Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[01.124.007] [SP/MP/DS] Crash/Freeze when mining/drilling on planets (on voxel updates)

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Bibber, Nov 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Bibber Trainee Engineer

The game freezes or crashes everytime you drill/mine for some ore, especially on planets! This bug persists for a while now and still not in the list of known issues... That makes the game almost unplayable. Happens in SP, MP and DS.
    There are no log entries when freezing.

Update 1
    LordDevious pointed out that the voxel updates might be the problem, not the drilling itself. Seems reasonable.

Update 2 (Dec 17, 2015)

Update 3 (Jan 20, 2016)

Update 4 (Feb 01, 2016)

Update 5 (Mar 03 2016)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 22
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Hiramas Apprentice Engineer

It is a know issue, I think, and it keeps happening to me, too.
    What makes the problem bigger is that I usually play on a dedicated server and when this happens my game freezes and
    I have to force quit it, but the server keeps thinking that I am still logged in which causes me to get stuck on "joining world"
    until the server is restarted.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. nicoetcroc Trainee Engineer

Yes it is a very frequent problem on planet...

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Nikecow Trainee Engineer

So it is a client side issue not a server side? Because I have this issue too on multiplayer. After I freeze and I try to rejoin, it will be stuck on "Joining world". However, when I then try to restart the server it seems like the server has frozen as well and can't be closed anymore by pressing ctrl + c.

5. Bibber Trainee Engineer

Happens to clients, hosts, DS ...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Kurazarrh Apprentice Engineer

I think I can help pinpoint where the issue arises. For me, every time the server goes down while I'm mining, it happens if the server/game tries to save at the same time as my drills "hit" and eat away at the ground voxels. If the devs look in that direction, it may shed some light on resolving this issue.

7. redraptor Trainee Engineer

I play SP and have this problem. When I'm mining, at some random point, the game screen freezes indefinitely and the drill sound continues indefinitely. This is with two small ship drills if that matters at all. I have to use task manager to shut down the game and then restart it to return to normal.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Wicorel Senior Engineer

Same problem here. Testing large drill derrick on planets. Creative on Earth easy start.

It's like the display has stopped updating. Sounds continue in the background.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. kittle Senior Engineer

That seems to have fixed it for me.
    I shut off autosave in my creative world and spend the last 2.5 hrs testing mining rigs with no freezeups

10. {CQF} SPC Jaipers Larsa Trainee Engineer

11. Bibber Trainee Engineer

That doesn't apply for us. Happened with and without autosave. Also after the host was restarting, it happened again after 30s or 1 minute. Autosave is first after 5 minutes afaik.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Donziboy2 Trainee Engineer

Ive also had this problem in SP, started right after the second week of planets. The game will randomly freeze while mining, autosaves are off and it seems to mainly happen with saves that I have been playing for a while. Really annoying not being able to progress more then a few hours in.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. OI Steven Trainee Engineer

Same issue on our server as well, server will lockup, freeze when mining, and no log is generated.

14. Ulfsark Master Engineer

Are you guys mining straight down, or making a tunnel so that voxels are above the area being mined? I read somewhere that someone had this issue when they were tunneling, and I myself just experienced from doing that very thing. I was going down without issue, but once i started to mine a tunnel it froze

15. raptor 2 Trainee Engineer

It doesn't seem to matter. I have a large drill I use to cut vertical shafts and then a small horizontal drill fo digging tunnels. I have had the game freeze using both. I tried shutting off auto save as well and that didn't help. It seems a bit random. Sometimes I can mine without issue. Then unload my ore and go back for more and it freezes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. pfshfine Trainee Engineer

I was having this crash over and over today on my dedicated server. I used SEToolbox to open the save file and deleted all floating objects, and it has not crashed again since. I suspect this issue has to do with the maximum number of floating objects, and floating objects not being deleted properly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. raptor 2 Trainee Engineer

That makes sense. The time you are going to have the most floating objects is during mining. But if that turns out to be the problem then it may come back as soon as your floating object count climbs. I went int SETools and deleted floating objects as well. Let's see what happens.

18. Zelif Trainee Engineer

This kills my DS quite often also, most mining that I do is secondary mining so no rocks are generated thus I do not think it is the object limit.

19. kittle Senior Engineer

nevermind - the problem is still happening. -- it still freezes up while drilling, just not as often.

20. cccdemon Trainee Engineer

game uses a huge load of RAM, and also the ntoskrnl.exe uses a lot of RAM while mining on a planet ... game freezes and only a task kill helps :D
    Reproducable, every time i use my huge drillrig.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. BigNose Trainee Engineer

Exactly the same problem here. Solar System Survival (all 1x), hand drilling for iron ore. As soon as I deform the first part of terrain I see the RAM usage slowly rise which each voxel I mine, until the game just stops updating the screen and freezes.
    Sounds are stuck in an infinite loop, no crash message, the Windows Task Manager is usually the only way out.

100% Reproduceable, it happend every time I tried more than 10mins continous mining.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. nicoetcroc Trainee Engineer

Yes I think it's a bug with floating/falling objects, maybe a bug collision with us.
    But it is not the number of objects.

23. talchemist5 Trainee Engineer

I was having this issue as well. I found that when I changed the maximum floating objects up to like 500+ I stopped crashing at all. I had it less than 60 since I wanted to keep them down. But since planets it won't delete them correctly anymore.

24. shmafoozius Trainee Engineer

I don't think it's related to the maximum number of floating objects. It also happened for me while I was alone and was collecting the ore every frew seconds so there weren't too many objects. Also, I had this issue before then is was completely fine for me for one week and suddenly happened again after this one week.

I guess It's just working by chance when increasing the floating object count and could still crash any time.

What I want to know is: Do you guys have this crash/freeze when mining continuously (holding LMB when hand drilling or leaving drills active on a ship without pressing LMB) or are you just tapping LMB to activate the drill over and over again? Because for me it seems like the crash happens more often when mining continiously. If I only drill once, collect the ore, drill again and so on, I don't seem to experience this bug at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. talchemist5 Trainee Engineer

I definitely don't do continuous hand mining any more. I fell through the planet one time doing that and stopped. Never fell through again. I even find my mining craft works better with less stuttering if I pulse both drilling modes.

26. semple Trainee Engineer

I have 4 drills on a small ship mining while in Private mode and will randomly lock up, sometimes within seconds of reloading the game and start mining right away. I have stopped playing until the next patch because survival on 1x is too time consuming to spend 2 hours attempting to mine for 5 minutes of actual mining.

27. talchemist5 Trainee Engineer

My ship is the same. I found I have to use setoolbox after every game to remove floaters or I will crash too. I know it isn't just the floating object limit but it seems to cause alot of the crashes. This morning I pulsed the drills 3 times and landed to count floaters. It had 78 on the ground.

28. Soulthule Apprentice Engineer

I don't believe that fixes the issue - at least not on my DS. I regularly clean up floating objects and run a mod that forces the floating objects, which don't float on planets with gravity (don't know if that makes a difference or not), however when they broke the ability to clean I had to remove 4 to 7 k of objects every day.

My server still crashes, usually with a player reporting mining...

Mining/drills are the start of the issue - now to pin point. Maybe there is a correlation between saving while in the process of mining I will watch.

29. PhoenixTheSage Junior Engineer

It's highly likely this is a memory problem, so I wouldn't get your hopes up for a workaround. You're gonna have to wait for Keen to fix this.

30. kittle Senior Engineer

Update:

After some playing yesterday it seems saving the game actually CREATES the crash/freeze problem when mining. It also seems right-click drilling (clearing stuff out) causes the freeze crash.

I played over the weekend on my creative world with autosave turned off. I was able to do mining for over 2.5 hours with no issues.
    Yesterday I played on my survival world with autosave turned off. I would only save when I got something completed or before testing stuff. But it would still freeze up/crash while drilling - both regular and right-click drilling. Using both the hand drill and large ship drills.

So something in save-game process is causing the drilling process to *eventually* go into a loop

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.