Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[01.124.007] [SP/MP/DS] Crash/Freeze when mining/drilling on planets (on voxel updates)

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Bibber, Nov 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Bibber Trainee Engineer

We mentioned often enough that it also happens with auto-save completely off.

2. Quevin Trainee Engineer

I am aware, but it is just what I noticed. As I said in my previous comments in this thread I was trying to find the source. I concluded that in 1.117 I could reproduce it when the world auto-saved. I could also reproduce it without auto-save (This just took me longer). And the only reason I commented on his post is because I wanted to give him my tip about how I mine and apparently it seems to work well. Because I am able to mine longer. So he is able to make his YouTube series faster and better with less crashes/freezes.

Kind Regards,
    Quevin

3. Shakrii Trainee Engineer

Figured I would add my two sense / troubleshooting:

Have known about the issue since 01.115 to 01.118 (due to when large scale project started)
    Server Memory Error believed to be caused by memory used by voxal updates.
    I can consistently crash both dedicated and single player server/client by causing the ram consumption of SE to climb by about ~2.8GB from initial world load consumption.

To achieve the server/client ram consumption I have used drilling piston platform and drilling ships (massive for faster climb and smaller over a longer period) to alter asteroid voxels and cause a memory climb.
    The memory (believed) consumed by the voxal alterations are not released by a dedicated server over a day & half of leaving the server alone (or by local client over a shorter testing period).
    On a world save and server restart the memory initial consumption returns to the expected original parameters.

I have only caused increased memory by asteroid alterations using drills and have yet to test using explosives or ship ramming or some other form of asteroid voxal alterations not related to drills to see if the server continues to claim ram and not release it due to voxels till a server crash.
    I have yet to test the voxal memory error on planets but due to reading all the bug reports recently and complaints concerning voxels, believe the issue to be similar.
    If some has an idea for a reliably large memory climb shy of altering asteroid (or planet) voxels in the GB range please let me know so that could also be tested.

I first ran into said issue when starting a massive mining project on my Server (over LAN connection). After initially testing with the expectation of being mod I have tracked it to being a core game issue independent of map and mods.
    The original server map has been tested on the server, Laptop1 as both dedicated and client, and Laptop2 as client local map without any mods.
    To test whether the issue was with the map/SE or just SE, a second map from SE world, Lone Survivor, was used. All existing structures were removed and a large mining platform built to dig out the asteroid.
    As expected the local client also crashed with a very similar error of the server crashed around ~4.3GB (Initial ~1.5GB + ~2.8GB climb over length of project till crash)

The test world was settings are as followed (intentionally set as low):
    HTML:
    	<GameMode>Creative</GameMode>
    	<InventorySizeMultiplier>10</InventorySizeMultiplier>
    	<AssemblerSpeedMultiplier>3</AssemblerSpeedMultiplier>
    	<AssemblerEfficiencyMultiplier>3</AssemblerEfficiencyMultiplier>
    	<RefinerySpeedMultiplier>3</RefinerySpeedMultiplier>
    	<OnlineMode>PRIVATE</OnlineMode>
    	<MaxPlayers>4</MaxPlayers>
    	<MaxFloatingObjects>16</MaxFloatingObjects>
    	<EnvironmentHostility>SAFE</EnvironmentHostility>
    	<AutoHealing>true</AutoHealing>
    	<EnableCopyPaste>true</EnableCopyPaste>
    	<WeaponsEnabled>false</WeaponsEnabled>
    	<ShowPlayerNamesOnHud>true</ShowPlayerNamesOnHud>
    	<ThrusterDamage>false</ThrusterDamage>
    	<CargoShipsEnabled>false</CargoShipsEnabled>
    	<EnableSpectator>false</EnableSpectator>
    	<RemoveTrash>true</RemoveTrash>
    	<WorldSizeKm>10</WorldSizeKm>
    	<RespawnShipDelete>true</RespawnShipDelete>
    	<ResetOwnership>false</ResetOwnership>
    	<WelderSpeedMultiplier>1</WelderSpeedMultiplier>
    	<GrinderSpeedMultiplier>1</GrinderSpeedMultiplier>
    	<RealisticSound>false</RealisticSound>
    	<HackSpeedMultiplier>0.33</HackSpeedMultiplier>
    	<PermanentDeath>false</PermanentDeath>
    	<AutoSaveInMinutes>5</AutoSaveInMinutes>
    	<SpawnShipTimeMultiplier>0</SpawnShipTimeMultiplier>
    	<ProceduralDensity>0.25</ProceduralDensity>
    	<ProceduralSeed>1117958011</ProceduralSeed>
    	<DestructibleBlocks>false</DestructibleBlocks>
    	<EnableIngameScripts>false</EnableIngameScripts>
    	<ViewDistance>5000</ViewDistance>
    	<FloraDensity>20</FloraDensity>
    	<VoxelGeneratorVersion>2</VoxelGeneratorVersion>
    	<EnableOxygen>false</EnableOxygen>
    	<Enable3rdPersonView>true</Enable3rdPersonView>
    	<EnableEncounters>false</EnableEncounters>
    	<EnableFlora>true</EnableFlora>
    	<EnableStationVoxelSupport>false</EnableStationVoxelSupport>
    	<EnableSunRotation>false</EnableSunRotation>
    	<DisableRespawnShips>false</DisableRespawnShips>
    	<ScenarioEditMode>false</ScenarioEditMode>
    	<Battle>false</Battle>
    	<Scenario>false</Scenario>
    	<CanJoinRunning>false</CanJoinRunning>
    	<PhysicsIterations>4</PhysicsIterations>
    	<SunRotationIntervalMinutes>1440</SunRotationIntervalMinutes>
    	<EnableJetpack>true</EnableJetpack>
    	<SpawnWithTools>true</SpawnWithTools>
    	<StartInRespawnScreen>false</StartInRespawnScreen>
    	<EnableVoxelDestruction>true</EnableVoxelDestruction>
    	<MaxDrones>5</MaxDrones>
    	<EnableDrones>false</EnableDrones>
    	<EnableCyberhounds>false</EnableCyberhounds>
    	<EnableSpiders>false</EnableSpiders>
    The test world crash error:
    Code:
    	Exception occured: System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
    	  at hkpWorld.stepDeltaTime(hkpWorld* , Single )
    	  at Havok.HkWorld.StepSimulation(Single timeInSec)
    	  at Sandbox.Engine.Physics.MyPhysics.StepWorld(HkWorld world)
    	  at Sandbox.Engine.Physics.MyPhysics.Simulate()
    	  at Sandbox.Game.World.MySession.UpdateComponents()
    	  at Sandbox.Game.World.MySession.Update(MyTimeSpan updateTime)
    	  at Sandbox.MySandboxGame.Update()
    	  at Sandbox.Engine.Platform.Game.UpdateInternal()
    	  at Sandbox.Engine.Platform.FixedLoop.<>c__DisplayClass2.<Run>b__1()
    	  at Sandbox.Engine.Platform.GenericLoop.Run(VoidAction tickCallback)
    	  at Sandbox.Engine.Platform.Game.RunLoop()
    	  at Sandbox.MySandboxGame.Run(Boolean customRenderLoop, Action disposeSplashScreen)
    	  at SpaceEngineers.MyProgram.RunInternal(String[] args)
    	  at SpaceEngineers.MyProgram.Main(String[] args)
    The Dedicated server crash error:
    Code:
    	 Exception occured: System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
    	   at hkpWorld.stepDeltaTime(hkpWorld* , Single )
    	   at Havok.HkWorld.StepSimulation(Single timeInSec)
    	   at Sandbox.Engine.Physics.MyPhysics.StepWorld(HkWorld world)
    	   at Sandbox.Engine.Physics.MyPhysics.Simulate()
    	   at Sandbox.Game.World.MySession.UpdateComponents()
    	   at Sandbox.Game.World.MySession.Update(MyTimeSpan updateTime)
    	   at Sandbox.MySandboxGame.Update()
    	   at Sandbox.Engine.Platform.Game.UpdateInternal()
    	   at Sandbox.Engine.Platform.FixedLoop.<>c__DisplayClass2.<Run>b__1()
    	   at Sandbox.Engine.Platform.GenericLoop.Run(VoidAction tickCallback)
    	   at Sandbox.Engine.Platform.Game.RunLoop()
    	   at Sandbox.MySandboxGame.Run(Boolean customRenderLoop, Action disposeSplashScreen)
    	   at VRage.Dedicated.DedicatedServer.RunInternal()
    	   at VRage.Dedicated.DedicatedServer.RunMain(String instanceName, String customPath, Boolean isService, Boolean showConsole)
    	   at VRage.Dedicated.WindowsService.MainThreadStart(Object obj)
    	   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
    	   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
    	   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
    	   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart(Object obj)
    Server - VM Windows 7 x64 running on a dedicated VMware ESXi 5.5.0 server
    RAM: ~16GB with no local VRAM, the VM at all times uses ram with the VMware server never assigning any of the ram to the swap file. Server ECC RAM at 16GB
    CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1245 @3.3GHz - 4 cores given to instance, NxFlag is exposed to the VM, with full support of virtualization
    Hard drive: Virtual disk on disk drives

Laptop1 - ASUS N550JX, windows 8.1 x64
    RAM: 16GB DR3 with some amount of vram (vram was never touched by either dedicated or client)
    CPU: Intel Core i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHz
    GPU: NVIDIA GT 950M Graphics 2GB
    Hard drive: SSD

Laptop2 - GIGABYTE P35W V2, windows 8.1 x64
    RAM: 16GB DR3 with some amount of vram (vram was never touched by either dedicated or client)
    CPU: Intel Haswell Core i7-4710HQ @ 2.5GHz
    GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 870M 6GB GDDR5
    Hard drive: SSD

Will test on a fourth computer (desktop) and possibly some more configurations in the next few days (most likely)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  4. Shakrii Trainee Engineer

Adding another computer that is also crashing although no new testing done.

Windows 10 Pro, x64
    RAM: 16GB DDR 1330
    CPU: Intel i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
    GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti 4GB

5. admanter Apprentice Engineer

I have had additional crashes since i wrote this. It is clearly improved as i used to never be able to mine through an auto-save. And rarely could i take my miner out twice on planet before the server had to be rebooted.
    I managed to collect enough materials to keep me busy with my mining runs and have not mined since so i dont have much additional info to add.

6. Bibber Trainee Engineer

7. Telquel Trainee Engineer

Can confirm that problem still persist.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Krokan Trainee Engineer

This bug is not fixed. Mining with any sort of block drill is usually okay for a time but will eventually hard lock and crash the server. Right click (clearing) with the hand drill will almost certainly crash the server very quickly.

PLEASE FIX!!!!!!!!!

9. Aim Trainee Engineer

This thing is really persistent. Freaks us out on our DS. Since the last patch it's happening more often (said subjectively).

10. zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

not sure if relevant but I found that traveling to new areas(chunks?) can lead to a pause- either it lasts a second or two and then updates and resumes, or worse hangs completely. window can be closed independently of the actual process, so the last sound played continues to loop until the process it killed manually.(note that the window doesn't close on it's own,just that it's possible to close it without closing the application)- never happened to me before this update- SP.
    if it's not the same thing then sorry for hijacking the thread/off topic

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Prescott Freyd Senior Engineer

Hey guys, I'm on this issue again. Could you please tell me if the crash / freeze while mining (without exception in the log) is occurring with spiders turned off?

PF

• Like Like x 1
  12. steve47antec2 Trainee Engineer

SP world survival, autosave on, no flora, no spiders, dogs, drones or pirates, still get mining freeze

13. c0d3n4m3 Trainee Engineer

Yes, this freeze happens with for me every game session, and I play with Auto Save: On - Spiders and Dogs: Off, Pirates: On (Although I've not left the planet yet) and Flora: Low

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  14. Prescott Freyd Senior Engineer

Thank you guys. Just to explain why it is taking so long... Our guys had to make a little debug to help them find changes in the voxel mesh so that they will be able to reproduce the exact same changes that led to the crash / freeze. There is a lot of back and forth between testers and programmers on this one crash, trying to reproduce it in a way that is actually useful to fixing the crash has proven to be a difficult task. Hopefully soon we will have a fix :)

PF

• Like Like x 7
  15. c0d3n4m3 Trainee Engineer

Hey, that's great news! Really glad this is being focused on! Good luck with squashing this one!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Shakrii Trainee Engineer

Glad this is being looked at Prescott Freyd, I know some other people have posted good things in this thread but I have a decent description above concerning the issue (although on asteroids not planets). Anything we as the community can test for you to try to refine the issue that we haven't thought of yet?

17. BeafSalad Trainee Engineer

Yep I was having this problem as well which made the game unplayable. I am only playing single player at the moment and have tried a number of things to resolve this such as blocking internet access which of coarse did not work. I thought it may be a problem with certain hardware configurations and wanted to monitor the temperature of my CPU and GPU so I installed CPUID HWMonitor and guess what it didn't crash while HWMoniter was running. I now have Process Lasso installed and have had no crashes all week.

18. Shakrii Trainee Engineer

BeafSalad, is Process Lasso stopping the DS/MS from the never ending memory clime due to voxal changes?

19. Maximun Trainee Engineer

this bug is still here and is making my game permanently freeze causing me to shut it down... update 1.120

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. BeafSalad Trainee Engineer

I wouldn't know as I have only played single player as of yet. I know it seems stupid that this would work but for me it does.

21. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Thank you so much, sincerely, for explaining to us where you are on this confirmed bug. It was just four sentences, with two of which containing the pertinent information.

Those two sentences are just what we need or ever wanted in return from Keen regarding bugs. It's not that the bug has been resolved, which we all would like, but that you as a Keen representative communicated to us everything we need to know.

If you could address the status of one lingering bug, each day, five days a week with something so brief, you'd be giving us back so much and making a big difference in the community.

Thank you, again, for addressing this and giving us this information.

22. Prescott Freyd Senior Engineer

Hey Ronin!

We are doing our best to try and address as many issue as I can. I understand that when the bug is there and is not being addressed we are keeping you in the dark which does not feel good.

Thanks for that post, I'll make sure to keep you up to date :)

PF

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. xander.huter Trainee Engineer

Hi "miner",

ok I stop playing SE since the mining issue upcomes (two months ago or so),

OK I will wait again two months. Perhaps the problem is solved. It makes no sense to play the game, if elemantary survival functions doesn't work.

Greets and cya in two months ;-)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. Alirus Trainee Engineer

Im also geting this bugg/Glitch it can go all from leting me mine alot to only let me mine two or three times with the defoult hand miner (the basic one)

25. Bibber Trainee Engineer

26. Ac!D Trainee Engineer

any new information?

27. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Yes, we now have pretty trees.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Tig Trainee Engineer

It just builds up your confidence and lulls you into forgeting to save..then

"Surprise! Remeber me?! Frozen screen troll with hammering sounds? I gotcha! Again! You make it so easy!

Have fun reloading and re-doing all that stuff. Catch ya later"

29. Bibber Trainee Engineer

30. Frigidman Apprentice Engineer

Yup yup, eager for this fix too :)

I cringe when I gotta drill a new access tunnel, or go deep for some ore. I start hitting the save button every few feet!

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.