Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[1.062] Cargo Ship (mining hauler) rotor bug - Observations

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Arcturus, Dec 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Arcturus Senior Engineer

I saw a mining hauler appear in the distance as a yellow dot, playing survival single player on infinite normal density. At the same time, a pair of yellow dots appeared further away in the opposite direction to the mining hauler's travel direction.

As I moved closer and was about 9000 m from the hauler, the following happened:
    - The hauler started to tumble/spin with some kind of angular acceleration (i.e. not a constant spin)
    - The pair of dots, now visible as the pair of hanger doors, accelerated towards the hauler, reaching the top speed.

A few seconds later:
    - The doors collided with the hauler, destroying a random part of the outside.
    - The hauler ceased accelerating, and spun along one axis at a constant rate of rotation

My theory:
    - When the hauler spawns, the main ship is given a velocity but the doors are not.
    - The rotor parts on the blast doors are still "attached" to the ship's rotor bases, despite the large distance.
    - When the ship spawns out of sight, it is not fully collision simulated, so the doors phase out of the ship.
    - When a player comes close enough to the hauler, the ship is simulated. This creates a huge attractive force between the rotor parts and the rotor bases. This force ends when the rotor part is destroyed during the ensuing collision.

Suggested fixes:
    - Give the same velocity to each of the sub-grids of a cargo ship when spawning.
    - Insert a check in the rotor code to "detach" the rotor part if it is an unreasonable distance from the rotor base.

2. HollowVoices Trainee Engineer

That actually offers a really good explanation as to why rotors and such on cargo ships seem to explode after the update. Another theory is that it happens when a ship crosses a sector boundary. Ships jolt violently upon crossing.

Seen this happen a few times, although after the fact.

3. fabricator77 Apprentice Engineer

I've found some of these loose Mining Hauler doors, using SEToolkit.
    One was doing 104m/s, another was 40m/s
    What I found was setting the movement rate to 0m/s, saving and loading the game, only fixed 50% of the problem.
    The slower moving door was stopped, but the one doing max speed, remained at that speed.

Now I have the Mining Hauler itself, its stopped and doing 0m/s.
    It has one destroyed rotor (totally gone), and one intact one. My guess is the one still doing 104m/s belongs to the complete rotor.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.