Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[1.173.010][DS] Batteries outputting power while on "recharge"

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by lordreaver, Feb 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. lordreaver Trainee Engineer

Before this patch I could park my ships and set the batteries to "recharge" so they don't get drained by lights or other things.
    But this gets completely ignored now, batteries still output energy, even on "recharge".

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Stroomschok Trainee Engineer

I just noticed that this can be also heavily exploited. Batteries set to recharge still put out energy, but it doesn't reduce the stored amount of energy. So endless free energy...

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Digdug83 Trainee Engineer

I'm seeing it on my DS as well.

4. 4o Apprentice Engineer

confirmed (singleplayer)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  5. Don Jacobs Junior Engineer

Also confirmed in single player survival.

Only turning them off stops it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. lordreaver Trainee Engineer

Lol you're right... how can this even happen? I mean why do they publish things they worked on without telling people? They had no tasks with batteries at all and they just randomly mess things up.. .hilarious, just hilarious!

• Like Like x 1
  7. LeoClarke Trainee Engineer

Hey folks, on the Dev patch notes I mentioned that batteries on planetary landers were generally borked. Instead of constantly editing that one I thought I'd just sum up some odd findings in the Dev version with a new post here, since this is being discussed:

(Note: Running the latest "Dev" version of the game as of 03FEB2017)

In the Planetary Landers, batteries are not discharging properly into the system upon world spawn. Given that the grid has 0.3 kg of Uranium in a reactor, as well, this gives you a very brief window to find a correction, which is as follows:

1. Highlight all batteries in the control panel
    2. Unselect "Semi-Auto"
    3. Unselect "Discharge"

Doing so causes the grid to update and power distributes properly. Continuing on with a Star System playthrough, I've been using strictly solar power for the time being, and the first 'night' has occurred after setting things up, and a rather curious find: All my batteries are on Recharge, my Solar Panels are gone dark... but the station remains powered. There is no external source of power; no reactors, no other grids with power sources, etc. Saving/reloading does not correct the problem, and I've verified by running my refineries and assemblers that I am not consuming power at all. On the Detailed Info screen, you can see the "Current Output" matches the expected draw for my current tasks. See the screenshot snip:

[​IMG]

Again, this battery is set to Recharge as is the other completed/functional battery on station. But note that despite this it has an Output, and also that despite having 1.93 MWh stored, it claims to be fully depleted. Which means that something related to the code logic for "Should this battery be outputting power" and "Update the battery stores while draining" are bugged. Upon setting my station's batteries to Semi-Auto mode, the station immediately loses power, and subsequently unticking Semi-Auto and ticking Recharge causes the station to remain dark - the expected behavior under these circumstances.

Therefore, my best guess as to the culprit has to do with how the game handles updating properties of battery blocks. The game is not properly handling changing circumstances in the grid when it comes to batteries. I believe that the reason the batteries are not properly outputting power to the Planetary Lander is that the ship spawns in all at once, and while the reactor updates and realizes it needs to expend Uranium to power the ship, the batteries do not. Toggling Semi-Auto and selecting the desired battery state (Discharge in the Lander's case, since we want to be able to fly) forces an update which causes the game and grid to behave as intended. However, otherwise you're left with dual issues of having no power on the lander upon spawn when you need it, and if using only battery power, infinite power under specific conditions when batteries are on Recharge. I hope this is helpful in rooting out the source of the problem.

EDIT: Further addendum, having discovered this issue on my station, seems that now once I've gotten the state of "station not powered", no amount of toggling anything appears to be causing the batteries to discharge again and power the station. So, yeah, batteries are just generally FUBAR'd in this Dev version.

EDIT 2: Leaving batteries on Recharge, saving/exiting and reloading gives infinite power again. Whoops.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  8. shadow250 Apprentice Engineer

also small batteries in single player survival do no discharge at all i tried all combinations of the check marks.

9. LeoClarke Trainee Engineer

Can you do me a favor? I don't have a small ship with battery power ready for testing, but can you see if setting them to Recharge (not Semi Auto), saving/quitting and reloading causes that ship to have infinite power as well? Would be interesting/helpful I think to know if the behavior is consistent across large/small grids.

10. Stroomschok Trainee Engineer

It's pretty much impossible now to charge batteries with other batteries.

11. NikolasMarch Junior Engineer

add to this, batteries are not charging from reactors. batteries will drain and be dead until this gets fixed, so limited to just reactor ships :D

12. shadow250 Apprentice Engineer

i tried the restart and the small batteries do get the infinate power bug with recharge checked.

13. nicklas sivén Trainee Engineer

I get the same bug just switching on recharge, and the only way to get the batteries recharging is to have them on semi-auto, wait for them to run out and then they will be able to recieve input power (with recharge being auto checked from semi-auto). Manually toggling on recharge renders the battery not charging but outputting infinite power while discharge iirc, makes the battery output, but the grid doesnt recieve the power. This is the same for both small and large grids.

This started happening with the 172 update (before the hotfix).

14. 1stBiker Trainee Engineer

I'm glad you've posted that because this is exactly what I also observe.
    In my test environment I'm used to discharge Batteries to load others, but that’s currently not happening.

I feared my scripts to be broken since the patch, but obviously the Batteries are FUBAR.
    Thanks OP for addressing the issue !

<<<1stBiker

15. LeoClarke Trainee Engineer

Thank you. Tells me that it's not an issue with an individual block but how the game's code is handling the battery power. Hopefully a dev will notice this and findings and get this patched up soon. It's one of the risks you take with playing the Dev version, I suppose; will be worth the inconvenience to help aid the development though. :)

16. nicklas sivén Trainee Engineer

This happens in the stable version too btw, exactly the same way.

17. Hauth Trainee Engineer

I spent many minutes toggling settings to no avail. After giving up I left my cockpit and suddenly things began to work again. Perhaps entering and exiting the cockpit causes some updating to occur.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. LeoClarke Trainee Engineer

I've noticed that there are numerous other issues with other things not updating properly. They're not batteries but I'm mentioning them here because I believe them to be caused by the same problem; the "not updating" issue. In particular:

• Wheel Suspension settings don't update unless you toggle the Safety Override back and forth.
    • Saving/reloading while driving a rover can cause the vehicle to constantly accelerate upon reload.
    • LCD Panels don't update whether they are displaying textures or text unless you save/reload.
    • Conveyor system is slower than previous builds in drawing items when needed (for example, the Assembler pulling in ingots, or refineries pulling ores). This might be intended behavior for performance reasons.
    Returning more to the original topic: It does seem that charging batteries with Solar or with Reactors works, so if you're patient or you're willing to take that 20% overhead you can at least charge your batteries... and sometimes you can get infinite power if you leave the batteries on Recharge, so at least for now it's playable if you use batteries as your primary power source, but you have to be able to understand how the game is messing up and compensate. A casual player, or one who isn't familiar with software design principles, is going to be completely in the dark (literally). So again hope this gets fixed soon, but like I mentioned I do suspect that the faulty code is a higher level than just the batteries, given the above.

EDIT: Oh, and it also seems that batteries set to recharge (presumably Discharge as well) will not still be in that state when you reload.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  19. nicklas sivén Trainee Engineer

I've been playing with a rover on earth the past few days and have not had a problem with these 2 things.

• Wheel Suspension settings don't update unless you toggle the Safety Override back and forth.
    • Saving/reloading while driving a rover can cause the vehicle to constantly accelerate upon reload.
    It's a listen server with 2-4 people running off of my pc.

20. LeoClarke Trainee Engineer

Entirely possible your results may vary. I'm actually running my game offline without a DS. I realize this thread is a DS thread but I didn't feel it necessary to make a whole new thread just to say "hey, I'm having the same problem without a dedicated server". But no, in my Offline game I've noticed:

• Battery screwups (not distributing power, infinite power on Recharge, not saving the Recharge state on world load)
    • Rover screwups (suspensions not updating some settings (such as offset) correctly, a 'sticking accelerator', and generally very bad handling even on a simple cargo rover using settings that worked fine on earlier builds)
    • LCD Panels not updating properly
    • Explosions for things that shouldn't produce such (ex: I built a rover on a 'stilt' of a small lander so I could work on the underbelly easily, and when I cut it with the grinder it exploded and sent my corpse a solid km away from my Earth station. Irritating but funny as hell.)
    • Physics-related deaths in gravity (the rugged rocks planetside, as well as ores, cause the player to 'skate' on them into voxels which generally leads to severe injury or death)
    • When on a Friends game (not DS, but with myself hosting), having issues where someone else entering a cockpit will either a) cause me to see their HUD as if I were in the ship, including overwriting my gravity/oxygen readout and/or b) transferring my perspective into the cockpit until I suicide/respawn.
    • Severe issues with optimization. Until recently, I was using a GTX 750, and while the game ran perfectly in space and tolerable planetside, recent patches caused it to be jittery in space and unplayable planetside. My new card can handle both with relative ease, but it's working far harder than it should. I understand that over time improvements to the game can cause the performance draw to increase, but I am seeing no significant graphical improvements (and no, I don't count new textures for blocks/voxels) as meriting such a ridiculous increase in graphics requirements.

But I can't easily troubleshoot the physics engine or the cockpit thing or graphics optimization. The best I can do is say "hey, this is messed up" and hope for the best. At least with this issue it's testable, easily reproduced with reliability, and from a coding perspective, relatively simple to pinpoint at least the main symptom if not the direct cause. They mentioned having a HUD redux out soon, which I am looking forward to - hoping that at least some of this stuff can get fixed before then.

I can't help but express some frustration that they are declaring "The game is in BETA now" with such fanfare as to put it on the splash screen and whatnot, and yet the game is generally buggier than it was the last time I took a break from the game.

21. lordreaver Trainee Engineer

I didn't double check it but reactors may be concerned by this, too. I built a small ship with 3 batteries and one reactor. I toggled the batteries completely OFF and only used the reactor. I was flying around for about an hour and I didn't lose ANY uranium..

22. LeoClarke Trainee Engineer

That would be because the game failed to update and realize that the batteries were actually off... so it was 'drawing' power from the batteries and not your reactor, because the game prioritizes power sources from highest to lowest: Solar -> Battery -> Reactor. And since the bug causes the battery to not lose charge, you were flying around for free. The reactor itself isn't to blame; all testing I've done with only reactors show that their behavior is as intended/expected.

23. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

The entire power distribution system seems borked on servers. Someone really phoned this update in.

24. Nurdra Trainee Engineer

I have the same bug and it was there before the 1.172 Update.

I have a few ships with only reactors (small and large) and when I enter the Cockpit, the reactors lasts forever. No Uranium consume at all! If I leave my ships, the reactors start working properly and the Uranium is decreasing...

Edit: It works with stations too. Build a reactor, put some uranium in it, use the Station chair -> Free unlimited energy as Long as you sit in the chair... yay :)

And now with 1.172 the batteries are broken too :(
    Everything works like bevore, but in recharge mode, they not only recharge, they produce power from nowhere and feed the whole energy needs without any costs...

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  25. Duckroll Trainee Engineer

This is causing lots of new players to crash their starting lander as it has no power to keep it in the air.

@hlws Can you get this hotfixed to stable on Thursday?

26. LeoClarke Trainee Engineer

A bit of a quick band-aid you can do until they do finally fix it: Immediately go into control panel for the ship, highlight all the batteries, and uncheck both semi-auto and discharge. It'll force the batteries to update and work properly. I know that's not a proper solution but it'll let you play the game at least.

• Informative Informative x 1
  27. NikolasMarch Junior Engineer

this did not work for me and everyone else i have spoken to... was this in single player?

after turning the reactor off, the battery ticks should be removed anyway. part of the standard procedure for starting in a new lander.

28. LeoClarke Trainee Engineer

It was. Sorry if that doesn't work in MP! That would make it literally impossible to play a Star System game without starting in SP first and opening it up afterward. That sucks!

• Informative Informative x 1
  29. NikolasMarch Junior Engineer

thats interesting to know that the battery functions ok in single player, though some new players have been reporting that the lander just doesnt have enough power, obviously due to the battery bug.... im gonna do some testing i thinks

30. Don Jacobs Junior Engineer

World: Stable Branch, Single Player Survival

A bit of update on my issues.

Situation: Ship attached to static grid. Grid has solar panels for day use, 2 batteries, and 3 small reactors on the 'ship'.

Batteries with no setting will recharge off solars or reactors, while outputting power
    Discharge setting: not happening
    Recharge setting: no recharge, but output to power grid/s, indicate 0 time to depletion

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.