Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[01.180.2] - LCDs glitching, hard to read

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Thorou, Apr 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Thorou Trainee Engineer

[​IMG]
    This has been happening since I started playing (01.179.2-ish), and it's really annoying. The LCDs just start to dim in certain places, often where there was text previously or on another panel. It changes, disappears or reappears whenever the panel is updated or not rendered.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Thorou Trainee Engineer

(bump)

3. drats666 Trainee Engineer

noticed this issue yesterday. almost seems like it was a backlit monitor that had a dead backlight >.<

4. tenerif Trainee Engineer

il mio pc amd A10 7990 gpu R7 e rx480+ 8g saphire, Same problem, changing resolution, various graphics setting tests etc does not resolve
    [​IMG]

5. Lurch84 Trainee Engineer

Been getting this for awhile too, any LCD/text panel and regardless of scripts running or not. It's fairly frequent but not consistent, moving away and coming back sometimes fixes it, sometimes not... can be quite annoying when trying to play scenario's. Running AMD hardware.

6. Xanthyn Trainee Engineer

I have also noticed that when using a repair projector, LCD screens flicker even when "show only build-able" is checked . It seems that the projector will display the LCD panel regardless of whether or not it is currently build-able. Further, I have also noticed my LCD screens changing fonts to monospace at random.

7. I23I7 ME Tester

Hello,

I may I ask those that havent not specified this yet what kinda of setup you are running maing your GPU ?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Lurch84 Trainee Engineer

I have an R9 380 specifically. (In case, here's the rest- FX-8300 cpu, 16GB ram and running Win10)

9. Xanthyn Trainee Engineer

10. I23I7 ME Tester

Thanks!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Thorou Trainee Engineer

The transparancy on LCDs is broken, modded ones too. I haven't experienced your font problem though.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I23I7 ME Tester

Looking into it as i am typing this.

13. Thorou Trainee Engineer

Damn, that's some serious multitasking.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Xanthyn Trainee Engineer

This might be deserving of it's own thread but I think i figured out what's up with the font switching - it seems when you have LCD's of different font's grouped together in the terminal, and click on that group in the terminal, every now and again some of the fonts will be changed to match the other fonts in the group.

15. Martin R Wolfe Trainee Engineer

@I23I7 Well I am getting corruption as well. An AMD Pro Duo graphics card with an Intel I7-3960X (Hex core) @ 3.3GHz with 32GB RAM.

• Like Like x 1
  16. I23I7 ME Tester

I live to multi task :D
    --- Automerge ---
    Yep we linked to the AMD GPUs currently assigned to the render team who working it thanks guys. Now we play waiting game :S

17. Leonexis Trainee Engineer

It looks like this more closely resembles my issue than https://forums.keenswh.com/threads/1-178-to-1-180-5-lcd-panels-dim-randomly.7393822/. Thanks to @Martin R Wolfe for pointing to this thread from that one. I have two systems with this issue. Both are entire AMD systems. My main system is (from the Radeon system info panel):

Radeon Software Version - 17.4.2
    Radeon Software Edition - Crimson ReLive
    Graphics Chipset - Radeon(TM) RX 460 Graphics
    Memory Size - 2048 MB
    Memory Type - GDDR5
    Core Clock - 1224 MHz
    Windows Version - Windows 7 (Service Pack 1) (64 bit)
    System Memory - 32 GB
    CPU Type - AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor

The other is running an A8 (don't have specifics at the moment) with an R7-series card rather than the integrated graphics, also running win7 64bit. I also have a laptop with am A8 processor and win 10, but all I get is black objects now (reported in another thread). I've given up on the laptop. RIP dx9.

The "smooth" emissive slow-flicker might be related to this emissive-texture corruption. As with the other thread, the screens will sometimes go back to looking correct, then a few seconds later it will be corrupted again. I should note that the emissive texture corruption looks like it is overlapping graphics buffers from other LCD screens. For example, I'll have a mostly clear screen, but the background (and emissiveness) looks like the text from another LCD panel a few blocks away. You can actually see this if you look closely at the OP's screenshot. Secondly, having the flashlight on and facing the LCD screen directly makes it somewhat easier to read, which is why I think it might be an emissive texture issue.

So far, there's been one person with an NVidia card showing this issue, but the others seem to be all AMD. Since that user also has an AMD CPU, perhaps an issue with how AMD handle memory mapping? Then again, someone else with an Intel processor has the same issue with an AMD card, so who knows. All I know is this is what has been keeping me from wanting to play SE for a couple months now. Since I play for automation and programming, this is "unplayable" for me.

18. I23I7 ME Tester

Yep it seems to be mostly related to AMD but the fact there are users with NVDIA cards experiencing this makes a really dodgy problem to catch.

19. Leonexis Trainee Engineer

It looks like an older driver may help as per @toubill's post at [1.178 to 1.180.5] LCD panels dim randomly. I haven't had a chance to change drivers to confirm. Frankly, going back on drivers tends to be issues for other games :-/. I finally got Steam In-Home Streaming working right with the latest drivers and I don't want to give that up (issue occurs outside streaming mode as well). But, the driver info may help the dev team, which is why I point it out here.

20. I23I7 ME Tester

No worries we are hard at work on the new major release so currently this was benched for a bit to give way to some other more urgent problems. Anyway thank you for the heads up about the old driver work around i sent it to the render team.

21. Lander1 Trainee Engineer

I have this bug as well since it was introduced a few months back. My graphics card is a NVIDIA GTX 650, current driver version: 382.05

• Like Like x 1
  22. I23I7 ME Tester

Thank you for the information.

23. Annastasya Trainee Engineer

I'm having this issue too, have for months actually but so far no luck finding a solution. Screen still has text on it but it is as if the LCD panel has a burnt out backlight. (While Space Engineers has some pretty good realism in physics I'm assuming its not so realistic that my LCD panels in-game have burnt out backlights... though for the record... >_> I may have tried repairing them just in case, with no luck.) It seems to be random when it happens, which LCD it happens to and for how long.

System Info from Windows 10 x64:
    OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
    Version 10.0.15063 Build 15063
    System Type x64-based PC
    Processor AMD FX(tm)-9590 Eight-Core Processor, 4716 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 2201, 3/23/2015
    SMBIOS Version 2.7
    Embedded Controller Version 255.255
    BIOS Mode UEFI
    BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
    BaseBoard Model ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z
    BaseBoard Name Base Board
    PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.15063.0"
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
    Total Physical Memory 31.8 GB
    Available Physical Memory 27.5 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 36.5 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 32.1 GB
    Page File Space 4.75 GB

Graphics:
    Graphics Name R9 295X2 GDDR5 With a core clock of 1018MHz using PCI Express 3.0 x16
    PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_67B9&SUBSYS_0B2A1002&REV_00\6&2E424940&0&00400010
    Adapter Type AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x67B9), Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. compatible
    Adapter Description AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
    Adapter RAM 8GB (4 per GPU) 1250MHz
    DirectX Support: DirectX 12
    Installed Drivers aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,amdxc64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,amdxc32,atiumd64,atidxx64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64
    Driver Version 22.19.162.4
    Radeon Software Version: 17.4.4
    Radeon Settings Version: 2017.0424.2119.36535
    Driver Package: 17.10.1731-170424a2-313745
    2D Driver Version: 8.1.1.1599
    Direct3D: 9.14.10.01261
    OpenGL: 6.14.10.13474
    OpenCL: 22.19.162.4
    AMD Mantle: 9.1.10.0189
    AMD Mantle API: 102400
    Vulkan Driver: 1.5.0
    Vulkan API: 1.0.39
    BIOS Version: 015.044.000.009 2014/03/11 17:37
    INF File oem48.inf (ati2mtag_HawaiiDS section)
    Color Table Entries 4294967296
    Resolution 1920 x 1080 x 59 hertz
    Bits/Pixel 32

OS drive is a 222GB Volume ASUS RAIDR-X PCI Express (at x4) Raid card with 2 SSD drives in a stripe array (RAID 0)
    Game installation drive is an internal MB raid controller set for Stripe (RAID 0) with 6x WD Black Raptor drives

Help me Obi-Wan, you're my only hope! ...I mean, unless that Luke kid shows up. He might be able to help but just in case lets not rely on him.

24. LostSoul3471 Trainee Engineer

For the Radeon guys out there I can confirm that the driver revert mentioned in [1.178 to 1.180.5] LCD panels dim randomly does actually fix this issue, just going up one version to 16.7.3 breaks it all again. The fun part is that I think 16.7.2 is actually a non-WHQL beta version so YMMV running Win10 (I'm running test mode so I don't run into any signing issues) Kinda greatful I don't clear out the AMD folder that holds all of the downloaded drivers I've used and was able to just uninstall the current ones and roll back to this one.

Will this cause issues with newer games? Probably.
    If you're sporting something really new like an RX580 you're also probably SOL too as year old drivers won't have a clue how to handle that.

At least when the Devs get back around to addressing this issue they can start with what changed between 16.7.2 and 16.7.3 and with any luck can leverage support from AMD as well.

25. mrdanlb Trainee Engineer

I also suffer from this issue, and sadly I am unable to roll back drivers. AMD RX460 GFX card user here. The oldest GFX card driver I can possibly roll back to is 16.7.3 (first driver to support the RX460), and oddly, when I download them from the website, it only offers the HDMI and update utility to install :(

26. LostSoul3471 Trainee Engineer

going that far back I had to uninstall the AMD drivers and reinstall after reverting to MS base drivers--coincidentally the creative version AMD drivers are already at 17.1-something but allows me to install AMD's own driver pack regardless. If you don't the old installer sees the newer drivers and doesn't update them.

27. mrdanlb Trainee Engineer

Giving this thread another bump because as of 181.2, this issue is still happening, using the latest GFX drivers as of this posting.

For reference my card is the Radeon RX460, and per the older drivers patch notes, this card was not supported until the 16.7.3 driver release.

28. Nemethon Trainee Engineer

29. I23I7 ME Tester

Hey guys so we are currently working on testing this 16 different machines for testing that will include some of the specs you have mentioned and some others we might deem necessary to try out.

Hopefully this will help sort out this issue.

• Like Like x 1
  30. mrdanlb Trainee Engineer

Very nice, thank you! I know it sounds odd, but alot of the other bugs I can deal with or work around (pistons/wheels/etc) but this particular issue bugs the daylights out of me, mainly because its an 'in your face' bug.

Thank you guys/gals for the work and effort!

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.