Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[01.180.2] - LCDs glitching, hard to read

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Thorou, Apr 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. I23I7 ME Tester

If there is any update ill keep you posted

2. Thorou Trainee Engineer

Has anyone else noticed LCDs displaying content of other LCDs when they should be blank?
    I saw the "Depressurize" sign from my airlock on a lcd on the other side of my ship. This doesn't happen when the LCD is displaying a image, like the offline screen.

3. I23I7 ME Tester

Hey thats part of the report sent about the LCD panels.

4. Thorou Trainee Engineer

Which report exactly? Am I blind?

5. I23I7 ME Tester

I already merge a bunch of LCD issue etogheter. The issue you are describing is that when you have lets say a plane of panels. Turn them all to display text. Write into one hello. Look at them and turn around and back again. YOu will see the bug

6. LostSoul3471 Trainee Engineer

Yup... that's it, exactly. So you've been able to reproduce it? That's awesome! You now have a frame of reference to figure out where it all went sideways. And like mrdanlb said, the score of other bugs, as bad as they are, are not so in your face as this one is--esp being a heavy user MMaster's LCD script.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I23I7 ME Tester

Yes got it to reproduce when there will be a fix for it ill bump this thread it might be a while tho.

8. mrdanlb Trainee Engineer

9. I23I7 ME Tester

Hey can you send me your PC specs please? Do not forget the graphics drivers as well please.

10. Leonexis Trainee Engineer

This is still an issue on 1.183.017, I have a red-ship start with a single LCD screen with changing text. The first few seconds are fine, then the emissiveness corrupts and I can't read the text. This is still a dealbreaker for me and is why I stopped playing SE altogether except to check on this bug every few updates..

Looks like someone else has the same issue recently: https://forums.keenswh.com/threads/dirty-lcds-1-182-303.7396551/

For reference, my specs:

11. Cedotal78 Trainee Engineer

Normally play this game with my brother and nephew but currently they can join but the HUD and all menu items will not display. I can talk on team speak to them and they can follow the sequence of events to navigate tool bars and menu. It is acting like all menus are invisible but still able to be used. We have hit Tab, etc.. some times we can get it to come back up if I can get them to navigate and move some shadders, but sometimes it does not. If they start a multiplayer game they have full HUD display functionality, if they join the world we were building before the 1.183.017 the above issue persists.

Things we have done:
    Deleted the %appdata% roaming file for settings on all computers
    Graphic cards are Geforce 970 family

12. I23I7 ME Tester

Hey,

Can i have that save file please?

Hello,

Are you using any mods ? What memory? It sounds odd that you HUD does not display it does happen to me sometimes on lower end machines that i use but not often. GPU drivers are updated right?

13. Leonexis Trainee Engineer

Still an issue in 1.183.100. Also just installed a new AMD card, RX 560 4gb, and it has the same issue as the RX 460 2gb and R7 360 2gb on lowest and highest graphics settings. Also just upgraded graphics drivers to 17.7.2. New specs in the spoiler.

I don't know if this matters, but both systems have disabled embedded graphics. The R7 360 rig has an APU and the RX 560 rig has an AMD graphics chipset on the motherboard. In both cases, these are disabled in favor of the discrete graphics cards in each.

HTH

14. I23I7 ME Tester

Hey guys,

Currently i am communicating with Leonexis about this issue he has already shown ample enough examples. Until one of us points out its fixed its WIP.

15. Tigerstripe Apprentice Engineer

Wanna hear something strange?

I took a little break from Space Engineers for a while -- when I last played, in 181.3, this bug was the big issue affecting LCD panels for me.

Upon my return to the game in the current version (183.3), the LCD issue in my old bug report has apparently vanished, and is now replaced by the version discussed in this topic.

My graphics-card drivers have not changed since then. The only thing different is the game version.

In my case, I can see enough detail in the 'corruption' to easily recognize it as a blackened version of what is being displayed on other active LCD panels elsewhere in the world. They are copying some information from panels located on other grids, with dissimilar names... though perhaps sharing the same tags used by scripts to identify LCD panels (in this case, it seems to mostly affect panels linked to the popular Automatic Configurable LCDs 2 script on the workshop, which by default wants panels to be tagged with "[LCD]" in their name). The odd thing is... that script is specifically coded to only work for panels on the same grid as the programmable block running the script.

It's really obvious in one spot in my current world: I recently built a construction ship for an asteroid-based shipyard, and it has big panels on top to show a list of components (so I know when I've run out of something). But that panel is being 'corrupted' by this bug, and the 'corruption' is very clearly a readout of the quantity of refined ingots stored aboard a nearby survey vessel I use for scouting asteroids and building radio towers on them. The survey ship's bridge has a panel of identical size, showing exactly that information... so somehow it's being copied to a neighboring grid, despite no communications links between them (the construction ship has a beacon for tracking location, but no antennae).

Perhaps a programmable block running a program that looks for tagged LCDs is somehow able to affect all identically-tagged panels across the entire world, rather than just the grid the script is only programmed to recognize? That, or somehow the engine is duplicating what is displayed on some random other panel into the background of the 'corrupted' panel, but converting the copied data to the RGB color 0,0,0 and embedding it into the emissive surface.

I hope these observations help with the debug process.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  16. I23I7 ME Tester

Thanks every little bit helps.

17. Sakanax Trainee Engineer

Hello, not sure if you need more input on this bug. It's driving me nuts too and finally found my way to this thread. I seem to remember an old bug that was fixed where only one LCD would render at a time onscreen. I started noticing this bug when the old one was fixed. Maybe its just me. Thinking maybe solving the old bug started the new one, as I don't think there was any period after where LCD's were fully working for me.

GPU: AMD R9 390 (8GB Memory Version)
    CPU: AMD Phenom 1100T
    MB: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX w/ 16 GB RAM

• Like Like x 1
  18. I23I7 ME Tester

:tu:

19. Tigerstripe Apprentice Engineer

Sadly, this one's still a pain in the butt for 1.184.2 :(

20. I23I7 ME Tester

Still not fixed or released yet.

None of the driver updates since then have helped the issue?

21. Tigerstripe Apprentice Engineer

I haven't seen any AMD driver updates for a long time. The Raptr app no longer works, and there appears to be no interface for checking what version I have anymore.

22. mrdanlb Trainee Engineer

I took a break from this game and just recently decided to come back to it to see if this issue is/was resolved, and here is what I found out.

Game Version 184.5: Upon launching the game, the LCD issue has gotten alot better, but not 100% fixed (minor text fading) and also, if you look at a LCD screen at night, then look out a window, you would see "ghosting" of the LCD text in the window reflection, but it would slowly fade away.

Then, I noticed that there was a gfx driver update (Using Radeon Crimson software). I updated it to software version 17.10.2 and after doing a quick test it seems to have fully cleared up the LCD issue.

PC Specs (pulled from the radeon software system panel):

Overview tab:
    Radeon Software Version - 17.10.2
    Radeon Software Edition - Crimson ReLive
    Graphics Chipset - Radeon(TM) RX 460 Graphics
    Memory Size - 4096 MB
    Memory Type - GDDR5
    Core Clock - 1220 MHz
    Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)
    System Memory - 16 GB
    CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4440S CPU @ 2.80GHz

software tab:
    Radeon Settings Version - 2017.1020.1706.30751
    Driver Packaging Version - 17.40.1021-171020a-319291E-CrimsonReLive
    Provider - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    2D Driver Version - 8.1.1.1624
    Direct3D® Version - 9.14.10.01304
    OpenGL® Version - 6.14.10.13497
    OpenCL™ Version - 23.20.782.0
    AMD Mantle Version - 9.1.10.0228
    AMD Mantle API Version - 102400
    AMD Audio Driver Version - 10.0.1.4
    Vulkan™ Driver Version - 1.7.0
    Vulkan™ API Version - 1.0.54

hardware tab:
    Graphics Card Manufacturer - Powered by AMD
    Graphics Chipset - Radeon(TM) RX 460 Graphics
    Device ID - 67EF
    Vendor ID - 1002
    SubSystem ID - 9460
    SubSystem Vendor ID - 1682
    Revision ID - CF
    Bus Type - PCI Express 3.0
    Current Bus Settings - PCI Express 3.0 x8
    BIOS Version - 015.050.000.000
    BIOS Part Number - 113-BAFFIN_PRO_160513_D5_4GB_MIC_0_W82
    BIOS Date - 2016/07/26 21:55
    Memory Size - 4096 MB
    Memory Type - GDDR5
    Memory Clock - 1750 MHz
    Core Clock - 1220 MHz
    Total Memory Bandwidth - 112 GByte/s
    Memory Bit Rate - 7.00 Gbps
    2D Driver File Path - /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/Class/{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}/0000

23. Rdav Apprentice Engineer

Think I can help alleviate some of peoples issues with this bug, or at least find a repeatable source for the testers, as I encountered both it and workarounds for it while developing my LCD-display based codes, so just a few observations here:

- The bug occurs Primarily to people with AMD graphics cards, even those with updated drivers

- The issue occurs when an LCD is not refreshed every tick, or an LCD texture leaves the players view, for example in my LCD display-code, to prevent the issue happening I have a constantly changing single character on the display, refreshed every tick as a completely new character, this prevents the issue from randomly occurring. If at any point the programmable block refreshing this change is 'paused' or stopped from running, the last LCD texture will be displayed overlayed in shadow form onto the current LCD image.

- If the issue does occur Pressing 'escape' key opening up the menu, and closing the menu again takes away any currently overlayed phantom LCD bits, this works 90% of the time.

I can get a world where the bug persistently occurs by commenting out my workaround fixes if need be, but I have seen a lot of people with this issue.

24. Arcwolf Trainee Engineer

This issue is also reported in another thread and per i23i7's request I created a thread for it on the feedback site Do feel free to vote it up and provide info over there.

• Informative Informative x 1
  25. I23I7 ME Tester

^ this is the best way to get issues in scope!

• Like Like x 1
  26. Tigerstripe Apprentice Engineer

FYI, this is still an unresolved problem in 1.186.4

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Meridius_IX Trainee Engineer

Still getting it as well :/

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.