Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[1.147.004 & 1.148.001&002 DEV] - Grids tearing itself apart;Broken medium cargo container model

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Inflex, Aug 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Inflex Developer Staff

Hey there. I was doing some engineering work on small grids today and found pretty annoying bug on medium cargo container.

Whenever and however I touch one of my small grids and make game recompute overall grid integrity it just blows into my face. To make it short, I found out that this behavior is caused by spontaneous splitting of this grid into multiple smaller ones made mostly by single medium cargo container and by glitching one into each other game makes them explode.

I was investigating little further and found out that grid splitting is caused by wrong model of "build-able surfaces" for medium cargo container. As you can see on screenshot below only one of nine spots is actually able to be connected to another block. This situation is same for every side of medium container.
    [​IMG]

From this it's only single step further to realize why it's possible to build two cargos connected directly to each other in only three exact rotations and no other and why is game splitting girds during the grid integrity recomputation.
    [​IMG]

To make it complete. I don't use any modes nor game modifications, I made game integrity check and still managed to reproduce bug in completely new empty world. No other cargo blocks seem to be affected as you can see on background of second screenshot.

This bug seems to be similar to one already reported here by @Entersprite but probably because of low level of detail nobody took it seriously.

I hope you got enough details now and fix will be soon ;)
    --- Automerge ---
    I found one more description of same bug here by @Shuro.
    --- Automerge ---
    To all who encountered same problem as me there is simple temporary workaround until Keen fix it:
    1)Navigate to game installation folder. (It is usually "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SpaceEngineers").
    2)Continue to Content and then Data folder and locate file named "CubeBlocks.sbc".

Optionally make backup of this file. (Strongly recommended)

3)Open this file in notepad or any favorite text editor and locate definition of medium cargo container ("<SubtypeId>SmallBlockMediumContainer</SubtypeId>", for me it's line 19010)
    4)Few lines lower there is pair of tags named "MountPoints" and inside of these two 6 MountPoint tags.
    5)Edit each EndX and EndY of this mountpoints from 1 to 3.

Save file and enjoy game with working medium cargo container ;)
    For more info inspect image guide here:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 6
  2. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

What is up with the .sbc/XML files? Every other update it seems that some data in them goes sideways? Are they being version controlled properly? We've had advanced hand tools that suddenly have no bonuses because the .sbc file has been altered, for example. There's no reason why this data should be modified unless the blocks are being updated. It feels like someone's old .sbc file is making it into the build and overwriting the correct one.

3. PotatoGolem Apprentice Engineer

Never underestimate the ways version control can get messed up in a large project :) I bet your right, smells like a bad version got opened to make an update :)

To any aspiring software developers out there, I know they gloss over it in school but good robust version control is exactly the same importance (if not more on a large project) as writing good code in the first place in the real world :)

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.