Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[01.124.007] [SP/MP/DS] Crash/Freeze when mining/drilling on planets (on voxel updates)

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Bibber, Nov 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Malware Master Engineer

I'm not convinced this has anything to do with save - or drilling for that matter. Or online play. It seems to me to be directly related to voxel modification. I was doing modifications using the voxel hands in a solo game when the freeze happened to me. I did not save.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Bibber Trainee Engineer

That seems to be reasonable. Drilling causes many voxel updates and thus increases the chance for freezes/crashes. Guess that points in the right direction.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  3. PhoenixTheSage Junior Engineer

And I'm pretty sure this is because of the way voxels are being handled in memory during modification (which is kinda -because- of drilling, because that is one case where they are being modified). Something is catching at a low level.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

Is it me or do some areas seem more prone to freezing than others? I mine 300k in one hole, fly a few kilometers to another and 'FREEZE'. It always freezes at this second hole. :(

5. Running Trainee Engineer

Ran into this last night when right click drilling. I had not been recently mining at that location, I don't think there was much if any debris laying around.
    Have run into this with left click and right click manual drilling and with drilling from a small ship.

6. Masterken Trainee Engineer

same here, freezes and crashing when drilling
    happend 3 times today. 1 time the game asked to send the log files.

links to log files from yesterday

7. Cat_Codeine Trainee Engineer

I have been running into this as well since I fired up the game again recently (about two weeks ago).

I primarily encountered it while I was right-click drilling (on foot) to clear space, but once I made a small atmo-capable drilling ship (x1 drill) I began to encounter it while mining. Watching my system resources while mining it seems like there is something not getting cleaned up quickly enough in memory usage. While mining the memory usage continues to climb and when you stop it stabilizes and then eventually drops a bit.

I figured it was a known issue so I just adapted my play style to compensate by running a cycling stopwatch program set to 1 min and 30 seconds. Once a minute an a half of solid mining has been reached I stop mining, hit Esc and save my game, then close the menu and resume mining. It's a dual fail-safe. I save my game just in case, and the act of going out to the menu and saving then coming back seems to time perfectly to the memory cleanup. I have disabled Auto-save as well (but only because it was screwing up my rhythm hehe).

It sucks to have to do it in 1.5 min bursts, but it's still playable. I have not tried mining for 1.5 minutes then just sitting for the same duration saving my game normally takes me however to see if it works without going into the menu, so it might be a case of going to the Esc menu is what is triggering the cleanup...I haven't tested so I can't say one way or another. I do know that if you are mining on foot you can mine for long periods of time if you just pace yourself. Like "drill, drill drill, wait 5-6 seconds, drill, drill, drill, wait 5-6 seconds" and just rinse/repeat, but it's not proven to be as reliable as the 1.5min Method. I have tried using 2/2.5/3 minute intervals and while it's still generally stable I found they weren't 100% reliable, which the 1.5 minutes has been for me so far.

It's a band-aid, and a terrible one at that (especially if you're running large scale mining operations), but it has worked like a charm for me. Two days or so of playing with the timer and my brain set into the rhythm, I don't even need the stopwatch any more.

Give it a try and let me know. I'd be interested to know if this works for anyone else. Hope it helps some of you frustrated Engineers out there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. semple Trainee Engineer

I have been saving like every 30 seconds when mining. Seems to work for me... sort of. Sometimes even saving and reloading/restarting the computer does stop it from happening... I will get it sometimes where I can load a game, mine for 2 cycles with my 5 drills, and then FREEZE. Other times I have dug a hole 50m into the ground, mined up 50,000kg worth of ore (on Realistic) and flew back to base without freezing. It is not consistent and coupled with the voxels not existing at all in some spots to where you can fly through the ground... I would guess it may be related.

9. Darkicus Trainee Engineer

Is this maybe a duplicate thread? Here is my post from the other one.

10. Bibber Trainee Engineer

I wouldn't call it duplicate. We need to report that issue as often as we can, otherwise Keen doesn't care about.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. JamesL86 Senior Engineer

Just a bit of additional information that may help here. We have been using "Explosive Excavation" with warheads on our server as that seems to be the only way that making holes for construction doesn't freeze the game. Dunno why though. Maybe voxel destruction from warheads is handled differently than via tools. At any rate, its impossible to get a log file when the server freezes up from mining because the game hangs and thus stops writing to the log. I really hope this gets fixed soon because its making playing on planets a bit of a waste of time at the moment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Running Trainee Engineer

I would rephrase that to:
    "If a lot of people confirm they are running into the same issue, it should get more priority to be fixed."

But if it's possible do that in the same thread. I see no point in spamming the forums with the same issue just to get attention.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Bibber Trainee Engineer

I can't completely agree with you. In general you are right, but humans work different. It will never get higher priority with only one single thread with hundreds of posts where people tend to go off-topic after a while.
    FYI: I don't want any attention, but the issue needs to get. Sorry, but it lacks communication from Keen's side. Still no confirmation that they recognized this issue. And as you may see, this is a survival gamebreaker.

Update
    According to the patch notes: fixed today

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  14. Darkicus Trainee Engineer

I'll give this a test tomorrow and see how it goes. By the way I only mention duplicates because supposedly it's against the rules. Of course the thread I posted in was ALSO a duplicate, I wouldn't call it a big deal. I imagine from Keen's point of view, they like all reports of an issue in one place for ease of review, even if they don't actually post in the threads. Developers are stealthier than ninjas, don't be deceived, they're all around us, even at this very moment...

15. woodster Trainee Engineer

Alas, after todays update, I still had my DS freeze on me. I have a drill on a rotor in a chamber underground constantly mining. All seemed good for a while, but then, no response from server... Server had frozen while performing an auto-save (last line in server window).

I have seen the comments about the save not being the cause of the problem, but rather voxel updates. That may be the case, but (based on previous server crashes) it seems that it always happens after drilling has occurred (or during drilling of course: hand-drill for example), a server save happens and a character has been within proximity of the drill.
    For example, leaving my drill mining and activating it remotely (away from the drill itself), I didn't seem to get any crashes. Upon walking down to the chamber where the drilling is happening so I can see the progress, the server would freeze at the auto save time. Not 100% repeatable, but every server freeze I've had always seemed to after those three situations were true.

Again, not saying those are the cause of the problem, just my observations on the events that happened around the server freeze.

16. Running Trainee Engineer

If that's true then Keen's process to determine priority is busted. By just looking at the updates that come out it is difficult to tell if that is the case.
    Something that seems like easy to fix might require a lot of work from a rare resource, while something that appears complex but not important could be done by an intern that didn't have anything else to do.

Fixing a game freeze where you might have very limited logging as the game doesn't respond anymore thus doesn't write anything into a log file could be very hard to fix.
    Latest update indeed suggests they (partially?) fixed it. if that's true... maybe their prioritizing isn't as bad as you think.

I'd love to dig into their actual way of working, see how they prioritize and plan their work. But I haven't seen an open beta/alpha yet where they really do that.

17. Brocker Trainee Engineer

01.111.014 - DS still freezes when mining...

18. Telquel Trainee Engineer

Yep still totally freezes, even mining with LMB tho it could cause more updates in voxels.

19. The Inventor Trainee Engineer

I am getting the same crash, every time I try to mine with my drill ship the game freezes.

20. Bibber Trainee Engineer

Worked all fine for us yesterday, but happened again today. Indeed, still not fixed. :(

21. kcjunkbox Senior Engineer

Happened just now while hand mining and left clicking.

22. Soulthule Apprentice Engineer

Confirmed - Drilling still causing crashes on My DS, even from yesterday's update and today's hot fixes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Tommyk Apprentice Engineer

Very Interesting!

I have those random freeze while mining too and then tried like you did "no autosave and no manual save while playing. only save before exiting game".

I could mine all session long without problems and had NO freeze at all anymore (hand drill left/right and ship). I will run another miningsession with no-save to confirm the streak and then do the 'save before mining' to see if the freeze appears again!

tyvm, for the hint, I was running low on ore already because I postponed the mining so many times because of the fear it freezes up again..

cheers

24. coonsaa Trainee Engineer

Confirmed still an issue even after Thursday and Friday patches, last two times only my client has frozen and not the server. Time before that everything locked up.

25. Donziboy2 Trainee Engineer

Same, still freezes while mining, I did get a lot further then before the patch this week. Before it would crash withing 1-2 minutes of starting up my miner, I got about 10 minutes in before it froze.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Sivina λ Trainee Engineer

Bump for justices, also mining asteroids will consume big load of CPU usage in the latest patch.

27. DaveUnder Apprentice Engineer

I'm 99% sure its voxel modification releated.

In my games if it happens, it happens on specific parts on planet. And mostly on outer layer on planet. its always the same spot that causes the crash over and over.
    Have reproduced it from save game like 10 times in row on same spot - sorry save overwritten,cant share. In certain shape variations in your mining grid calculations fail.
    if I have modified close by areas with drill, then at some point game is capable to recalculate changes also for that bad spot -as surrounding has changed and calculations matrix as well for that matter.

My experience is from SP game. Hand drill MRB causes it more than MLB. Also ships tend to have bigger chance - you have more drills and bigger area affected by calculations.

Dave

28. Malware Master Engineer

If there is a next time where you can reliably reproduce, send a copy to Keen - even if you have once already. Much, much bigger chance of them figuring out what's going wrong. There seems be more than one problem causing the same symptom, given that they already claimed to have fixed it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. Malware Master Engineer

They already know, no need to bump. It won't help them find the problem faster, only providing more information will. Also you shouldn't add new bug reports under a previously existing one (consume big load of CPU =/= freeze) - it's highly likely to get overlooked. :)

30. Sivina λ Trainee Engineer

It would be pleased if someone could answer the question, Do their game freeze happen before the CPU loading get high or so?
    Because from my mining experience in the latest patch, the game go freeze for a 2-3 seconds too because of the CPU in the high loading levels.

EDIT : And for opening a new topics reporting almost the same bugs would just overlapping the forum as well, but if it is need to,i will.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.