simple Navigation System. Coordinates and waypoints. PLEASE

22. mhalpern Senior Engineer

Lasers do not make for feasible weapons, unless the target is inheritably explosive, it requires more power than they are worth to get one that isn't just good as an active defense system, or a targeting system.

23. Wizlawz Master Engineer

+3

and a map

24. Bad_Idea Apprentice Engineer

They are sci-fi. We're a long ways away from having an actual militarized laser weapons. In itself a laser isn't a very good anti-shipping weapon either, they're more suited as point-defense, shooting down hostile ordinance by detonating their explosive load. This is something we already have.

Now Railguns (which i assume you mean) are actually not as far-fetched as lasers are. However, in SE they are hardly needed. The typical engagement distances in SE are much too short to need the speed of a railgun. The projectile would also do much less damage than many think as it would most likely just pass straight through the target, leaving a tiny hole, rather than bounce around like conventional AP weapons do.

If you ask me the future of space combat lies in self-propelled ordinance (or as many call them, missiles).

For the update: I just hope they'll allow us to set the fields on rotors, lights and alike with coding, opening up a whole new world of possibilities!

25. Mad Mike Apprentice Engineer

radar...artificial gravity but no radar...? we all know its needed and one day it will be in.:bawl:

26. Daddsterc0347 Trainee Engineer

Whales. With Frickin' Lasers on 'em.

27. Gweepo Apprentice Engineer

US military already has a laser weapon mounted on a ship... Google it... and also google the railgun they are working on...

Edit: it is designed to shoot down drones, and im guessing as point defence also like you said.

28. Tony Hughes Junior Engineer

Just in case you get bored of exploring your own world, a worm-hole to a parallel universe, co-incidentally also containing a whole lot of asteroids and not much else.

29. Textor Junior Engineer

And a dragon?

30. Wintersend Senior Engineer

Rail guns already exist, and their payload is actually designed to not be aerodynamic so that they do spin and bounce on impact, seriously messing with any internal systems. Plus the initial impact generally hits with enough force to create something that looks like an explosion due to the immense kinetic energy transfer. Even if they only went straight through, that would already make them significantly more powerful than anything wee have now, and the ammo would be dirt cheap. All a railgun really needs to fire is something shaped properly and is affected by magnetism.

Lasers I will admit are further off, but if implemented properly, they could be both useful and balanced. I can imagine someone engineering a system where they have many smaller laser focusing on one point so that they do as much or more damage than one large laser, but the heat is more spread out throughout the firing ship.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.