Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[01.172 STABLE] Voxel file names are too long, windows can't cope

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Duckroll, Mar 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Duckroll Trainee Engineer

2017-03-13 23:12:47.921 - Thread: 16 -> Failed to write voxel file 'C:\Users\antho\AppData\Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Saves\76561197998061835\Escape From Mars [Closed Alpha Testing].new\Mars-10533322d120000-0-1-1-7-27-30-31-0-1-2-0-1-0-1-2-3-0-0-6-0-0-3-9-0-0-1-0-0-1-0-0-0-0-0-1-0-2-0-2-0-1-0-0-0-1-2-4-5-0-0-2-2-0-1-0-0-1-0-0.vx2' 2017-03-13 23:12:48.184 - Thread: 16 -> Exception occured: System.IO.PathTooLongException: The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters.

In this scenario the save game name was pretty long, but someone could equally have a long windows user name that causes the same problem.

2. viper312005 Trainee Engineer

I have posted a similar report and was told that this has been mentioned several times in the past but the devs never replied to it. So we are not sure if this is being looked at or not. Seems when the voxels are changed and the game saves it appends additional characters to the end of the filename until it reaches a max character count that the game can no longer save because its to long now. I had this issue with earthlike planet on dedicated server and it would fail to save. I just restore the planet voxels and deleted the extra characters after "Mars-10533322d120000" but you also have to go into the Sandbox_0_0_0 file and search for that long filename and match it with the new filename. You might not have to restore the voxels, I actually haven't tried deleted the extra characters without restoring the planet voxels to default. Worth a shot. MAKE A BACKUP FIRST!!!

After I posted MAKE A BACKUP FIRST!! I just realized that you cannot make a backup because you cannot move that long file over or even copy it because like you said, the filename is too long and windows won't allow it...so might do some testing before you go forth on your actual save.

3. demolish50 Senior Engineer

I posted about this shit so long ago. It's not even funny. 6 months? Then again a few months after. And here we are again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Foogs Apprentice Engineer

5. gornyakmaniac Apprentice Engineer

Yeah, this shit exist at least for half-year, maybe more, and I've posted bugreport too.
    Forces me to delete extra characters at least once a week.

6. frank1982 Trainee Engineer

others are not good only use Long Path Tool because this is the best

7. hlws Tester Staff

Hi guys,
    Thank you very much for your feedback. The issue has been reported to the programmers.
    Have a nice day :)

8. Duckroll Trainee Engineer

I've written a short program to fix this by shortening all the voxel file names for you and fixes them in the Sandbox SBS file. You can choose which save games to apply it to.

9. viper312005 Trainee Engineer

10. v3locim Trainee Engineer

I would suggest to try "Long Path Tool" program.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.